Forum Upgrade - Thanks

Problems logging in or posting pictures?
Can't register?
Not received your activation email?

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Ian
RSSOC Member

Forum Upgrade - Thanks

Post by Ian » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:33 pm

Here's a link but I've not tried it myself

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ho ... ll-checker

Ian
ScimitarWeb WebMaster
RSSOC 453
1974 SE5a manual and 1985 SS1 1600
If you know what you are doing... you aren't learning anything!

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Forum Upgrade - Thanks

Post by scimjim » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:17 pm

I think all Apple products have a spellcheck function whatever forum/message/email you're on?

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

drcdb15
RSSOC Member

Forum Upgrade - Thanks

Post by drcdb15 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:30 pm

Ian wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:33 pm

Thanks for that, Ian.

In fact, since my last post I did some Googling and ferreting around the Firefox tabs, and found that indeed there is a spellchecker, and indeed it is turned on. I also found it is turned on by defaut, so every time Firefox updates itself it is re-enabled. And yet it not only doesn't work, it looks as though it has *never* worked for me. I am a member of about 4 different club forums, and also signed up to things like Petrolheads and RetroRides, and as far as I can recall it doesn't work in any of them.

So, here I am using Win 7 Pro on an HP laptop (also an HP desktop, but previously Fuji, Compaq etc), not exactly anything out of the ordinary hardware-wise, and it hasn't been apparent on any of them. As far as I can recall the only automatic checker I've had on web based stuff is in Yahoo based email. In Gmail it has to be switched on for each mail I type, ditto GMX. So I guess it's back to manual proof reding.... :lol:

Chris
MB61; formerly 1978 SE6A 3.5 V8; 1986 SE6B 2.9 EFi.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Forum Upgrade - Thanks

Post by philhoward » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:19 pm

Google Chrome browser has a spell checker built in (well, it does on my works Windows laptop). When not at work, then I use Apple products which seem to have it built in.

Then there's the old dilemma that it might be a correctly spelt word - just not the right one..

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Alan SS1

Forum Upgrade - Thanks

Post by Alan SS1 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:57 pm

philhoward wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:19 pm
Google Chrome browser has a spell checker built in (well, it does on my works Windows laptop). When not at work, then I use Apple products which seem to have it built in.

Then there's the old dilemma that it might be a correctly spelt word - just not the right one..
been there, done that, and it can prove embarrassing , especially if not wearing reading glasses :shock:

SS1 1600 (AJZ ----), Regal 330 (VAV ---), C30 (SK 57 ---)& 480 (EVU ---)

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Forum Upgrade - Thanks

Post by peter freeman » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:01 am

I have noticed one difference - not that it is important. With the new upgrade to log on it does not remember my log on details - until I click on "remember me" then my details ( password and name ) appear.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Forum Upgrade - Thanks

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:09 pm

drcdb15 wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:30 pm
Ian wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:33 pm

Thanks for that, Ian.

In fact, since my last post I did some Googling and ferreting around the Firefox tabs, and found that indeed there is a spellchecker, and indeed it is turned on. I also found it is turned on by defaut, so every time Firefox updates itself it is re-enabled. And yet it not only doesn't work, it looks as though it has *never* worked for me. I am a member of about 4 different club forums, and also signed up to things like Petrolheads and RetroRides, and as far as I can recall it doesn't work in any of them.

So, here I am using Win 7 Pro on an HP laptop (also an HP desktop, but previously Fuji, Compaq etc), not exactly anything out of the ordinary hardware-wise, and it hasn't been apparent on any of them. As far as I can recall the only automatic checker I've had on web based stuff is in Yahoo based email. In Gmail it has to be switched on for each mail I type, ditto GMX. So I guess it's back to manual proof reding.... :lol:
First of all, thanks to Ian for his hard work. :D (still wading through my posts backlog following my long weekend away at Silverstone)

Chris, re your point above, I've been using Firefox for many years, and it's spelling checker works extremely well. I thought (years ago) it was an add-on that I'd had to install, however I've just checked and there isn't one listed, so it must have been subsumed into the program. I've just checked in the "Option" and "General" tab, and there it is - there's a check-box "Check your spelling as you type" which is selected (as mentioned in Ian's link above). No idea why it doesn't work with your set-up I'm afraid :(

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Forum Upgrade - Thanks

Post by peter freeman » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:31 am

Since the last "downtime" i seem to have lost my email notifications again - checked my details and all appear ok. Still get the red notification at the top of the latest mails page though so all is not lost.

