A 1600GT Crossflow Engined Reliant Rebel...

For other Reliants.
Also known as Kitten Corner, Rebels Retreat..make up your own name!
We all know Reliant ownership is contagious

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Scimher

Re: A 1600GT Crossflow Engined Reliant Rebel...

Post by Scimher » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:18 am

...Great work chaps..................

Barrie James
RSSOC Member

Post by Barrie James » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:34 am

A really great job, I admire your enthusiasm and commitment. You'll have a superb van when it's done, though I must admit to preferring it as an estate, I have a soft spot for Rebel estates.

Barrie.
2000 MGF Wedgwood SE
2002 Peugeot Partner 1400
RSSOC 2778

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:47 pm

Superb, I'll be following this thread!
Keep up the good work.

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014>
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:54 am

Over the bank holiday weekend Dave and I found a couple of days to devote to the crossflow rebel "ORJI" (also known as Orji of filth or Orji of Death.)

The hope was to do all the outstanding work needed to get the crossflow up to an mot-able standard... As it turned out we didnt quite get to that stage but Its very close now.

The recent work included sorting wheels out the fronts are now 3.75" triumph pcd and the rears are standard 4" reliant, there is a medium term plan to standardise the setup to 4". The mismatched front and rears have been fitted with a new set of tyres which are 13" but with a reduced profile making the rolling radius pretty much standard. This means all the tyres are now the same radius AND profile!

The Fuel tank sender was dropped off and unblocked to allow the petrol tank to be reconnected, at the same time a new petrol pipe was fitted.

The broken rear numberplate was replaced.

The faulty wiper motor was found to be caused by corroded connections in both switch and at the motor.

The screen wash jet has been relocated to the scuttle from its normal place on the bonnet, with the flip front the standard location left a long length of hose trialing around the engine bay which was not ideal. The blade fuse box has been replaced for a standard lucas 4 glass fuse setup. This restores the electrics to their standard setup. There is still some work to do to binding the wiring loom up so that its protected and secure. The new fuse box also needs fitting to a suitable insulated surface.

The brake overhaul was also finished; the offside caliper had to be replaced with one bought off ebay as the old one had developed a leek from the bleedscrew. The two good calipers were then treated to new seals and pistons. At the rear the solid brake lines were replaced as were the wheel cylinders and brake shoes. In the engine bay a lockheed remote servo has been fitted and plumbed in. This has given the braking a very light almost modern feel which is very unusual to find in a rebel! Tested at low speed there seems to be a good amount of stopping power available.

A poke at the floor has highlighted quite a few cracks, this is a common rebel problem and can be easily fixed with new fibreglass. Technically I don't think it should be an mot fall on a car with a separate chassis but Its on the list to fix before testing regardless. Interestingly the passenger side has obviously been involved in an accident at some point in the past as it has a number of splits which suggest it has gone into something hard sideways...

The mangled passenger side outriggers were removed, these had been mangled by a previous owner the plan is to make up some slimline replacements.

There were a few other slightly irrelevent jobs done such as adding a stainless front grill and the fitting a 1600 badge which seems to nicely complement the original rebel badge.

I've only got a few phone pics as My sister was borrowing my usual camera.

Rear Overview:

Removed outrigger

Old accident damage and new tyres...

Rear badges:

Overview:

Temporary Front grill, if i decide to keep it the front end will be replaced with a new moulding based on the blue van.

Floor Cracks:

New MOT list Reads like this:

fiberglass Repair

Drivers Door handle Replacement,

Check more wiring loom for security / Fit more loom tape)

secure battery,

Fit seatbelts,

There are lots of other things it needs but very few of them are Safetly / mot critical so I'm hopeful another weekends work will see it tested... then a period of testing and evaluation can begin!

Scimher

Post by Scimher » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:36 am

...It's coming on nicely - should have a good power to weight ratio with that engine...

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Sun May 11, 2014 1:42 am

Right hopefully a slightly better crossflow post this time, hopefully with some more reasonable photos which I took this morning during a break in the rain. Sorry there are no work in progress shots as the work over the weekend was all a bit rushed.

Following on from the last decent post the MOT shortlist was as follows:

Fibreglass repairs to floor,

Fibreglass repairs to sill / wheelarch,

Replace outriggers on passenger side,

Secure a battery and the wiring loom.

Fit a drivers door handle,

Fix a blowing exhaust downpipe,

Dave and I had a few days to spare last week and began by starting with the fiberglass repair work, the cracks to the floor were easily ground back and prepared from the inside, but the sill / passenger wheelarch repair quickly became a pain consuming lots of time... The damaged section was mainly reattached with filler at a slightly wonky angle. Picking at it soon made the whole section fall off. leaving a section from sill to wheelarch which needed to be repaired properly. Its this bit here if anyone's wondering what I'm on about:

With the badly repaired section missing it was much easier to repair the floor which had distorted out of aligment and was no longer flat. Rebel floors and Coupe floors seem to be very prone to distortion around the outriggers which can result in cracks or deformation to the fibreglass as the floor is stretched by the weight of bodyshell over the years. I can only imagine that accident damage makes this problem worse.

