Rebel Van Rebuild - FOR SALE

For other Reliants.
Also known as Kitten Corner, Rebels Retreat..make up your own name!
We all know Reliant ownership is contagious

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Rebel Van Rebuild - FOR SALE

Post by Joe. » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:34 am

As Matt mentioned in his thread I've recently bought his Rebel Van.

The intention is to get it back on the road on a minimum budget for the time being, Then once the Red Rebel Saloon is fully finished the Van will get the same body off treatment, sort the chassis and completely rebuild the suspension, replace the rear side panels which have been chopped out to make it an estate/van with windows! etc etc.

The following photos are of the 500 mile round trip to collect it from Lancashire in the Scimitar, My first time towing in the winter and at night!

Scimitar and trailer about to leave Home.

At the Services heading north.

After a nights sleep in the car we met Matt and loaded up the Rebel.

Few photos looking at the car taken on the way home.

Inside was a mix of spares, 4 Engines 3 850's and a 750'

The trip home on saturday took about 5 hours, With the Rebel safe in the garage we started to take a look at what we'd actually got and start to remove some of the accumulated shit.

Unloading.. (the tailgate was removed as it was mostly held on with gaffa tape!)

We got the bonnet open to discover that the engine bay had been painted in black stone chip paint for some reason.. :?

With the van cleared of spares and shite we started stripping out years of owner modifications,

In the front there were two layers of carpet one on top of the other, Looking at the manual the Van was supplied with a painted floor and over-mats so would probably have been quite a loud drive!

Cleaning the engine bay,

Interior with carpets removed, revealing the original speckled paint,

Rear View

Last edited by Joe. on Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Re: Rebel Van Rebuild

Post by Joe. » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:45 am

With all the parts unloaded we started working out what we had and what parts were needed,
The clutch master cylinder was missing, Radiator was holed (and a later type), Handbrake cable had been cut, Front brake shoes were missing, Taillight and indicator bodies were rusted beyond repair.

We then took the wheels off and the car up on axle stands for a decent look at the chassis. The main rails appear to be in good condition, but the outriggers are a real weak point on the Rebel and could do with replacing.

Drivers side Front, Notice the bolts have been removed on the towers, it looked like someone had prepped the car to remove the body.

Passenger side front

Outrigger,

Chassis general view

Gearbox Mount area,

Front

Mount for Brake master cylinder

Drivers side rear,

Propshaft, axle and diff.

Seatbelt mount point

Petrol tank, This has been drained and appears not to leak.

Scimher

Post by Scimher » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:34 am

Brilliant!....Great photos & fascinating vehicle! Be lovely to see it 'develop'...(Bet the 'rig' attracted a bit of attention on the way back....!!!)

Daniel Rodd

Post by Daniel Rodd » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:46 am

Great stuff,if you need any pictures let me know,particularly the rear van panels,i have what i think is the only actual van that is currently on the road,so am happy to help get another one back to being a van :D

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:20 pm

When the van first arrived we ordered the first lot of parts and so far the Rebel and so far the list isnt too long:

Handbrake cable, - Supplied but the Kitten Register thanks Brian
Radiator, - bought a new one for a mini
2 New Master cylinders - bought off the shelf from my local classic oriented motor factors,
A tail light, -
A starter solenoid,
Cylinder Rebuild Kits,
Replacement front cylinders - (turned out to be badly made pattern parts which did not fit,
Front Brake shoes, - Which still wave not arrived

Everything else we've uses is either stuff that came with the car of spares that were in the garage. or have been borrowed from the stock of bits intended for the other rebel.

Few Photos,

Master Cylinders, I think we were lucky to find these and they were the most expensive Item bought to date. They are not thought to be a common part with this combination of bore and sideways fixing. It would be possible to make adapter plates up to take more common land rover style master cylinder should availability be a problem in the future.

Exaust was removed to get a good look at the outriggers, It turned out to be stainless which was nice.

