Fuel smell

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

Re: Fuel smell

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:20 pm

haustrup wrote:I noticed the mentioning of fuel hose clips with three ears - How do they look like - I've only found ones with two ears?
What are you members using as inserts within the plastic fuel lines to avoid cracking or deforming when clamping?
http://www.sss-india.com/images/p12_hose_clamps.jpg. this shows a picture with 2 and 3 ear clips/spring bands......all much the same idea.

I have never needed to use inserts. when fitting R9 hose last I noticed the nylon fuel line was deformed because of ordinary worm drive clips having been used, so replaced with 3 ear spring type and no problems since.

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)
1980 GTC Trafalgar Blue, 2010 basic Skoda Yeti (petrol), Austin 7s, Rileys.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:33 pm

I agree with Dennis - you don't get deformation of the Nylon line if the correct clips (either the spring ones, or the 2-ear screw versions).

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

haustrup
RSSOC Member

Post by haustrup » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:08 pm

Thanks Dennis. It was the ones I was thinking of, and now I can see what you mean as they can have both 2 and 3 ears.
Can I ask you another thing as I've written on another topic too, but you might know. Do you know the sizes and length of rubber fuel hoses needed for an SE6A? I ask because I will have to order it from the UK as who ever I ask over here are looking quite strange when mentioning the petrol problem, all claim that all later hoses will do, maybe because the use of ethanol (or was it methanol) is rather limited over here.

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:20 pm

haustrup
The people I got my hose from was a local good motor factors. I have just phoned them and they have some in stock and will post it to you at cost of postage.
Their Part Number is PEA PPH08 ........what they have in stock currently is 7.6mm (which they say will go onto the 8mm fuel line). It has printed on it:
W = SAE J30R9
They sell it by the 5 meter coil at £22.42 (which I suspect is +VAT @ 20% so = £26.90. Thus divide by 5 = £5.39 per meter.
Pat Williams Ltd.
Williams Court off Lauder Lane
Roundswell Commercial Park (west)
Barnstaple,
Devonshire,
England.
EX31 3WL
Telephone 01271 327442 Fax 01272 327445 Website = http://www.patwilliams.co.uk email = enquiries@patwilliams.co.uk

Note: as others have said (including Jim King who has looked up the technical specification, as have I, that SAE J30R6 is suitable.) My last lot from Pat W under that part number was in fact J30R6.

As for length? It was about a meter for carb to return line, so say the same again for supply line to pump to carb....add on the lengths for the rear 2 lines to tank which I do not know the length. The supply/return nylon lines end on the chassis just down below the petrol pump location on my car (GTC).

Suggest contact them by email and ask what they have in..(including what is printed on the hose)..(it can possibly vary depending on their next supply) and get a quote.

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)
1980 GTC Trafalgar Blue, 2010 basic Skoda Yeti (petrol), Austin 7s, Rileys.

Return to “Se6/6a/6b/GTC”