So much water.....

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Andy240

So much water.....

Post by Andy240 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:27 pm

Went to the car (SE6a) a couple of days ago and an inch and a half of water both of the front floor wells...Dam Webasto roof...
Dried it all out and now it has serious electrical issues, indicators didn't work (traced to relay full of water), wipers not working (wiper switch soaking)..
Now as soon as I turn the key to start it, all the power disappears, I'm guessing it is still wet.....
Any ideas where to look ...

Rev Light
RSSOC Member

So much water.....

Post by Rev Light » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:18 pm

Might not be your roof, it might be the seals around your windows and windscreen.

Good luck.

Steve H

SE5a 'Fancier'

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

So much water.....

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:00 am

I'd agree with Steve, there are a lot of other places it could be leaking from as well. On top of the seals that Steve has mentioned, there's also things like the radio aerial and the roof gutters (which are pop-riveted on), and the door seals.

I hope this doesn't sound flippant, but if it were mine I'd drill a couple of small holes in the floor to let the water out - you don't really want inches of water hanging around inside, it'll rot the carpets, and continue to upset the electrics. When the leaks are fixed, you can always seal them up again :)

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

So much water.....

Post by peter freeman » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:31 am

Key problems may not be water related - check your battery terminals are clean and tight.

Andy240

So much water.....

Post by Andy240 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:23 pm

Hi there, Defiantly the roof, as was dripping in from the roof, new seals on the doors, aerial all dry, wiper boxes all sealed and dry.
Got a cover on it now and it shall go back in the garage once its all sorted....
Drilled holes in the floor wells as soon as it happened, my old Rover P6 had the same roof and that leaked as well...Mind you the floor let the water straight out again, as it wasn't exactly water tight.......
Terminals on the battery all tight, recharged the battery as well....

Andy240

So much water.....

Post by Andy240 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:29 pm

Just an update, traced to a faulty/wet ignition relay....Back in the garage in this wet weather now...

Return to “Se6/6a/6b/GTC”