One of the 850's that came with the Van was dropped in we don't know much about any of the engines that came with the car except that this one was the most complete and seemed to have good compression. Old Rad being trial fitted to see how it should be mounted.

Dropping the engine in has revealed a difference in the engine frontplates between the Rebels and their 3wheeled cousins, This rebel was missing its original engine and so we are short of a Rebel front plate.

So for the time being temporary adaptor plates have been made, We're now on the lookout for a front plate to suit a rebel.

Engine with new Radiator, The bracket over the rocker cover is the support for an improvised throttle cable, it was later cut down.

There was no starter motor on any of the engines we got with the car and our spare was to fit the later type 850 engine and had a different mounting bracket and 10 teeth in stead of nine.

Photo of Dave's custom made radiator mounting bracket.

chrisgallacher
RSSOC Member

Post by chrisgallacher » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:33 pm

I love these threads. Great stuff, keep it coming!

Puts my own progress to shame though.

Chris Gallacher
RSSOC Rally Secretary
rally.secretary@rssoc.co.uk

Daniel Rodd

Post by Daniel Rodd » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:08 pm

is there any chance you could divulge where you got the masters from,and what sort of price they were pretty please?im in desperate need of a pair as my 750 van is my only transport and they are both on their last legs

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:26 pm

They were expensive at £53 each, but they are genuine Girling parts and the price included a new seal kit.

If you have the cylinders already you might be able to get away with rebuild kits but it depends on the condition of the bores.

I bought mine from Speedy Spares over in Portslade though I don't think they have many more.

The position of Master Cylinders on the rebels will always make them pick up dirt and girt more than they do in the engine bay on other cars. In the long term I think the conversion to use a series land rover master cylinder with an adapter plate will be the way to go as old stock items are going to become increasingly expensive and hard to find.

Daniel Rodd

Post by Daniel Rodd » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:53 pm

thats cheap! i will give them a bell in the new year,what did you ask for?rebel ones or were they the same as anything else? i know that the standard girling 12-6 mount ones internals will fit inside the rebel one so long as the bore is good,thats what i did to my clutch one.
I might be able to sort a front engine plate for you next week,The Rebel one is totally different to the three wheelers as the mounts are further apart and further forward.
Interestingly yours has the later 750 radiator but the early 750 rear lights(which are a lot easier to find than the late ones mine has)

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:14 pm

Daniel Rodd wrote:thats cheap! i will give them a bell in the new year,what did you ask for?rebel ones or were they the same as anything else? i know that the standard girling 12-6 mount ones internals will fit inside the rebel one so long as the bore is good,thats what i did to my clutch one.
I might be able to sort a front engine plate for you next week,The Rebel one is totally different to the three wheelers as the mounts are further apart and further forward. Interestingly yours has the later 750 radiator but the early 750 rear lights(which are a lot easier to find than the late ones mine has)
I asked for the Girling part number and they looked it up I've not got it to hand at the min, but it came from a back issue of the kitten reg newsletter. I'd be interested to see a photo of your front-plate. I've just been looking it up in the manual and it shows it as having separate bolt on feet.

Tail lights on this rebel are not standard ones they have been replaced at some point in the past, Similarly the Radiator is not the correct type for a van of this year but at this stage I'm interested in functionality rather than concourse spec. If correct parts come up for sale at a good price they can always be swapped over later.

PS I'll stick up the last set of photos I have showing Rebel Van progress in a bit, I've even got a video of it running! :)

Daniel Rodd

Post by Daniel Rodd » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:39 pm

brilliant,ive become a self taught 750 van guru lately since buying my 73 van earlier this year,after wanting it since 2008 lol,and have been soaking up as much info as i can find,even managed to get the commercial motor road test of it.using it every day means that i quickly find out what parts i need and where i can get them from.the exhaust proved the most difficult to get,and i still am in need of a new or stainless one,all the reliant dealers laughed at me,reliant didnt know what a rebel was,and i ended up getting a reasonable second hand one 120 miles away!
i have the numbers in my 750 parts list so will give them a ring,as if they have some i will take a pair,they are unique to the rebel 750.Wasnt having a dig at originality,just interested in finding out changes etc in the vans production,as so little is documented on them.what chassis number is yours if you dont mind me asking?be interesting to see how close it is to mine and maybe work out how many were made.

