I saw a Scimitar and fell in love!

For New Members to introduce themselves and their cars.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington

mountainlaurel

Post by mountainlaurel » Wed May 15, 2019 1:04 pm

Hi all. I recently went with my husband to the Brooklands Museum for their British Marques show. It was a great day, but one of the real highlights for me was this lovely yellow Scimitar GTE, the likes of which I'd never seen before. (I'm a US expat and have only been in the UK for five years.) Perhaps it even belongs to one of you!

ImageIMG_0114 by David Loader, on Flickr

I couldn't stop staring at it! I love cars from the 1970s (I had two great old Datsuns, a GMC van, and a Chevy El Camino back in the US, along with various 80s/90s stuff that was less interesting), and to me the styling of the Scimitar really epitomises the gestalt of 70s cars. I've been looking into them ever since and was surprised to find out how affordable they are, even for really nice examples. I've even gotten my husband hooked, though he'll never give up his dream of owning a Dolomite Sprint in Mimosa Yellow -- it's his dream car, a few steps up from the 1300 he drove as a teenager.

We're not in a position to buy a second car right now as we're living in a rented flat while we save up for a house, but we've agreed that once we have a place to park it, we'll start looking for a Scimitar for me to drive. (I also need to get my UK driving license sorted -- long story as to why that wasn't done years ago.) I found this forum and thought it would be a great place for me to learn more about the cars and what to look for when the time comes to go shopping.

It's nice to meet you all and I look forward to hearing about your exploits!

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Post by Old and Slow » Wed May 15, 2019 1:17 pm

Welcome to the Forum, hope you find that "dream" car.
Happy Scimitaring.

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

TrevorG

Post by TrevorG » Wed May 15, 2019 1:29 pm

Welcome as well....

I wrote on here some time ago that the reason that I purchased my scimitar 40 years ago was that it reminded me, styling wise - especially the nose, of the 70s US muscle cars that I was lucky enough to own in the middle east.

Don't leave the thought of looking for a scimitar too long, the prices are rising quickly as people realise what a great car they are and relatively easy to maintain.

Good luck, I hope you find the right one. This forum is invaluable for idiots like me as there are many willing to share their knowledge, so stay in touch.....you may even find your car here!

mountainlaurel

Post by mountainlaurel » Wed May 15, 2019 1:56 pm

Thanks! The trouble with buying sooner is we'd have nowhere to keep a second car -- we have only one space, and parking is at a real premium in Woking town centre. If something came along we couldn't say no to we could probably leave it with the in-laws in Wales, so it's not completely out of the question, but that would be almost worse than not having the car at all!

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed May 15, 2019 2:43 pm

Welcome to the forum, I hope things work out and you manage to find the car of your dreams :D

I wasn't at that event, I do get to Brooklands from time to time, most recently for the New Year's Day event, which I attended in the Yellow Peril. You can find a report on the event here, including photos of the dozen or so cars which were there (including the one you saw).

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Wed May 15, 2019 5:17 pm

welcome to the madhouse :lol:

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Wed May 15, 2019 5:48 pm

I always wanted a dolly sprint but glad I did not get one as the 1850HLs we had were more than prone to rust. Bought our first Scimitar in 83 and still got four various models.

Mikelima48
RSSOC Member

Post by Mikelima48 » Wed May 15, 2019 6:33 pm

Welcome, what great taste you have. The Scimitar is a great car, practical too, a high speed hold all! I saw that one at Brooklands too, a few weeks ago.

mountainlaurel

Post by mountainlaurel » Thu May 16, 2019 1:25 pm

Roger Pennington wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 2:43 pm
I wasn't at that event, I do get to Brooklands from time to time, most recently for the New Year's Day event, which I attended in the Yellow Peril.
What a brilliant name for a car. Do you also have one called the Red Menace?

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu May 16, 2019 3:13 pm

Funnily enough, I'm not normally a person who gives his cars names, but when I bought the car way back in 1996 it was much more eye-catching than any car I'd had before, and also came with a mildly-tuned engine and stiffer suspension, so "Yellow Peril" seemed to reflect it's personality, and it quickly stuck. :D I do actually have a red one, but it's a fairly subdued deep red (mulberry) so I just tend to refer to it by it's colour name, to differentiate it.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Thu May 16, 2019 3:27 pm

I call our SS1 Swan for obvious reasons.

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Thu May 16, 2019 7:30 pm

So, Peter, when it grows up it will be a Coupé :mrgreen:

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Rhubarb SE6a V8 1979-1997 Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014-2018
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day

AllingtonGT
RSSOC Member

Post by AllingtonGT » Thu May 16, 2019 7:50 pm

Welcome.
I have a friend who lives in Ottershaw and I'm sure he could find you somewhere to park your Scimitar.

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Thu May 16, 2019 9:26 pm

DARK STAR wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:30 pm
So, Peter, when it grows up it will be a Coupé :mrgreen:
Got one of those already - but not given it a name.

mountainlaurel

Post by mountainlaurel » Fri May 17, 2019 2:14 pm

AllingtonGT wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:50 pm
Welcome.
I have a friend who lives in Ottershaw and I'm sure he could find you somewhere to park your Scimitar.
Then I'd better get my driving license sorted! (My ability to drive on my US license expired while I was in the midst of a months-long bout of vertigo, during which I couldn't drive at all. By that time our second car wouldn't start and wasn't worth fixing, so we donated it. I haven't really *needed* to drive for several years, and for complicated reasons involving a ridiculously bad driving teacher and my husband's reluctance to leave the flat outside of working hours, I haven't gotten in enough practice to feel comfortable behind the wheel again. I'm getting pretty fed up, though, and as we're going on a road trip to the Highlands next week I should be able to get in at least some practice. I miss being able to just pick up and GO places.)

Return to “Introductions”