Rear seat removal

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Wrighty57
RSSOC Member

Rear seat removal

Post by Wrighty57 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:39 am

Hi all
I have managed to replace rusted window frames with ease, repaired door hinge plates even got an engine working that hasn't fired up for twenty years but can i get the rear seat out of my SE6a, not a cat in hells chance, carnt even find the fabled plates next to seatbelt anchor points, Help!!!!! please.

Lee
RSSOC Member

Rear seat removal

Post by Lee » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:53 am

Hi,
do you have removable covers over the seat belt reels, or are they part of the seat base?
Lee

"Obviously your ambition outweighed your talent"

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Rear seat removal

Post by gtcse8 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:06 am

Unless a PO has screwed the seat base down it is only held in place by two methods, and they are both located at the outer ends of the seat base.

One method is Two simple plates screwed to the base and the floor tub, and these were covered by the seatbelt reel covers also screwed down.

Second method was the seat belt covers screwed to the base then the body tub.

So you must look at the seat belt reel covers and determine which type you have.

The whole seat base is a tight fit into the body tub moulding and pops out by pulling it towards the front of the car and lifting it at the same time.

See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s, GTC, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

Wrighty57
RSSOC Member

Rear seat removal

Post by Wrighty57 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:32 am

Thanks for your responses.
The seat belt covers would appear to be part of the seat base, the seat base feels flexible at the ends but seems firmly attached at the centre console point.

Lee
RSSOC Member

Rear seat removal

Post by Lee » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:41 am

GTCSe8 is bang on with his information. If it's still holding on around the center, the PO might have put his own fixing there, so might be worth checking that. If not, its a good tug away from release.

"Obviously your ambition outweighed your talent"

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Rear seat removal

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:19 pm

If you've found and unscrewed the screws at the seatbelt reels (or if the screws were missing) then it may well be the case that, as mentioned it is a tight fit, and especially if the car has been damp inside, the seat base may have become "glued" to the floor. It may require a fairly strong (but careful) pull to shift it.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Wrighty57
RSSOC Member

Rear seat removal

Post by Wrighty57 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:42 pm

Thanks all with your input.
I will have another careful attempt at the weekend. Watch this space!!!
Could someone who is clued up on the electrics of these cars give me some advice. I only have parts that work for instance front wipers and indicators but nothing else. i have done all the usual stuff cleaned earths etc but to no avail. I tested each fused circuit and found that only 2 had a live circuits but all wiring bar one seems to be all there any ideas on how to proceed would be most welcome.
Many thanks

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Rear seat removal

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:51 pm

Have you got one of Peter Freeman's colour wiring diagrams? If not, they are available for download here - link to Se6/6a one - they make it much easier to trace faults.

....Roger

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Wrighty57
RSSOC Member

Rear seat removal

Post by Wrighty57 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:55 pm

Hi Roger,
Yes i found it on the forum and printed one last week i guess i need to just take my time and trace it thro, i did find one wire that has clearly been eaten by a mouse or rat cos i found a huge nest behind the fuse panel board, not very pleasant!!!

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Rear seat removal

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:24 pm

Oh dear! that's not good :( One thought that does strike me, from memory I think if the wipers are working, that means that the "ignition" relay is ok, so that increases the chance that it's individual problems with the non-working circuits - earth problems are always a hazard with fibreglass cars.

....Roger

spegru

Rear seat removal

Post by spegru » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:04 pm

Wrighty it sounds like you are having the same problems as me. I also could not remove the seat base and also had rat leftovers!
I also thought there must be a centre fixing but In my case it was just a question of pulling hard once those seat belt area screws had been removed. It was tight fit!

Wrighty57
RSSOC Member

Rear seat removal

Post by Wrighty57 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:48 pm

Thanks chaps.
Can`t see any fixings at the seat belt ends, i do believe my bucktoothed longtail friends have nested in behind seat belt cover cos they have chewed a hole in the cover to get in there!!

Wrighty57
RSSOC Member

Rear seat removal

Post by Wrighty57 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:55 pm

Roger,
i am wondering whether my uninvited guests have chewed through electric wiring where i cant see, that would be a disaster and will lead to much more work :cry:

Return to “Se6/6a/6b/GTC”