Rebel Van Rebuild - FOR SALE

For other Reliants.
Also known as Kitten Corner, Rebels Retreat..make up your own name!
We all know Reliant ownership is contagious

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

ScimitarMatt
RSSOC Member

Re: Rebel Van Rebuild

Post by ScimitarMatt » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:04 pm

Gent's, again I'm in awe. It's so nice to see my rebel being used properly and restored well.

Can't wait to see it in the flesh again one day ;)

http://www.scimitargt.co.uk
RSSOC Coupe Registrar & Press Officer
coupe.registrar@rssoc.co.uk

PLEASE NO PM'S, EMAIL ME

'64 SE4, '70 SE4b,'75 SE5a, & Yvonnes SS1 Ti

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:16 pm

Stephenl wrote:A quick question from a div.

Is there a difference between gel coat and resin? Is it different ingredients or is it the same stuff with different ratio and (as far as I can see) some white pigment in it?
As I understand it, gel coat sets anaerobically, so the side against the mould sets, but the topside stays tacky ready to bond to the grp layers. The resin is the reverse (aerobic) so that it's tacky against the gel coat or previous grp layers, but sets completely on the topside (so you don't stick to it afterwards!).

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Alan SS1

Post by Alan SS1 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:44 pm

IIRK Gel coat has 'filler' to block light etc and give a smooth finish at LOW cost ie filler is cheaper than resin. same principle as making paper, clay/chalk/bentonite is low cost vs fibre/resin IIRC maybe talc was used in gel-coat?
If you use 100% boat grade resin it so sodding hard the file dances off it!!! so no chance of sanding it down!
Boat/commercial resin uses a different resin and different hardner ie MEK peroxide in Liquid vs Benzyl Peroxide in paste (Isopon etc)

PS both 'go off' using a cross linking chemical reaction which is EXO thermic and is why once you start it the pot gets darned hot (in big volumes) and that is about all I can remember from my organic chemictry lectures :-)

SS1 1600 (AJZ ----), Regal 330 (VAV ---), C30 (SK 57 ---)& 480 (EVU ---)

g scot

Post by g scot » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:14 pm

a good artical.

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:55 pm

The van now has side panels! :)

We spent the last 2 days putting the panels in and giving a rough coat of paint generally very pleased with the result, the fine fettling on the paintwork will be done in the future when the whole van will be repainted.

In other news the van is now tax exempt which took a while to sort the paperwork out with the dvla.

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:19 pm

Great stuff guys! Kudos for doing a proper job of returning it to a van as well.

Philip Andrew. Self assured SS1 know-it-all
Current : SS1 1300 "KMG" - Sideways round a track near you 2017
Also: SS1 1800ti big rebuild on hiatus.

ScimitarMatt
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimitarMatt » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:40 pm

I WANT IT BACK!!! ;)

PLEASE NO PM'S, EMAIL ME

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:41 pm

Get in line Matt!

Philip Andrew. Self assured SS1 know-it-all
Current : SS1 1300 "KMG" - Sideways round a track near you 2017
Also: SS1 1800ti big rebuild on hiatus.

ScimitarMatt
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimitarMatt » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:43 pm

:)

PLEASE NO PM'S, EMAIL ME

PatrickMcRebel

Post by PatrickMcRebel » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:21 pm

Good job! Have you kept the moulds?

1993 Reliant Scimitar Sabre 1400cvh
1971 Reliant Rebel 700 Saloon

reliant1
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant1 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:29 pm

wow reminds me of taking my kitten on holiday to the IOW and the dealer there also worked in fibreglass.

previous reliants super robin , kitten ss1, Currently SS1 1600 tarn green brought back again

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:04 pm

We've kept the moulds for the panels, so if anyone wants a set get in touch..... Had a run up to the midlands at the weekend in the van and it ran perfectly,
There's still lots of jobs that need doing and parts that want replacing but it seems a happy little van now it's got its panels back!

