A Red Rebel Restoration....!

For other Reliants.
Also known as Kitten Corner, Rebels Retreat..make up your own name!
We all know Reliant ownership is contagious

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

scimmy_man
RSSOC Member

Re: A Red Rebel Restoration....!

Post by scimmy_man » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:45 am

ample room then

I've taken a vow of poverty ...... Annoy me by sending me money!!

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:50 pm

Having clocked up a few miles with the new disc's I thought I'd stick up a couple of pictures. I'll try and take some showing the wider front track when I get a chance - think its increased by 3" overall. Unfortunately as the tyre sidewalls are now in line with the lip of the wheel arches this now means that if you compare one side to the other you can tell that the body is not quite symmetrical!

The polybushes have definitely stiffened up the front end a bit, I've ordered some adjustable rose jointed drop-links for the anti-roll bar which should allow me to get it set up even better.

Offside, I did contemplate having the dust shields polished stainless steel but decided black looked more in keeping:

This is one of the Smaller gators I've fitted, it just clears the disc at all angles of articulation (look worse in the photo than it actually is)

Nearside:

The springs supplied with the new shocks appear to be a bit short so I have a feeling i'll have to order some replacements, Also need to phone up HEL and order some braided stainless brake lines an inch longer than the ones currently fitted (this is at full lock and although not stretched the hose is not quite as relaxed as I'd like):

Crap Photo: Girling Type 14 callipers are a pretty tight fit in the 12" rims!, Had to grind a little bit off the side of the calliper as it was just rubbing on the rivets inside the rim. Type 12 callipers would have been a much easier fit but wouldn't have had as much stopping power:

Cheers for reading, It's always good to get comments and feedback - even if it is only people telling me what a mentalist I am!

Dave

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:56 pm

The track rod end really is close to the disc!

Would a move to 13" rims not help (and maybe a better offset), or does it upset the looks?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:04 pm

philhoward wrote:The track rod end really is close to the disc!
I don't exaggerate! :P

Yes 13" rims would have been the logical option. It would also have allowed for much greater choice of (cheaper) tyres, unfortuantly everyone told me that disc brakes in a 12" rim was practically impossible unless you used bike callipers so I had to prove them wrong :roll:
The 12" rims I've got fitted have been especially made and I've shelled out a fair bit on tyres so I'm committed now.

I'm actually pretty happy with the clearances now - unless you majorly buckled a rim it's never going to catch on the calliper. The track-rod end is a bit closer than I'd like but its a case of seeing if the heat from the disc shortens its life much - I can always fit smaller track-rod ends which would solve the problem but that seems a waste of my current set of british made ones!

Dave

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:18 pm

" if you compare one side to the other you can tell that the body is not quite symmetrical! "

Joe, it's not easy looking at both sides of the car at the same time, don't worry about it!

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014>
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day

Return to “Other 4 Wheeled Reliants”