New exhaust manifold - zetec conversion

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, Roger Pennington, erikscimitardemon

pauluspaolo
RSSOC Member

New exhaust manifold - zetec conversion

Post by pauluspaolo » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:07 pm

While the SS1's laid up over winter I've been working on replacing the original cast iron CVH exhaust manifold with a much modified stainless steel manifold that was originally intended for a Focus ST170. I fitted the CVH manifold to the zetec with an adaptor plate, it got the car up & running but I was never very happy with it, as the manifold is now cracked it seems like a good opportunity to try & get the new one sorted out.

As I say the new manifold is much modified: I've cut a chunk out of it (to make it shorter so that it didn't foul the nearside chassis rail), I then got the collector box & downpipe flange welded back onto it. Upon trial fitting it I found that it was the point of the triangular downpipe flange that now fouled the nearside chassis rail :twisted: !! It would have been simpler to cut the flange off & get it welded back on in a different position but the primary pipes ran pretty close to the alternator, & I've no idea where the dipstick would have gone, so I decided to cut the cylinder head mounting flange off, remove an inch or so out of the primaries & get the cylinder head flange welded back on. This is what I've done today & it's been an absolute pain - especially refitting the flange onto the shortened primaries - you'd have thought it would have been simple to fit but it took ages. It all needs tig welding but as I really don't want the flange getting knocked off/dislodged I've dug the welder out & tack welded it on. My welding skills are non-existant but even with bird poo tack welds it looks a heck of a lot better than the tatty original did. I've no idea if it'll improve the power - I hope so even if it's just a minor improvement!!

I now need to make a downpipe (I'm going to try & use some flexible exhust pipe) & make a flange to connect it to the manifold & then make it fit the rest of the exhaust system - I'm sure it'll be easy!! Once the manifold/downpipe etc are sorted I may treat the car to a bigger bore stainless steel exhaust from Tony Law, he's local to me & wants £300ish for a bigger bore stainless steel system (my choice of 1 or 2 silencers). I was pretty close to buying it this year but didn't want to use the naff old manifold with the new exhaust system. Despite being in the business of building bespoke exhaust systems/manifolds Tony Law weren't interested in making me a manifold - hence all the above mucking about with the ST170 manifold.

Looking forward to hearing what you think of it :)

Before:

After:

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Re: New exhaust manifold - zetec conversion

Post by Roger Pennington » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:38 pm

It looks pretty good to me! :D If that's not more efficient than the original, I'll be amazed!

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:54 pm

Looking good :-)

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), 1600 SS1 (G97), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: SE6a (Katrina), 1400EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick), 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), TI SS1 (snotty), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:23 am

Certainly looks better!

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1's - 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5
SE5a Barn Find Project 24 Valve conversion
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:16 am

Very Cheshire. Looks good!
I presume the bottom flange is not the same as original SS1? If it is, then I have some laser cut SS ones spare.

Or if you fancy swapping main flanges my 4-2-1 manifold and twin box system will be up for sale in the near future.....

Philip Andrew. Self assured SS1 know-it-all
Current : SS1 1300 "KMG" - Sideways round a track near you 2017
Also: SS1 1800ti big rebuild on hiatus.

pauluspaolo
RSSOC Member

Post by pauluspaolo » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:10 am

reliant-reviver wrote:Very Cheshire. Looks good!
I presume the bottom flange is not the same as original SS1? If it is, then I have some laser cut SS ones spare.

Or if you fancy swapping main flanges my 4-2-1 manifold and twin box system will be up for sale in the near future.....
Thanks for the comments chaps.

It's still very much a work in progress - as the manifold was designed to fit a Focus ST170 I presume the bottom flange is the same as the one on the downpipe for that car. I've looked for an ST170 downpipe - which I had thought of using/adapting - but the ones I've found all seem to be quite expensive & would need modifying to fit a RWD car. I've made a pattern of the flange so I'll get some steel plate (probably not stainless as I find it hard to drill & I'd need to drill a 3" hole out of it) & will have a go at making my own. I'll get some flexi-pipe to make the actual downpipe which links the manifold to the exhaust system. I'm not planning to go through the chassis like the original exhaust does but until I get the flexi I'm not sure of the route or what the clearance will be like - the idea I have in mind takes the downpipe between the engine & chassis rail, then under the outrigger to the existing exhaust system (which is stainless steel but otherwise standard SS1 in terms of bore/number of silencers/route etc).

Thanks for the offer Phil - Any chance of some pics of the manifold/system you're selling? It might be quicker & possibly (probably!) cheaper, in the long run, to buy yours & get the cylinder head flange changed!! Send me a PM if you prefer :)

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:03 am

Something like this -

It's specced up for a 1900 CVH and more than capable for a 175+BHP setup.

1.75" primaries and 2" main system diameter.

Mounts up to the stock 2 points, with an additional support under passenger seat rail. Some inner wing surgery required, but I can include that!

Philip Andrew. Self assured SS1 know-it-all
Current : SS1 1300 "KMG" - Sideways round a track near you 2017
Also: SS1 1800ti big rebuild on hiatus.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:10 am

If Paul doesn't have it I will :-)

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), 1600 SS1 (G97), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: SE6a (Katrina), 1400EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick), 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), TI SS1 (snotty), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.

pauluspaolo
RSSOC Member

Post by pauluspaolo » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:30 am

PM sent regarding the manifold/exhaust system :)

pauluspaolo
RSSOC Member

Post by pauluspaolo » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:56 pm

Just back from the welder who's welded the main flange back onto the shortened primaries - very happy with the quality & cost (£20!) :)

We're away this weekend so I'm hoping to have a go at fitting it tonight (not got much time though) - I now need to get some M8 studs, make a flange, get some 65mm tube & try & figure out the downpipe :? :D

Last edited by pauluspaolo on Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alan SS1

Post by Alan SS1 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:19 pm

those look MUCH nicer than my half a**s*d attempt using MIG (with CO2) Though seems to be keeping the fumes in so far :-)

PS is that a dinner (or dentist's) trolley ?

SS1 1600 (AJZ ----), Regal 330 (VAV ---), C30 (SK 57 ---)& 480 (EVU ---)

pauluspaolo
RSSOC Member

Post by pauluspaolo » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:01 pm

It's a trolley that the catering dept at work was throwing out due to duff castors. I replaced the castors & it's fine now. I'm a support technician at a small university in Leeds, one of my many & varied duties is to prepare science classes & I use the trolley for putting the equipment on :-)

I didn't think a mig, even with CO2, would touch stainless steel??

:-)

zipperkarting

Post by zipperkarting » Fri May 19, 2017 8:50 pm

Has anyone produced 3-branch manifolds for Scimitar GTE with Essex V6?
Be interested if anyone has anything or a contact.
Thanks
Paul

Archibald Tyre

Post by Archibald Tyre » Fri May 19, 2017 9:20 pm

I must have spent too much time on social media - I keep looking for the button to click "like" on every picture.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Fri May 19, 2017 9:46 pm

zipperkarting wrote:Has anyone produced 3-branch manifolds for Scimitar GTE with Essex V6?
Yep - club traders (started supplying them about 30 years ago :D)

Jim King

Return to “SS1/SST/Sabre”