Ian
RSSOC Member

Forum Upgrade - Thanks

Post by Ian » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:46 pm

I received email notification of your post ok, Peter. The system seems to be sending them out normally.

Ian
ScimitarWeb WebMaster
RSSOC 453
1974 SE5a manual and 1985 SS1 1600
If you know what you are doing... you aren't learning anything!

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Forum Upgrade - Thanks

Post by ScimmyMike » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:53 am

Roger Pennington wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:09 pm
Chris, re your point above, I've been using Firefox for many years, and it's spelling checker works extremely well. I thought (years ago) it was an add-on that I'd had to install, however I've just checked and there isn't one listed, so it must have been subsumed into the program. I've just checked in the "Option" and "General" tab, and there it is - there's a check-box "Check your spelling as you type" which is selected (as mentioned in Ian's link above). No idea why it doesn't work with your set-up I'm afraid :(
Strangely Roger my Firefox doesn't and I've just checked against the above and it is set, oddly on home PC it's same and works, home is win 10 home and office win 10 pro both 64bit systems, quite odd

SE4c rebuilding. SE5a similar it seems!
SAAB C900 2 door
Scimitar SE4 SE4c SE5 SE6b Austin A35

High Peak Noggin Secretary & general dogsbody

www.high peak noggin

If you can see the tree before you hit it that's understeer
if you only feel the tree as you hit it that's oversteer

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Forum Upgrade - Thanks

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:42 pm

ScimmyMike wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:53 am
Roger Pennington wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:09 pm
Strangely Roger my Firefox doesn't and I've just checked against the above and it is set, oddly on home PC it's same and works, home is win 10 home and office win 10 pro both 64bit systems, quite odd
Hmmm, interesting. I still agree with what I wrote above, however I've done a bit more digging. Looking on the "Add-Ons" page, I noticed there is a "Dictionaries" menu item, and I see that I have a "British English" (surely that's tautological? :wink: ) add-on dictionary installed. So I wonder if I installed that separately, a long time ago? Which then makes me wonder, what would the Spelling Checker do if you didn't have any dictionaries installed?

It might be worth checking your dictionaries? :)

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Forum Upgrade - Thanks

Post by peter freeman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:46 pm

My notifications have started to work again in the last hour or so anybody touched anything ?

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Forum Upgrade - Thanks

Post by ScimmyMike » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:58 am

As set Roger, I tend to use English/United Kingdon [en-gb] tbh thought there was only English, what's the English Ireland then diddley dee begorra :roll:
FF.jpg
FF.jpg (66.49 KiB) Viewed 2300 times
changed to the English [en] variety still no checker, very odd yet all other applications works okay though obviously not related

SAAB C900 2 door

www.high peak noggin

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Forum Upgrade - Thanks

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:16 pm

Ah, that's not what I'm referring to. (though I do have my display language set to English/UK the same as you).

No, what I'm talking about is on the add-ons page, what I see is this, a page which allows you to find and add or remove add-ons:

Add-ons 01.jpg
Add-ons 01.jpg (72.97 KiB) Viewed 2292 times

There is a menu down the left hand side, and there's an item called "Dictionaries", if I select that then I get a list of my installed dictionaries like this:

Add-ons 02.jpg
Add-ons 02.jpg (38.54 KiB) Viewed 2292 times

I'm only guessing, but it does seem plausible that if you didn't have an installed dictionary, then the program wouldn't know if words are right or wrong?

[edit - as an afterthought, if you don't have any dictionaries, maybe the menu item might not appear?]

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

ScimmyMike
RSSOC Member

Forum Upgrade - Thanks

Post by ScimmyMike » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:29 pm

Well installed now so I'll see how that goes Roger, thanks

SAAB C900 2 door

www.high peak noggin