Zinc plating DIY kit project

Have you documented a Scimitar related procedure and would like to share it with others? Pictures are most welcome!
Threads will be locked once posted, so any further questions in the specific forum, please.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Stephenl
RSSOC Member

Re: Zinc plating DIY kit project

Post by Stephenl » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:48 am

if i knew what that was I might look in to it..

'69 SE5

SRF

Post by SRF » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:15 am

When I bought a system from Frosts in the UK they included a separate bath which contained a solution called passivate which stabilises the plating

[quote][/quote]Definition of PASSIVATE

: to make inactive or less reactive <passivate the surface of steel by chemical treatment>

I don't know what chemicals are involved.

Ray

Reliant Scimitar SE5 1971. Already restored Sunbeam Rapier,Morris Minor,Rover P4, and Triumph Vitesse. I have also restored 8 classic tractors over the past 18 years. My latest project is a Bond Equipe GT4s

Oaksey
RSSOC Member

Post by Oaksey » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:41 am

2 Passivates came in my kit, one colours gold and one bright silver.

They are very bad chemicals. I can't remember exactly what the label says, but there's something about cancer if breathing vapours...

Josh Oakes
2015, 2016 and 2017 SSSC Champion
1974 Yellow Se5a Overdrive
1971 Blue Jaguar XJ6
1966 Blue Coupe Straight Six
Previous- Coupe S6,
SS1 Ti, E90 SS1 Ti, SE6a x3, SE5 Auto, SS1 CVH, Mk2 Sabre, Rebel Estate

Stephenl
RSSOC Member

Post by Stephenl » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:20 pm

Here was my first item and it was a big success. It took a few hours but I got a nice thick coating on. This had a lot of rusty areas that when it was in the bath didn't seem to go away but when I took it out and cleaned it the tarnishing went away and whilst the pitting is still there the zinc makes it look a lot more presentible.
I was excited about galvanizing things but then it all stopped working. My power source died, it did seem to get pretty hot. I found another one (an old phone charger) and same again; it worked for a while but then packed in. I think that I am overloading it and frying the insides.
Because I was using something that more less has the sort of power I wanted I didn't go for any resistors in the circuit, just stripping the end of the wire and attaching it to the anode/cathode. What do you guys think, is that why I have killed it? I've got m,y potentiometer now, maybe that will work.

I have also tried a 12v 2a battery charger. I put some bulbs in that between the +ve and the bath and it worked a treat but was too much juice. The plating was too lumpy and didn't adhere well. Slow is pro in this game I think. the charger also started to smell a bit fruity as well so I called it off.

'69 SE5

93fxdl

Post by 93fxdl » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:06 pm

Since you're getting into playing with vats of chemicals and electricity, I thought you might have tried electrolitic rust removal to clean the parts first.
Ttfn Glenn

Stephenl
RSSOC Member

Post by Stephenl » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:20 pm

I've thought about that. There was a write up in practical classics I can follow but I want to perfect this first otherwise there isn't much point.

'69 SE5

tony.idle
RSSOC Member

Post by tony.idle » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:24 pm

Stephenl wrote:Here was my first item and it was a big success. It took a few hours but I got a nice thick coating on. This had a lot of rusty areas that when it was in the bath didn't seem to go away but when I took it out and cleaned it the tarnishing went away and whilst the pitting is still there the zinc makes it look a lot more presentible.
I was excited about galvanizing things but then it all stopped working. My power source died, it did seem to get pretty hot. I found another one (an old phone charger) and same again; it worked for a while but then packed in. I think that I am overloading it and frying the insides.
Because I was using something that more less has the sort of power I wanted I didn't go for any resistors in the circuit, just stripping the end of the wire and attaching it to the anode/cathode. What do you guys think, is that why I have killed it? I've got m,y potentiometer now, maybe that will work.

