Engine - autobox problem

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

philipmasonfrance
RSSOC Member

Engine - autobox problem

Post by philipmasonfrance » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:19 am

We have a French owner with a gearbox/engine problem. Sorry, if some of this explanation is a bit awry, but I personally have no experience of auto boxes. He has bought an Essex engine and is having a problem mating it to his Ford C3 auto box. When he removed the dead Essex he took it out with the torque converter. On re-installing he finds that the engine is solid. So he took the engine out again and from the forum saw that he should split the torque converter from the engine and put that onto the gearbox first. No problem, all turning well. Then, through the starter motor cut-out, he tightened the flywheel – 3 screws – checking all the time that the assembly turned freely. No problem. But once he re-attached the engine to the bell housing with the 6 bolts, the engine is solid again.
Input/output shaft too long? I seem to remember seeing something about this some time ago.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Engine - autobox problem

Post by philhoward » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:04 am

Pure guess but is it an Essex torque converter? I think I read somewhere one for a Cologne (2.8 ) is different?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Engine - autobox problem

Post by Coupe Racing » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:10 am

If the torque converter is not correctly seated in the gearbox then this will happen.
Also experience tells me that if the 3 bolts are tightened then the oil pump is often damaged.

The best way to fit the torque converter is to stand the gearbox on its end , lower the torque converter into position and spin it .
It will naturally seat itself into the pump.

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Engine - autobox problem

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:55 pm

When I took the engine out of a previous C3-equipped Ford, my reading around the subject uncovered a lot of warnings about the need for care in aligning the torque converter if it was detached from the gearbox (as Steve mentions above). So I didn't, I detached it from the "flywheel" (actually a flexplate) removed the engine, did the rebuild, replaced it, and bolted the flexplate back to the converter. That worked fine.

Other than trying it again, I'm not sure what other checks you can do after the event?

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

philipmasonfrance
RSSOC Member

Engine - autobox problem

Post by philipmasonfrance » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:06 pm

Thanks for these initial comments. I'm sure Xavier will be delighted that it's probably going to be necessary to drop the box too! Any further suggestions very welcome!

IanC
RSSOC Member

Engine - autobox problem

Post by IanC » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:34 pm

I had this problem with a C3 torque converter, it turned out that the problem was a warped flex plate.

Current : SE5a 4spd auto
Past: SE5, SE5a x 3, GTC x 3, SE6, SE6a

derekoss

Engine - autobox problem

Post by derekoss » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:40 pm

Hi, you'd be better to take the seal (and renew it anyway) from the front of the gearbox. Then have a good look with a torch for any damage. Fit the torque convertor without the seal rotating all the time to make sure it goes follow home. i.e. the drive dogs on the torque convertor engage properly. Using a straight edge across the mating face of the gearbox measure where the torque convertor is depth wise. Measure the engine side to make sure there's space.
Fit a new seal checking by measureing the torque convertor goes back into the gearbox as far as it did earlier.
Should be sorted if you haven't damaged anything in the box.

Derek

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Engine - autobox problem

Post by scimjim » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:09 pm

Hanging the torque converter off the engine can warp or crack the flex plate, so it should always be uncoupled while the engine and gearbox are still attached to each other.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Return to “Se6/6a/6b/GTC”