Yes the front plate has bolt on feet,these are the same as regal mounts and i believe James at CHG will have these on the shelf,poss even new,however,im pretty certain that even then the mounting plate wont be wide enough,but its worth trying.

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:16 pm

This last post brings the Rebel Van photos up to date with the van running and moving under it own power.

Rad filled with water, a borrowed battery off a Scimitar

Checking the Electrics, Terminals were cleaned and some modified wiring removed and everything came back to life, The fan motor switch is dodgy, and a new wiper switch would be nice but virtually everything else electric works.

The front brake pads never arrived in time to fit them bleed and check the system but we decided to try and get the engine running anyway. Photo Here shows Dave priming the carb

We were missing the starter so it took half an hour of pushing up and down to get the engine running, after a few false starts it fired up... Just as well as really as rebel with hard crossplys on the front and slightly flat radials on the back is quite hard work to push!

The Video: http://youtu.be/r5hV_EeOA4g

The Carb is wrong as its a Zenith and it should have an SU, As a result it doesn't want to idle on it's current settings. A decent play with the idle screw will probably make workable in the short term. It sounds fooked but its probably just the timing chain tensioner, It needs a new water pump as too as the current one pisses water everywhere.

The MOT Jobs list is something like this:

Replace windscreen - (current one has severe scratches, new one came with the car)
Fit new seatbelts - old ones are a bit frayed
Starter Motor - Because push starting is too much like hard work
Water Pump - May borrow this off the rebuilt 850 sat on the bench in the garage to save £££"S
Timing Chain tensioned,
Proper Engine mounts making,
Replace rubber filler pipe - Old one had dissolved.
New Tyres, - The van will probably inherit the Rostyles off the Red Rebel as Dave doesn't like them the red rebel will then get something different.
Replace Rear door, - Requires a repair to one of the hinges
Source new numberplate and test numberplate light.
Fasten remaining chassis bolts down - needs more 1/4 inch unf bolts
Probably paint the rest of the chassis as some against protection against the winter roads.
Last edited by Joe. on Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel Rodd

Post by Daniel Rodd » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:30 pm

i have a new Rebel fan switch and a wiper switch if you get stuck,also have a starter but the postage would be stupid.the zenith is right for the car,but not the 850 engine,and tbh the zenith 301z is bloody awful.
have you got the filler neck? i have a spare neck and may have a rubber,depends how long the pipe is on the tank.
if you have anything bigger than 145 section tyres the spare wont fit under the floor panel.i have 155/80/12 on mine. If you no longer want the wheels i can give them a good home :-)
regarding the hinges,the actual hinge in the door you will probably find that the captive studs that have nuts on the inside of the door will have turned to rusty nails,mine have,so ive drilled straight through the hinge and used stainless nuts and bolts,much more secure.

Gemini Bob
RIP

Post by Gemini Bob » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:44 pm

I really like that car, its a shame I would never fit in one as they would be brilliant for a cheap runabout. I am sure I used to get something like 70mpg out of my old Regal and with classic tax and insurance it would be very handy with times getting as hard as they are. Good luck with the restoration and keep the pictures coming.

Regards
Bob
HUE 1979 SE6a GTE Auto
If the cap fits wear it.
If at first you don't succeed, pay someone who knows what they are doing.
Scimitars Biggest Fan
Resto viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3377 Just for Geoff ;-)

Daniel Rodd

Post by Daniel Rodd » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:54 pm

how big are you lol?they are a lot bigger inside and out than the Regal :-) finding one would be the hardest part,certainly roadworthy ones are slim on the ground and are usually kept for a long time,so projects like this are the only viable option

Return to “Other 4 Wheeled Reliants”