New member in Newcastle SE5A Project

For New Members to introduce themselves and their cars.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

james7759

Post by james7759 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:15 am

Coupe Racing wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:50 pm
A good way to free off rings is anything that dissolves the carbon IE Forte’ injector cleaner

I got them all out last night, applied some heat which helped them pop lose in the end.

james7759

Post by james7759 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:17 am

Here probably a question that seems obvious to everyone. I am used to a piston being connected to the rod via a pin with a circlip set up, the essex doesn't seem to have that, are they pressed in? All but 1 of the pistons moves freely on the pin and rod the 1 that doesn't can be moved but it is stiff. Anyone had this before? What is the solution?

peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Post by peter freeman » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:12 pm

A long time since I took a Essex apart - is the gudgeon pin not held in place by a sprung ring - not a circlip as such - no holes to get circlip pliers on to. You need a magnifying glass to have a closer look at the pin end.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:56 pm

Fortunately I haven't needed to dismantle my essex to that extent, but I thought the gudgeon pin was shrunk into the conrod with heat, and had to be pressed out?

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

David Tew
RSSOC Member

Post by David Tew » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:03 pm

Roger Pennington wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:56 pm
Fortunately I haven't needed to dismantle my essex to that extent, but I thought the gudgeon pin was shrunk into the conrod with heat, and had to be pressed out?
Yes, the gudgeon pin is a tight press-fit into the conrod although I don't think much heat is used, I've pressed them out fairly easily in the past without damage using just a gentle warming. The consequent issue is that wear is in the piston rather than the little-end bearing but the dear old Essex seems to endure this OK. :)

SE4B Coupe - completely rebuilt on brand-new chassis.
RSSOC member since 1977. 😲
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes…including you.

james7759

Post by james7759 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:21 pm

Bit of an update, Not as far forward as I had hoped after a 4 day weekend but as it rained constantly I was a bit stuck. Engine block is back from the blasters so got some colour on it, I have decided to go for a gold block and head with gloss black rockers, sump etc. I know its not conventional but as I am going for a more restomod build it wont matter too much anyway. I will be cleaning the surface off so dont worry too much about the overspray.

Managed to get the interior all out to keep it clean and tidy, pulled all the badges, wing mirrors, grill and lights out and packed away for the time being to keep them out of trouble although I will probably replace the headlights for a more modern unit.
Attachments
IMG_3987.jpg
IMG_3987.jpg (156.12 KiB) Viewed 552 times
IMG_3986.jpg
IMG_3986.jpg (164.53 KiB) Viewed 552 times

Return to “Introductions”