I have also tried a 12v 2a battery charger. I put some bulbs in that between the +ve and the bath and it worked a treat but was too much juice. The plating was too lumpy and didn't adhere well. Slow is pro in this game I think. the charger also started to smell a bit fruity as well so I called it off.
Use your battery charger but with enough bulbs to reduce the current to what you've been using. The power source voltage is irrelevant as long as you reduce the current by using sufficient resistance (bulbs, whatever). Your pot will go the way of your phone chargers.

Regards

Tony

Embrace your feminine side - RTFM

RSSOC 2332 since 1981
Past: 2x5A, GTC. Current: SST, Smart, Hymer Motorhome, Rialto, Robin, Bug, MZ Skorpion x2.

windy

Post by windy » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:54 pm

I've just had a close look at the picture of your set-up & it looks as though you still have your multimeter connected directly across the positive & negative of your charger. This will no doubt be the cause of them frying. The easiest way I can describe how to connect it is to basically set your circuit up as normal without a multimeter, then cut through just one of the power supply wires & attach one multimeter lead to one of the cut ends & the other multimeter lead to the other cut end. Then your multimeter is in "series" & will measure the current flowing in the circuit :)

Oaksey
RSSOC Member

Post by Oaksey » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:09 pm

I use the multimeter with one lead on the negative battery terminal and one in the solution

Josh Oakes
2015, 2016 and 2017 SSSC Champion
1974 Yellow Se5a Overdrive
1971 Blue Jaguar XJ6
1966 Blue Coupe Straight Six
Previous- Coupe S6,
SS1 Ti, E90 SS1 Ti, SE6a x3, SE5 Auto, SS1 CVH, Mk2 Sabre, Rebel Estate

Stephenl
RSSOC Member

Post by Stephenl » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:31 am

Thanks guys, I'll give this a try tomorrow. Makes taking the pictures worthwhile. Next lamb to the slaughter is a power supply for a printer I no longer have! And my wife asked why i was keeping all that "crap". "Might come in handy one day"; who's laughing now :-)

'69 SE5

windy

Post by windy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:53 am

I had a quick go with a very basic set-up last night & got some good results;
This was just using 100g of epsom salts dissolved into 500ml of distilled vinegar, with an old AA battery case as the source of zinc.
The charger was on its lowest 6v setting & it took a couple of hours to get a decent plate on the old screwdriver tip but this is likely because the zinc needs a bit of time to get into the solution, and should speed up with more use. An alternative would be to add zinc sulphate to the solution but I was just keeping it simple & cheap this time. The total outlay was just £2.16 for the epsom salts & vinegar.

Coelhomaluco

Post by Coelhomaluco » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:21 pm

tony.idle wrote:Is there a simple formula that relates those last three figures? :W

Yes there is, its called Ohm's law where R=U/I where R is the resistance in ohms, U is the voltage suplied and I the amperage. You can scramble that formula around to find any of the other constants like U=RxI or I=U/R

If you google it, some sites replace U for V (volts) but all the same :)

Hope that clears it a bit

1976 Kitten "patina look" here

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:42 pm

Or even E for EMF. What's this "amperage"? Current?

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

tony.idle
RSSOC Member

Post by tony.idle » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:54 pm

Coelhomaluco wrote:
tony.idle wrote:Is there a simple formula that relates those last three figures? :W

Yes there is, its called Ohm's law where R=U/I where R is the resistance in ohms, U is the voltage suplied and I the amperage. You can scramble that formula around to find any of the other constants like U=RxI or I=U/R

If you google it, some sites replace U for V (volts) but all the same :)

Hope that clears it a bit
That was a tongue-in-cheek question aimed at Geoff (toomanysabres). :hand: :mrgreen:

Regards

Tony

Embrace your feminine side - RTFM

RSSOC 2332 since 1981
Past: 2x5A, GTC. Current: SST, Smart, Hymer Motorhome, Rialto, Robin, Bug, MZ Skorpion x2.

Coelhomaluco

Post by Coelhomaluco » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:57 am

Woops... Well, it can be helpfull for other members. Anyway, I never tried electroplating, but electrolitical rust removal works a treat. Done a motorbike fuel tank and It came out lovely.

1976 Kitten "patina look" here

Return to “How To Guides”