Front brake operation

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Front brake operation

Post by Roger Pennington » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:01 pm

halfpenny wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:46 pm
The system should bleed perfectly well with the servo non-operational, but take care that air is not trapped in the upper end of the servo cylinder. Try bleeding here by slackening the tube nut. I assume the servo is correctly orientated. You may have a very stiff (new?) master cylinder seal which is slipping on the cylinder bore, rather than sealing to generate pressure. You describe getting pressure when stamping on the pedal, which would fit this scenario.
Halfpenny, I suspect your answer was written for a 5/5a as there's no servo cylinder on the Se6a and orientation wouldn't normally be an issue? (note that this thread is in the Se6/6a/6b/GTC section, and I've checked some of Keith's other posts and I think the car is a 77 Se6a?).

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

rebel alliance

Front brake operation

Post by rebel alliance » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:26 pm

Been here with a 5a a few months ago after a master cylinder change took days to find my problem and yes i know this is a 6a..so what exactly are your brake pipes made of ?

halfpenny

Front brake operation

Post by halfpenny » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:26 pm

Quite so Roger, and a direct m/cyl servo should be even less trouble to bleed

chips01

Front brake operation

Post by chips01 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:55 am

gtcse8 wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:10 pm
chips01 wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:05 pm
(awaiting manifold gaskets)
Which ones Keith?.
The large inlet to heads gasket or the Oblong Carb to Manifold ?.

I have large stock of gaskets and kits if I can be of help.
Mark
Large carb to inlet manifold. My carb base was slightly distorted. Have manifolds on the way thanks.

chips01

Front brake operation

Post by chips01 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:00 am

rebel alliance wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:26 pm
Been here with a 5a a few months ago after a master cylinder change took days to find my problem and yes i know this is a 6a..so what exactly are your brake pipes made of ?
Copper or copper alloy

rebel alliance

Front brake operation

Post by rebel alliance » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:15 am

Not sure what mine were but it was very hard material so i found that the flared end going into the new master cylinder although tight was not sealing and allowing air in as we bled the system.Had to change the pipe for a new piece

chips01

Front brake operation

Post by chips01 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:07 am

UPDATE. What a fantastic Club this is. I have had two Club members volunteer to help with this problem of mine. One a qualified mechanic working on Scimitars for the last 20 years and the other well versed and knowledgeable in the problems and operation of Scimitars for many years. They agreed to visit and test and inspect my braking system and all its operations. Results. All lines have been bled correctly with no air present. All lines were correctly installed. There were no visible faults or problems yet the pedal would continue to travel to the floor with no pressure in the line. Only possible conclusion is that the brand new master cylinder is faulty. I refused to strip this down as the supplier would then be in a position to say that it was faulty due to my intervention. The supplier has agreed to replace the master cylinder. Many thanks to you all for your thoughts and comments on this matter.

halfpenny

Front brake operation

Post by halfpenny » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:07 pm

You did right. It's very unlikely that you would see anything wrong on examination of a new cylinder. Possibly you could have proved the point by blocking the cylinder outlet ports, and then trying to generate pressure in the barrel.

Return to “Se6/6a/6b/GTC”