The decision was taken to prioritise the structural interior work and worry about the outside at a later date.

These photos show the completed repair work to the floor:

The outer sill-rear arch section was reattached, it was held in place with steel strips which will be removed when the outside repair work is completed, with an mot in mind the part completed outer repairs were covered in tape to prevent any sharp edges being a problem.

Dave fabricated some slimline passenger side outriggers which actually to allow the exhaust to clear, (sortof)

Rear outrigger / seatbelt mount

A standard outrigger on the drivers side:

The wiring loom was bound up in new tape, the fuse box was secured with cable ties...

There was also a bit of time spent improving the brake line security and bolting the servo down properly.

The battery was borrowed from the blue rebel and bolted down properly (i don't have a photo of that but I do have a picture of the old setup used during testing which is a good example of how not to secure a battery:

The pedals were also de-mateyed a previous owner had welded a steel section into the clutch to improve the mechanical advantage and lighten the clutch this had in turn made the pedals very skewed. His modification was removed and the clutch was returned to standard restoring it to pretty much its factory positioning:

The exhaust was bodged up to stop the blow, it was too thin to weld, hence this awful mess which has at least stopped the blow:

it will likely be replaced with a decent replacement downpipe in the near future.

At this point there will doubtless be someone wondering why I'm doing only doing the bare minimum to get this on the road rather than going for a red rebel / scimitar spec proper repair, the short version is I don't know if this rebel is one to keep yet and with that in mind I've not wanted to tie up too much time and money in it until I know what its like on the road...

Its first long distance run was on Tuesday when Dave took it to the local test station for an initial test where it duly failed on:

Headlights not working (though they worked before leaving home)

Handbrake balance,

brake lines insufficiently secured (even though these were unchanged from how reliant had done it)

Nylock nuts on ball joints only having 1 turn of thread showing!

A Trunnion bolt missing a nut!

It was a pretty short fail sheet which Dave took care of that afternoon while i rushed of to work. I took it back for a retest on Thursday and it passed ok,

The mot flagged up a few issues we'd not been aware of; most importantly the rear wheel bearings are well past their best and need replacing as a matter of priory.

So how did it drive?

Well not that well but with potential... The biggest issue seems to be the carb which is a twin choke weber 36dgmv it currently only seems to fuel to half throttle. It probably has a blocked secondary jet or a fault with an acceleration diaphragm which will hopefully be cured by a service kit. It also has a tendency to stall at junctions probably caused by an excessively rich idle mixture. It wants a decent overhaul which will hopefully cure the fueling issues, Even at half throttle it seems to take of rapidly enough to throw you back in your seat, lurching forward with unexpected eagerness. The regal rear wheels are hopelessly narrow to apply the power and it seems to wheel spin very easily with a back end very prone to step out... which is entertaining but not especially useful on the road. Mid term wider banded steel wheels should help in this respect. Through the corners the extra up front weight of the crossflow is noticeable though fitting an anti roll bar will probably go a long way towards bringing this under control. The current positioning of the engine is not as far back as it could be so that's something else that might be up for adjustment in the future.

The following photos show that there is further room to move the engine back...

Engine mount which has been modified to fit could be replaced with a standard item if the engine was mounted further back.

I'll end this post with a couple of overview photos taken this morning:

So next steps? sort out the tax category with the DVLA and fix the carb then we'll see how it develops from there

scimmy ben
RSSOC Member

Post by scimmy ben » Sun May 11, 2014 3:15 am

I know its not what you were aiming at but I like the rat rod look on this - just needs a roof rack :)

Is VED free on this or is that next year?

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Sun May 11, 2014 8:55 am

It should already be tax free as the chassis number confirms it was made in late 1972 ( it has a lower number than the blue van which is already historic)

Scimher

Post by Scimher » Sun May 11, 2014 2:09 pm

scimmy ben wrote:I know its not what you were aiming at but I like the rat rod look on this - just needs a roof rack :)
...Needless to say, so do I..!!... :mrgreen: Well done on the MOT....Re. the rear wheels/tyres, I've just been reading a biography on James Hunt & am reminded that he kept his much loved little A35 van on crossplies because it made the handling more ..er..entertaining! :twisted:
Is VED free on this or is that next year?

Chgperformance

Post by Chgperformance » Sun May 11, 2014 2:34 pm

Seeing posts like this makes me want to finish my rebel, AND convert it to a van! The amount of people who ask for the sliding rear windows means I should really!

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Sun May 11, 2014 3:24 pm

Chgperformance wrote:Seeing posts like this makes me want to finish my rebel, AND convert it to a van! The amount of people who ask for the sliding rear windows means I should really!
I've got a set of side windows I'd sell so you can point them my way if you like.

Chgperformance

Post by Chgperformance » Sun May 11, 2014 4:32 pm

Are they fixed or sliding? I have a set of fixed that no-one wants :(

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Sun May 11, 2014 6:57 pm

They are the desirable sliding ones

Return to “Other 4 Wheeled Reliants”