Coolant pooling on top of inlet manifold

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

Stornoway Grey

Post by Stornoway Grey » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:53 pm

My 1978 SE6a is currently in the garage for head gasket replacement and when the air filter housing was removed it revealed pools of coolant all along the offside of the inlet manifold - all the way from front to back of the engine. The mechanic is investigating the cause (having only just found it today so not yet removed the inlet manifold) and while musing about possible things to investigate asked me if the cooling jacket extends through the inlet manifold or not... does anyone know the answer to this please?
He also wondered if the thermostat housing has a leak or become permeable. Has anyone come across this symptom before (coolant on top of the inlet manifold) and if so did you establish the the cause? We had already checked for obvious (visible) leaks from hoses etc due to longer term coolant loss so any other ideas would be greatly received!
With regards, Adam

rebel alliance

Post by rebel alliance » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:59 pm

Inlet water cooled..auto choke or water pipes leaking ? Do they say Kevlar on them 😁

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:01 pm

Assuming Essex powered, the inlet manifold is complex, with water flowing through it, and keeping oil in the top of the block. It will need replacing with care and good quality gaskets after careful cleaning.

Worth checking the thermostat housing but this is pretty simple and a leak should be fairly obvious.

Nick

MR2 and Beemer 3 series, currently no Scim!
Six times SSSC Class Winner
Not over the hill, just going up it faster !

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:16 pm

Whether the manifold is water-cooled or water-heated is a bit of a moot point - many inlet manifolds have water running through them (my cvh in the SS1 does for example) and it provides a "hot spot" to evaporate the fuel better. There are a few places the water can come from - the hoses going to the autochoke is a possibility, the thermostat housing is less likely if it's on the offside, the other possibility is if the inlet gasket is leaking and the water finds it's way to the bolts that hold the manifold on, it can bubble up round the bolts. The bolts aren't very tight (around 16 or18 ft/lbs IIRC?) so that can happen.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Stornoway Grey

Post by Stornoway Grey » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:37 pm

Thank you all, some points worth investigating.
I did wonder about the bolts myself...

Return to “Se6/6a/6b/GTC”