Thinking of selling

Old ads will stay here for a while before being kicked out forever after 6 months or so.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, Terry Rickard

Se64me

Thinking of selling

Post by Se64me » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:21 am

Hi, I don’t want to step on any toes if there has been further negotiation with others but if this is now for sale with an asking price I would be very interested. Please message me or post back

Regards

landowner

Thinking of selling

Post by landowner » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:19 am

I haven't heard back from Ian yet but a couple of others have backed out due to transport problems. I'm looking for around sixteen hundred for the car and can deliver a reasonable distance.
regards
Pete

For all your engine requirements http://www.lymmengineparts.co.uk/ The people who know about engines

Ian Lock

Thinking of selling

Post by Ian Lock » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:48 am

Hi.
I don't think I want your GTE because the body looks good but the chassis is shot and would need a full body off to fix, plus the MOT said insufficient washer liquid at front there is nothing there to deliver it. The headlights need replacing and it would have to be taken to a garage for the emissions to be sorted and to me it looks as if there has been a fire in the engine bay with all the fire extinguisher powder there. the air filter is missing , drivers window motor needs replacing ,the front nameplate is missing . Although the interior looks very good I still feel it would cost a lot to get it through a MOT and on the road .You got it on a trailer and I would have to do the same . So without a full MOT I think the car is only worth about £900. So in the mean time I will carry on looking for another Lotus Excel to keep the one I have company until another Red GTE comes on the market for me to buy.

GTC Ian
RSSOC Member

Thinking of selling

Post by GTC Ian » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:02 am

Ian Lock wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:48 am
Hi.
I don't think I want your GTE because the body looks good but the chassis is shot and would need a full body off to fix, plus the MOT said insufficient washer liquid at front there is nothing there to deliver it. The headlights need replacing and it would have to be taken to a garage for the emissions to be sorted and to me it looks as if there has been a fire in the engine bay with all the fire extinguisher powder there. the air filter is missing , drivers window motor needs replacing ,the front nameplate is missing . Although the interior looks very good I still feel it would cost a lot to get it through a MOT and on the road .You got it on a trailer and I would have to do the same . So without a full MOT I think the car is only worth about £900. So in the mean time I will carry on looking for another Lotus Excel to keep the one I have company until another Red GTE comes on the market for me to buy.
Bit harsh on your assessment. Think it would have been better sending a pm and not putting your opinions on a public domain.

White GTC no 91 (Now getting the TLC it justly deserves)
Personal mechanic to Barbara's SS1
Previous SE5a JKG 236N (R.I.P)
Members since 1984

landowner

Thinking of selling

Post by landowner » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:03 am

Ian Lock wrote:
Hi.
Fair enough, photo taken with filter off but it's back on now, chassis is solid except for one piece that supports tank and that will clean up and paint. Washer bottle is missing because it was rubbish so I threw it away, new one required. Headlamps ok it needs a new headlamp switch because they are stuck on high beam. Emissions not a problem, just needs weakening off as the C02 was too high. Window motor may be wiring or a fuse but have to assume motor u/s for sale purposes. The car didn't have a nameplate on the front from new, and I drove it to and from mot as it's taxed and insured.
I could have spend some time, fixed and bodged the car for a full mot but I cant for health reasons and I wanted to be as honest as possible, the car is worth whatever someone wants to pay for it, at least there will be no surprises for the new owner whatever they pay for it.
Oh and yes there was a fire but no damage, I could have cleaned it up but again want to be honest.
Good luck finding a trouble free Lotus
30440948_1513106132131172_8311957917691543552_n.jpg
30440948_1513106132131172_8311957917691543552_n.jpg (147.57 KiB) Viewed 650 times

For all your engine requirements http://www.lymmengineparts.co.uk/ The people who know about engines

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Thinking of selling

Post by scimjim » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:12 am

Sounds like a few quid on consumables, an air filter, headlight switch and a washer bottle and a weekends work to me?

It certainly doesn't need the body off to fix :roll:

May be worth paying someone to do the minor work, getting an MOT and raising the price accordingly?

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

landowner

Thinking of selling

Post by landowner » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:20 am

scimjim wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:12 am
Sounds like a few quid on consumables, an air filter, headlight switch and a washer bottle and a weekends work to me?

