Plastic fantastics

For New Members to introduce themselves and their cars.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Plastic fantastics

Post by philhoward » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:32 pm

scimjim wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:30 pm
Rev Light wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:01 pm
You have to put a lot of fuel through a car to pay for lpg/engine change. Never mind the hassle.
Check my maths please:

8000 miles a year at 25mpg is around £1900 in fuel at todays £1.30 a litre.

8000 miles a year at 40mpg (roughly the LPG equivelant on an Essex? Or an omega V6) is around £1200 pa.

Wouldn’t take that long to be worth it?
Maths checks out in round numbers.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Plastic fantastics

Post by AJL Electronics » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:38 pm

I find that my GTC runs better and starts easier on LPG. For the benefit of the smug green meanies, it also has almost zero emissions.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

Rust hater

Plastic fantastics

Post by Rust hater » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:04 pm

OK I feel that I have raised LPG as a red herring and appreciate the responses. Perhaps I should concentrate on smiles per mile instead! Another question (sorry) auto or manual. If I found the right one but it was auto, is a swap to manual pretty much as straightforward as removing one engine & box and dropping in another (which I know is a faff in its own right) or is there much more to think about?

Rust hater

Plastic fantastics

Post by Rust hater » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:12 pm

scimjim wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:43 am
Welcome :D

The problem with the LPG tank is where to put it in a GTE. ......The GTC is easier as there’s an area under the rear deck (behind the rear seats) that you can hide a large tank .
Ah. Cats & pigeons now. Man maths says the GTE is the more practical classic ... but then I do plan to also keep my `1959 LWB S2 Landy. The looks of the GTC are growing on me too. This rear deck, is it in the boot too (ie no rear bulkhead) or is it a storage area behind the rear seats? The idea of hiding a large tank in a storage area and still having a boot is appealing. It sounds as though the seat backs act a s a bulkhead?

Is the GTC only the convertible (which I don't really want) or is this also the name for the hardtop coupe that I also rather fancy? If the latter does the same comment still apply about a tank hiding place behind the rear seats that won't take up boot space?
Last edited by Rust hater on Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Plastic fantastics

Post by scimjim » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:14 pm

There’s a removable bulkhead which leave s a gap between the boot and rear of the seats.

Andy (AJL) has a thread for his LPG GTC on here - car’s for sale too.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Plastic fantastics

Post by scimjim » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:17 pm

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Rust hater

Plastic fantastics

Post by Rust hater » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:32 pm

Now that is a VERY neat LPG tank installation https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323511419713 and I see that hardtops are available too .... not as pretty a car to my eye as either the coupe or the GTE but it is a thought. Seeing how very well that LPG tank goes behind the rear seats and assuming that its boot floor must be about the same length as the boot floor in a GTE makes me imagine that the same 55l LPG tank could be fitted behind the rear seats in the GTE which I would find very acceptable, is this a correct assumption?

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Plastic fantastics

Post by AJL Electronics » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:50 pm

There is a hard top available with the GTC.

Don't discount the automatics, it suits the SE6 onwards very well and makes a nice cruiser. The A4LD behind a Cologne is very nice to drive. Perhaps manual would be a good choice on the 5 series.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Plastic fantastics

Post by DARK STAR » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:13 pm

GTC boot is not big, I think the Coupé's is bigger (certainly deeper).
But the GTC is a genuine, comfortable four seater convertible which is very rare.
And the hardtop is watertight :wink:

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Rhubarb SE6a V8 1979-1997 Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014-2018
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day

Rust hater

Plastic fantastics

Post by Rust hater » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:22 pm

I am enjoying researching this from the comfort of my armchair. The GTE had been my favourite and is full circle back to being that way. I like its style although the older coupe's also have huge visual appeal. I cannot justify putting V6 quantities of fuel through a daily runner but have had an off beat thought. Having seen the very tidy LPG conversion done on Andy's yellow GTC (for sale) and as I do not have much of a regular need for a 4 seater .... with the rear seats removed into storage I imagine that a similar sized LPG tank could take their place. This ought to give quite nice weight distribution and leave a pretty big load area too.

In terms of which model of GTE to hunt down, they all seem to have pros & cons but all other things being equal I like the interior of the SE5 most as it seems relatively delicate & airy even though I appreciate the cabin is smaller in all directions. 5A not far behind it. SE5 seats seem timeless but the later seats with buttons seem, well dated! Sort of feel the same about the dashboards but this is all from the armchair so I look forward to closer inspection but am in no great hurry. Its a shock to learn that galvanised chassis are marvellous but suffer far worse metal corrosion of attached steel such as untreated seat belt mounts.

Looking to the future of values too .... Series 1 e-type Jag with an uncomfortably flat floor and very little space for rear passenger just can't be as nice a car as a Series 2 ..... but its values increase in comparison. Much the same but closer to my own knowledge base, who on earth would want a S1 Landy when they could get a 'luxurious' S2 or a positively indecent and utterly ostentatious S3 (two speed wipers, whatever next) ..... and yet the actual values are in direct opposition to this logic. This is having very little influence on my thought process but I too am starting to appreciate the relative pureness and simplicity of the SE5 compared to say the Middlebridge. What an irony that all that extra preparation for Middlebridge paintwork yet there is near catastrophic failure of the clearcoat if exposed to the elements too much, frustrating.

This is a very helpful forum, your comments are much appreciated.

Oh bummer, now I learn that the SE5 did not have PAS. Oh well!

Return to “Introductions”