Main headlight switches

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

james couper
RSSOC Member

Main headlight switches

Post by james couper » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:12 pm

Clocks changed, went for a afternoon run, side lights / main headlights on for good part of the afternoon run, tried to switch main lights off, switch had over heated and melted one of the little fingers
that operate within the switch. Has anyone rebuilt the little fingers with the spring attached. Car is a SE6A i have a spare switch but would like to rebuild the fingers with a harder plastic.
Should i look at adding another relay. nearer the lights or switch.

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Main headlight switches

Post by gtcse8 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:29 pm

Get a relay fitted, or one for each headlamp.
Easy to fit behind the headlight bowl.

I keep NEW fingers, but standard Injection moulded.

AND New levers, springs AND MORE IMPORTANTLY OUTER COVERS if your clips are broken.
Last edited by gtcse8 on Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Wilson. See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s,1 & 1/2 GTC`s, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Main headlight switches

Post by peter freeman » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:57 pm

The main beam is already on a relay so you only need to fit a relay for the dip beam

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Main headlight switches

Post by scimjim » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:36 pm

Only the outers are relayed IIRC?

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

Main headlight switches

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:35 pm

Outers ----- main via relay; dip just via a fuse and switch.
Inners------- on for main only and via fuse and switch
Flash----separate direct supply from different fuse to switch then right and left main inners and supply to relay which operates and supplies outer left and right main outers (from same fuse as above. (On GTC right dip outer/left dip outer each have own fuse; right and left main outer share a fuse and right and left main inners share a fuse) See Peters excellent colour diagrams.)

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)
1980 GTC Trafalgar Blue, 2010 basic Skoda Yeti (petrol), Austin 7s, Rileys.

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Main headlight switches

Post by ScimmyMike » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:33 pm

I swapped fog light switch for light switch when mine failed for the same reason on the Scottish International, don't actually recall ever switching them back after neither and all okay though relays are a good idea really

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door, Alfa Romeo GTV twinny
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If things are going well with the rebuild you've missed a part out

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

Main headlight switches

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:03 pm

How exactly is the proper non damaging way to remove the switch from the central switch/instrument console???

It seems possible to just leaver the switch off (but that loses the illumination bulb holder).

Removing the top two screws allowing the console to pull forward at the top giving access to the rear (and allowing lamp holders to be put back on) is the sensible method to start with......but what exactly do you prod to get the switch to come out the front of the console. My light switch is now just held in by means of thin card jammed in either side of the switch, otherwise there seems to be nothing holding it and it just comes slightly out and floppy....most unsatisfactory.

Photos with replies please.

Dennis

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)
1980 GTC Trafalgar Blue, 2010 basic Skoda Yeti (petrol), Austin 7s, Rileys.

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Main headlight switches

Post by gtcse8 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:23 pm

Sounds like the locating tabs, top and bottom, have broken Dennis.

If you have a radio fitted this will have to come out first, then you MAY be able to get to the rear of the switch if you have thin hands, otherwise the dash needs pulling down to allow access to the back.

Mark Wilson. See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s,1 & 1/2 GTC`s, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

TrevorG
RSSOC Member

Main headlight switches

Post by TrevorG » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:39 pm

If the locating tabs are broken or the hole in the console is worn, you can use a silicone sealant daubed on the back to keep the switch in place. However, dependant on how far the console bends forward, you may have to remove it completely to do this bodge. I've done this on a couple of my switches that were worn, the advantage being that the switch is still removable by tearing the silicone off when needed. As Mark says, remove the radio first and also check the flexible oil pipe whilst bending the console forward. It does come further if you remove the heater controls and the two lower knobs!

james couper
RSSOC Member

Main headlight switches

Post by james couper » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:57 pm

Access is much easier if you remove the centre gearbox console, the switch console can be moved forward for access to the back of the switches which have two locking tabs which hold the switches in place and to the switch wiring sockets. I find it easier if you push the switch out at the top from the back then push out at the bottom, switch comes out at a angle don't try to pull straight out as the tabs will stick.

Return to “Se6/6a/6b/GTC”