1980 SE6A 3.0 Automatic

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Ian Wilson

1980 SE6A 3.0 Automatic

Post by Ian Wilson » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:00 pm

Good afternoon folks,

I have been searching for some time now for the above vehicle, and as luck would have it I may have found the suitable car for me.

There are (as you would expect) some items that need addressing with the potential car, or rather, items that I would like to address so may I have answers to the following please:

1). The door weatherstrips have degraded, are these a common replaceable item? If so who supplies them? I cannot seem to find them on Ebay or on any Google search.

2). There is only 1 (one) door mirror and its on the drivers door. I have seen that it was uncommon for a passenger mirror to be fitted, and that I have seen that they come from a Ford Capri/Granada or can be upgraded to electric items from an XJS.

With regards to the XJS mirrors, would I be correct in assuming that ANY chrome mirrors are ok? AND

If the electric part is to be utilised what switch and from what car would be used AND where would be the best place to locate the switch?

I daresay that I will be posting MANY more question on here but these will do for now. Many thanks in advance.

Ian

Never trust a man - who - when left in a room alone with a tea cosy will not try it on!

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

1980 SE6A 3.0 Automatic

Post by AJL Electronics » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:07 pm

Only XJS mirrors are the right profile to suit. Switch can come from a Ford Granada Mk3 onwards, plus other Fords of a similar age or a Citroen of around 2000. The switch is fitted below the radio in an SE6A.

Weatherstrips in stock here:

http://ajlelectronics.co.uk/epages/8323 ... ID=6352254

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

1980 SE6A 3.0 Automatic

Post by AJL Electronics » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:14 pm

IMG_2311 (1).JPG
IMG_2311 (1).JPG (191.38 KiB) Viewed 817 times

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

Ian Wilson

1980 SE6A 3.0 Automatic

Post by Ian Wilson » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:55 am

Thanks for the information on the above.

Somewhat inspired that there are really helpful people in this world :D :D :D

Never trust a man - who - when left in a room alone with a tea cosy will not try it on!

GTC Ian
RSSOC Member

1980 SE6A 3.0 Automatic

Post by GTC Ian » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:02 am

Hi Ian. Im not very far from you. Glad another Scimitar will be in the area. Hope you can make it to some of the local shows.
If you need any help/advice just give me a shout. Just embarking on an interior retrim, engine overhaul and general tidy up so will be spending plenty of time out in the garage .

White GTC no 91 (Now getting the TLC it justly deserves)
Personal mechanic to Barbara's SS1
Previous SE5a JKG 236N (R.I.P)
Members since 1984

Ian Wilson

1980 SE6A 3.0 Automatic

Post by Ian Wilson » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:39 pm

Many thanks Ian,

I shall make a note to pop over and let you make me a cuppa if that ok with you.

Thanks again

Ian

GTC Ian
RSSOC Member

1980 SE6A 3.0 Automatic

Post by GTC Ian » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:29 am

Yep thats fine. Just be prepared to get your hands dirty (lol)

White GTC no 91 (Now getting the TLC it justly deserves)
Personal mechanic to Barbara's SS1
Previous SE5a JKG 236N (R.I.P)
Members since 1984

Geraint SabreGTCse5
RSSOC Member

1980 SE6A 3.0 Automatic

Post by Geraint SabreGTCse5 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:15 am

XJS mirrors have been fitted to many 6's I have done it myself several times and being honest i was not totally happy with the view they give or the look of them fitted. They were described by my daughter years ago as looking like drooped puppies ears!! I tried different rubber mounts but never achieved a decent rear view or a good door to mirror fit. I saw a 6b recently where the owner added a slight recess in the door and they looked good and gave a much better rear view than i ever achieved.
They are becoming scarce with good chrome, take care you buy the correct XJS ones, XJ6 ones have a different mount angle but often confused by sellers, they droop more. You can guess how i know that :roll: .
I have some XJS mirrors somewhere if you still want to go down that route.

Geraint

Sabre ti, se5, GTC, 6b.......

Better to be late in this life than early in the next!

Oxymoron
RSSOC Member

1980 SE6A 3.0 Automatic

Post by Oxymoron » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:42 am

Door seals are available from the traders such as Graham Walkers.

I have replaced the door aperture rubbers, window channel easyglide material and also the weather strips at the base of the window glass.

I bought the weather strips from Woolie's web site if I recall!

Cheers

1979 SE6a Automatic power steering!

Return to “Se6/6a/6b/GTC”