Dave

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:26 am

Hard to believe that this thread has not had an update since March...!

Its easy to let updates slip once a car is on the road but hopefully this post will fill in some of the gaps I've failed to talk about during the past few months. Since returning to the road and getting its panels the van has been in regular use clocking up the miles....

As seen here In Birmingham:

Rebel Van with dated architecture (petersfield)

Rebel Van in Grimsby:

and as documented in another thread recently... Stoke on Trent:

This year its done 4400+ miles, In the time since the engine swap its needed a fuel pump and a different dynamo to replace parts that were long past their prime. But other than that its been a faithful workhorse that has repeatedly exceeded my expectations. To the point where I now happily overlook some of its very real faults. eg the inability to see out of the wing mirrors, the huge amount of transmitted road noise when doing 50+mph and the tendency to get blown about by high winds or high sided vehicles when traveling at speed :shock: .

With the one year ownership mark fast approaching my thoughts recently turned to securing the next MOT and addressing some of the problems that had been deferred when the van when back on the road. These really needed to be sorted to guarantee the little rebel van a chance to stay on the road in the longer term.

With this in mind I took the van over to the isle of wight where the plan was to make and fit a set of replacement chassis outriggers. Heres a look at the old ones:

Passenger side rear, The rusty hole is actually the seat belt mounting point hidden beneath a large washer :shock: .

Passenger side rear outrigger profile view, This shows the basic construction, steel pressings spot welded together which has left a rust trap between the surfaces. This had then been very badly overplated in a previous repair.

The front Passenger side outrigger, which had again been overplated

The front drivers side outrigger, the whole in the middle is caused but water accumulating between the 2 spot welded sections over many years,

Despite the appearances the Reliant outriggers were surprisingly solid still and did take some effort to remove, the previous repair work leaves alot to be desired and while it was hiding the problems of the original design it wasn't actually providing any real strength.

A new set of outriggers were put together, These were fabricated out of 3mm steel plate which is slightly thicker than standard. They are made to the same pattern we used on the rebel saloon we did last year. This design includes a wider top which can be used to fasten a B-pillar roll bar to the chassis if one is fitted at a later date.

Photo Shows a set of outriggers before final trimming, rears at the top fronts ant the bottom.

For the Mot the Van needed 3 Dust Boots for the track rods, a nearside Tyre and the front brake balance sorting (turned out to be a sticking piston in a cylinder)

The following pictures show the van up on the MOT lift and the new outriggers fitted.... Sorry about the lousy Iphone pictures I'd left my good camera behind. :(

Finally a couple of post Mot shots Which show the van as it currently is with its correct tail lights fitted and chrome bumpers fitted.

Plans in the new year include sorting the interior out with some carpet / insulation fitting some door mirrors to replace the wing mirrors and working on a high ratio axle swap. The mid term plan will still be to get the body off and get it nicely painted etc but in the meantime I'm now happy that its now all solid and the fine details like nice paintwork can wait until the weather is better.

Joe
Last edited by Joe. on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

ScimitarMatt
RSSOC Member

Post by ScimitarMatt » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:34 am

More excellent work Joe (I still miss it though)

PLEASE NO PM'S, EMAIL ME

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:13 am

ScimitarMatt wrote:More excellent work Joe (I still miss it though)
Cheers Matt, Not surprised you miss it especially with your strong family connection to it. I do sometimes worry that I'm not giving it the pampered lifestyle that might be expected of a rare little van. But while its certainly not a car for show, I love its honesty. Part of me will regret the day that it gets painted and looses its shabby chipped paint charm. It gets some great reactions from other drivers quite often you'll get car fulls of people looking on in surprise or kids waving. I've been consistently shocked and pleased by the attitude of general public who seem to have a very genuine interest in it, It probably starts more conversations with strangers than my GTE ! :w
Last edited by Joe. on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Other 4 Wheeled Reliants”