It certainly doesn't need the body off to fix :roll:

May be worth paying someone to do the minor work, getting an MOT and raising the price accordingly?
Air filter back on , took it off to check for fuel when it wouldn't start (electrical problem) wouldn't trust anyone to bodge it for mot because that's what they would do. It needs a good home and doing properly, I'm not looking at making the most money for it, I want someone to know exactly what they are buying and being prepared to give it some love and attention. I was stitched up when I bought it because the seller didn't mention all its little problems but what the hell, I've enjoyed driving the car and showing it off now it's someone else's turn. :D

Mikeincoleshill
RSSOC Member

Thinking of selling

Post by Mikeincoleshill » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:59 am

Still looks a good buy to me. As Jim says a few Bob on bits and a weekend's fiddling and it should be o.k.

Lee
RSSOC Member

Thinking of selling

Post by Lee » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:29 am

GTC Ian wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:02 am
Ian Lock wrote:
Hi.
Bit harsh on your assessment. Think it would have been better sending a pm and not putting your opinions on a public domain.
I agree, this is very harsh to be publicly posted and to be honest, even privately the tone is rude. Surely just a "on reflection your GTE is not the car for me, but good luck with the sale" would be all that was required, especially when landowner has been totally up front and above board throughout the for sale posts. I'm disappointed to be honest, as I have come to expect better on here.

"Obviously your ambition outweighed your talent"

AllingtonGT
RSSOC Member

Thinking of selling

Post by AllingtonGT » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:33 am

GTC Ian wrote:
Ian Lock wrote:
Hi.
I have to agree. There are other cars in clearly worse condition selling for quite a bit more on eBay et al.

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Thinking of selling

Post by Coupe Racing » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:39 am

Lee wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:29 am
GTC Ian wrote:
Ian Lock wrote:
Hi.
I agree, this is very harsh to be publicly posted and to be honest, even privately the tone is rude. Surely just a "on reflection your GTE is not the car for me, but good luck with the sale" would be all that was required, especially when landowner has been totally up front and above board throughout the for sale posts. I'm disappointed to be honest, as I have come to expect better on here.

Don’t worry he will probably need some collective wisdom at some point

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

rebel alliance

Thinking of selling

Post by rebel alliance » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:56 am

I'm not sure what someone expects for £1,600 Body off , new headlamps , no washer bottle. Hahaha...see ,this is why i never join 😂

turbster
RSSOC Member

Thinking of selling

Post by turbster » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:04 pm

rebel alliance wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:56 am
I'm not sure what someone expects for £1,600 Body off , new headlamps , no washer bottle. Hahaha...see ,this is why i never join 😂
Never join what? If it's the club he's not a member... But yes, that level of expectation for what is pretty much basement prices for a runner now is ridiculous and slating the car in public is not fair.

2005 RSSOC Sprint and Hillclimb champion
LRP 335E SE4a
XRF 976H SE5
DBY 119M SE5a
Previous: Sabre Six GT, SE4, SE4a, SE4b, SE5, SE5a x 5, SE6a x 2, SE6b x 2, GTC, Middlebridge x 2, SS1 ti, Sabre 1.4k

David Tew
RSSOC Member

Thinking of selling

Post by David Tew » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:13 pm

landowner wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:03 am
Fair enough, ......
Pete, I think you've been incredibly honest, patient and calm under unreasonable fire. :wink:
landowner wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:03 am
Good luck finding a trouble free Lotus
Is there one? :lol:

1968 Coupe SE4b 3L. Rebuilt on new chassis. 4HA Powr-lok. Anti-tramp mountings. Wider front track. BW T5 gearbox & Pro 5.0 quickshift. Cosworth clutch. Stainless manifolds & exhaust. Stainless tank. Roller rockers. V63 cam. Vulcan stage-2 unleaded heads. 15" Cobras. ....

landowner

Thinking of selling

Post by landowner » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:25 pm

rebel alliance wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:56 am
Doesn't need the body taking off, just a wire brush and some paint to the rusty item.
doesn't need new headlamps just a switch,
I have a washer bottle that will fit
I should have bodged it and painted some engine bay items, not mentioned some of the faults and then sold it but would you con a fellow member on here ?

Return to “Removed For Sale and Ebay”