Sausage Fingers

Problems logging in or posting pictures?
Can't register?
Not received your activation email?

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Sausage Fingers

Post by scimjim » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:28 pm

Just checked back to the testing we did in 2017 (where Trevor asked the same question about new tabs) and we discovered that the orange icon goes to last unread post and thought - why do we have the little red square still?

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

td99
RSSOC Member

Sausage Fingers

Post by td99 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:30 pm

Roger Pennington wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:17 pm
TD, I guess everyone has their own preferred way of working - I wouldn't want it to work like that; personally, I have "view unread" set up as a bookmark, so when I've selected & read an unread thread, I simply click the bookmark to refresh "view unread" with the latest status (all in the same tab).
I only need to keep the tab open if I decide I'm going to answer a post (but not instantly), so I keep it open as a reminder, then open my "view unread" bookmark in a new tab.
Yes Unread posts is great. But I seem to be in a "minority", for me, extra unnecessary mouse clicks, ie right click and select "open in new tab" with subsequent re-selection of unread posts are sign of imperfect interface design and personally really irritating! So much simpler to open in new tab and then when you close it you still have your unread posts available... simples!
Well chaps if improvements are not on, just have a laugh at my continuing irritation...

Trevor - 1800Ti daily driver
1800Ti DET project, RAV4

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Sausage Fingers

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:39 pm

td99 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:30 pm
Yes Unread posts is great. But I seem to be in a "minority", for me, extra unnecessary mouse clicks, ie right click and select "open in new tab"
What unnecessary mouse clicks? I may be missing something, but I really don't understand why you actually want to open every unread thread in a new tab?

It takes me one single mouse click to select a specific unread thread (in the same tab)
Then one single mouse click to refresh the "View Unread" bookmark in the same tab.
I don't think you can do it in fewer clicks than that?

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

td99
RSSOC Member

Sausage Fingers

Post by td99 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:58 pm

Yes Roger you are right and I may have to learn a new way of working with Scimweb...
My normal method of finishing with a post (or any web page) is to close it with the tab "X" button and I think that is the normal global mode. You shortcut works well.

Trevor - 1800Ti daily driver
1800Ti DET project, RAV4

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Sausage Fingers

Post by philhoward » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:47 pm

td99 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:58 pm
Yes Roger you are right and I may have to learn a new way of working with Scimweb...
My normal method of finishing with a post (or any web page) is to close it with the tab "X" button and I think that is the normal global mode. You shortcut works well.
I just use “Back” (as it’s one of the extra buttons on my mouse if at the PC) and Refresh the page or just use my standard bookmark (like Roger) of “Unread Posts”.

Opening in a new tab tends to lead to “tab mania” for me - I’ve usually got several open at once as it is!

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Return to “Forum Issues & News”