Photobucket - Recovery Plans

Problems logging in or posting pictures?
Can't register?
Not received your activation email?

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Ian
RSSOC Member

Post by Ian » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:06 pm

Great swathes of our forum content have been made useless by the actions of Photobucket.com. The future is being addressed by an upgrade of the forum software that makes it easier to upload and store images on our server rather than rely on third-party image hosting sites.

There is a good chance that we can save at least some of the historic posts that are affected. This relies on individual users being able to save their Photobucket images and uploading them to our servers.

I am developing procedures and interfaces to enable this and expect to be able to release these for your use shortly after the new forum version has settled down. I have previously published the first stage of this which enable you to create a list of all external links that you have put in your posts: External Links.

I urge you all to use this and to save locally all the listed Photobucket images under the same names as in Photobucket.

I will later release a webpage that will enable you upload these images to our server, correllating them with the existing Photobucket links. Another script will re-write all Photobucket links in your posts to use the newly uploaded images.

If you wish to discuss this please open a new discussion topic; this announcment will be locked.

Ian
ScimitarWeb WebMaster
RSSOC 453
1974 SE5a manual and 1985 SS1 1600
If you know what you are doing... you aren't learning anything!

Ian
RSSOC Member

Post by Ian » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:17 pm

An update and a bit of a change of direction. Thanks to scimjim pointing me towards retro-rides where the webmaster had some solutions for the Photobucket problem, I have been able to exploit a loophole in Photobuckets refusal to serve images as a third-party source. I'm sure that Photobucket will plug the hole in the near future but I took the opportunity to download the images referenced on our forum.

I now have a folder containing 39,811 images totalling 7.6Gb. Not all images referenced by our forum were available, probably due to users deleting some or closing their accounts, but this should help reinstate a large number of otherwise useless posts.

I now have to write a program to link these local images in posts in place of the Photobucket links. This will take some time and I'm having a rest from now over the weekend, including my GTE in a local car show.

I'd still recommend that you save your Photobucket images for yourselves as well; who knows what Photobucket will do next. Also, any other third-party image hosting site could do the same or worse.

Ian
ScimitarWeb WebMaster
RSSOC 453
1974 SE5a manual and 1985 SS1 1600
If you know what you are doing... you aren't learning anything!

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:22 pm

Brilliant work Ian :D

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Return to “Forum Issues & News”