Brightwells 28th November

Links to Scimitar-related ebay items and other sales sites

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Terry Rickard

IanC
RSSOC Member

Post by IanC » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:21 am

link here to Brightwell's auction on 28th November . The chassis number according to TSAIF is SE5a, but the body/dash look SE5. Is this a crossover model? Looks nice though!
Ian

Current : SE5a 4spd auto project
Past: SE5, SE5a x 3, GTC x 3, SE6, SE6a

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:32 am

I thought the SE5a came in at #452500, which makes this a very late SE5 (and it certainly looks like a '71 spec with the side strips)?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:53 am

Yep, late 5. There is an error in the first edition of TSAIF which shows the 5a as being introduced in 72 instead of 71.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

IanC
RSSOC Member

Post by IanC » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:26 am

Thanks chaps for the clarification
Ian

Scimher

Post by Scimher » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:35 am

Yes, a very late SE5......it does look lovely - very clean indeed. Will be interesting to see what price it yields...

*JP*

Post by *JP* » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:03 pm

It looks very tidy indeed and a sale within the estimate,say £5k,seems feasible.

BUT I tend to think that if the car is as good as it looks then a private sale within this price range would not be difficult.

So why the auction?
Buyer beware!..you can't detect whining axles,slipping clutches,smoky engines,etc,etc,stood in an auction hall!

monkey135
RSSOC Member

Post by monkey135 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:02 am

Went to view this car this week, what the pictures don't show is that the paint is pretty terrible. Bubbling on the roof and wing, peeling off at the rear and front ends, cracks on the bonnet corners.

Ian

'72 SE5a, '57 MGA coupe, '59 MGA roadster (project)

IanC
RSSOC Member

Post by IanC » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:20 am

Which is very different from the auctioneer's description! In which case the price range doesn't look so realistic. It will be interesting to see what it goes for

Rust hater

Post by Rust hater » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:17 pm

A bit of sleuthing, which may be incorrect of course, is that it has one registered keeper who disposed of it to a dealer who did not change the V5 and has now decided to pass it on. One assumes it was a deceased estate but who knows? :mrgreen: This may all be incorrect but is what I have picked up. Seems it 'has had a lot of interest'.

Hmmm. I bought a Bristol 401 at auction some years ago. The seller seems to have been a dealer but said he was an enthusiast who had bought it to sell on. He took the rare radio for his Bristol but luckily ran out of time to take the Alfin front brakes .... but when I became the proud owner I discovered a water loss issue .... losing it down the bores ....That was not an engine where an amateur can change the paper thin head gasket, workshops warned me of a bill of £4-10k so I sold it on .... at auction.

Naturally the reserve is not being declared but the auctioneer says he will be amazed if it sells below the lower end of guide.

I have registered for a phone bid .................

Geraint SabreGTCse5
RSSOC Member

Post by Geraint SabreGTCse5 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:58 pm

Rust hater wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:17 pm
A bit of sleuthing, which may be incorrect of course, is that it has one registered keeper who disposed of it to a dealer who did not change the V5 and has now decided to pass it on. One assumes it was a deceased estate but who knows? :mrgreen: This may all be incorrect but is what I have picked up. Seems it 'has had a lot of interest'.

Hmmm. I bought a Bristol 401 at auction some years ago. The seller seems to have been a dealer but said he was an enthusiast who had bought it to sell on. He took the rare radio for his Bristol but luckily ran out of time to take the Alfin front brakes .... but when I became the proud owner I discovered a water loss issue .... losing it down the bores ....That was not an engine where an amateur can change the paper thin head gasket, workshops warned me of a bill of £4-10k so I sold it on .... at auction.

Naturally the reserve is not being declared but the auctioneer says he will be amazed if it sells below the lower end of guide.

I have registered for a phone bid .................
caveat emptor ..... hope you have viewed the car and happy with the paint

Geraint

Sabre ti, se5, GTC, 6b.......

Better to be late in this life than early in the next!

Rust hater

Post by Rust hater » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:16 pm

No I haven't had the chance to see it, which is a great shame. If I bid it will be carefully. My ideal classic at a sensible price will not have perfect paint because I'd be nervous all the time. I have one classic that is immaculate and its going to have to go up for sale next year. Only have one poor pic of it here at work ... the red car was borrowed! Its great but a real responsibility to keep looking good. The Brightwells GTE looks pretty genuine but its a gamble so I will not bid too high. If I bid at all, I may well get blown out before I get the chance to do so

Should have said, Manta is a custom with a tuned 4.6 Rangie V8 in it, Edelbrock inlet manifold & exhausts, MSD reprogrammable ignition, Wildwood brakes with bias adjuster and so on. Bought by me but not done by me I have to admit ............ goes like stink. LSD & getrag gearbox, its nice. No rust at all.
Attachments
IMG_1176 - Copy.JPG
IMG_1176 - Copy.JPG (161.42 KiB) Viewed 891 times

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:04 pm

I really like that

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

Rust hater

Post by Rust hater » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:56 am

Its incredible. The guy who did it carried out major panel replacement so just no rust at all. Porsche 928 leather seats with electric motors for adjustment, narrowed Opel saloon (Senator??) back axle with custom Mauser half shafts, completely revised suspension, narrowed chassis rails to take the V8, genuine Minilites plus some Opel alloys. Instruments all new US items (autosport from memory). It goes like stink, holds the road superbly and is a joy to drive. A bit noisy from the outside due to a pair of rather small Edelbrock mufflers and a big bore exhaust. I need to find time to do many things, but on this car just to sort out the revised fuel tank and electrics in the passenger seat motors at which point it is then faultless.
I will sell it on though having owned it for a few years and turned heads whenever out in it. I live in a rural (ie muddy) part of Somerset and no longer have the patience to clean a very smart car every time I take it out. Also the engine is a snug fit everywhere which has not yet caused me a problem but does mean that should I have to do much work it will be a pain. If ever it has to come out it would be good to have a better workshop as amazingly it can only be extracted from underneath .... where as it happens there is a front axle to remove first.
The programmable MSD ignition apparently means it can be set up quickly via a laptop for fast road, hillclimb, race, sprint whatever. I haven't found the setting for slow road though :mrgreen:
In this photo I was taking it to a car show that I had organised. Had invited a mate with that Ferrari to bring it. He couldn't make it but said I could take it along too, what a burden that was! I thought best not to tell him I was 50% through a cataract operation so seeing double and needing to shut one eye if I saw any hazards on the road ... such as a car coming in the opposite direction ....

Rust hater

Post by Rust hater » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:30 pm

I came second ............ my bid was £4200 but it sold for £4500 + 10% buyers premium. I was advised that the chassis is all very sound. Next bid had to be £4,800. No matter, I am not in a great hurry but this one owner car did look pretty good and unmolested too.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:34 pm

Well done for sticking to your limit :)

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Return to “Ebay and other Sales Links”