Steering column switches

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington

pmallinson

Steering column switches

Post by pmallinson » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:06 pm

Hi guys
Just a bit of advice needed, is there something that goes between the steering column outer and the multi switch?
If I slip my switch on till it clamps over the outer column, then the switch levers are too far forward to allow me to operate indicators and wipers etc as the switch arms baulk on the column housing as the cut slits are too far back and also the rear of the steering wheel cannot reach to turn the white plastic ring that cancels the indicators once you straighten up

mada85

Steering column switches

Post by mada85 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:50 pm

I have recently had this issue after buying a new indicator/light switch stalk which has a slightly smaller collar on the back edge. Has it been changed at all to your knowledge? Might be worth measuring the back of it and comparing it to the steering column where it should sit with a vernia if you have one available.

Adam

pmallinson

Steering column switches

Post by pmallinson » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:14 pm

It was fitted previously to the car and from memory it was fine, it's just as though there should be a spacer behind it to extend the front edge of the steering column outer? I cannot remember there being one though and cannot find one in the box of bits I removed or see one in the workshop manual?

pmallinson

Steering column switches

Post by pmallinson » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:16 pm

Is it possible that the steering column is too far forward? I did have to remove the cross car frame behind the dash to replace the heater matrix and the column is fastened to that?

mada85

Steering column switches

Post by mada85 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:22 pm

Sounds like it should fit again if it came off hopefully. To my memory there is a white ish spacer to cancel the indicators but that is built in and you have to remove the stalk off the metal mounting plate to remove it.

pmallinson

Steering column switches

Post by pmallinson » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:33 pm

Yes that white spear is there its just a distance problem from inner column front to outer column front and the lining up of those two with the column covered and the multi switch ?🤔😫😤

mada85

Steering column switches

Post by mada85 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:38 pm

That is a pain then, hopefully someone else might be able to shed light on it.

Has any work been done steering wise like at the other end of the column?

pmallinson

Steering column switches

Post by pmallinson » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:46 pm

Not to the best of my knowledge, and certainly not since it was stripped?

pmallinson

Steering column switches

Post by pmallinson » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:31 am

I’m now convinced that the steering column it too far forwards ! Has anyone else experience this and know how to get it backwards into the car more?

Return to “Se6/6a/6b/GTC”