Parts for sale

Cars and Parts for Sale

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward, Terry Rickard

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Parts for sale

Post by scimjim » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:41 pm

Lockheed will be brake or clutch parts I think. The later 6b didn’t have the SCIMITAR lettering but had a large shield instead, perhaps he fitted one of those?

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

halfpenny

Parts for sale

Post by halfpenny » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:59 pm

Lockheed was the brand name for AP brakes. Borg and Beck for AP clutches. However many parts had cross branding in the seventies, when 'AP Lockheed' had a very large motor factors range including water pumps, steering parts, wheel bearings, filters etc - in fact any fast moving consumable.

Diyhell
RSSOC Member

Parts for sale

Post by Diyhell » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:34 pm

halfpenny, I never knew that AP was Lockheed etc. Every day is a school day and all that...

SE6a needing lots of work...

halfpenny

Parts for sale

Post by halfpenny » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:54 pm

I was apprenticed there. The current brand owners are different businesses, though 'Borg and Beck' are a big motor factor now. No connection with Lockheed aircraft btw. Went past the old main site today; the last original building, where all the clutches were made, is being dismantled.

scimmy

Parts for sale

Post by scimmy » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:11 pm

Might as well throw the parts I have in the bin as they'll be worthless and people will pay sod all for em.

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Parts for sale

Post by gtcse8 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:50 am

scimmy wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:11 pm
Might as well throw the parts I have in the bin as they'll be worthless and people will pay sod all for em.
scimmy you had a few people wanting some of the parts, then you made it PickUp only, you moved the goalposts :wink:
Not everyone wanted All of the parts.

Mark Wilson. See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s, GTC, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

Jimscim
RSSOC Member

Parts for sale

Post by Jimscim » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:40 pm

Minimum effort,maximum results come to mind :oops:

RSSOC 3408 1979/80 Scimitar 6a . Mulberry / white .

Laters
RSSOC Member

Parts for sale

Post by Laters » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:33 pm

I have been trying to get some parts for my Scimitar recently.
Some that it needed because of age/previous owners handiwork & other parts I need because they were either damaged when the car was broken into or stolen from it by some local skip rats.

In recent weeks the types of seller I have come across are:-

The ones who say what they have. You message them and they say "yes got that part I will get back to you". They say they will get back to you and never do.

The ones who tell you how rare the parts are and how they are worth a million pounds (exaggeration but some of the prices I have been quoted for things would make the cars worth £1000's in spares alone).

The sellers who just ignore messages and never answer messages.

There have been a few that go out of their way to help in any way they can but sadly these type of people seem to be very rare themselves these days.

The above isnt aimed at anyone just a general comment of my experiences of trying to get parts for my car.

Paul

Previously owned:- 1969 se5 non o/d, 1972 se5a o/d
Currently owned:- 1976 se6 automatic

rebel alliance

Parts for sale

Post by rebel alliance » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:02 pm

Thats only three types you missed out the forth 😊

Geraint SabreGTCse5
RSSOC Member

Parts for sale

Post by Geraint SabreGTCse5 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:34 pm

Laters wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:33 pm
I have been trying to get some parts for my Scimitar recently.
Some that it needed because of age/previous owners handiwork & other parts I need because they were either damaged when the car was broken into or stolen from it by some local skip rats.

In recent weeks the types of seller I have come across are:-

The ones who say what they have. You message them and they say "yes got that part I will get back to you". They say they will get back to you and never do.

The ones who tell you how rare the parts are and how they are worth a million pounds (exaggeration but some of the prices I have been quoted for things would make the cars worth £1000's in spares alone).

The sellers who just ignore messages and never answer messages.

There have been a few that go out of their way to help in any way they can but sadly these type of people seem to be very rare themselves these days.

The above isnt aimed at anyone just a general comment of my experiences of trying to get parts for my car.
the above comments could equally apply to owners, I have a quantity of spares collected over 40 years of ownership I rarely respond to wanted adds on here any more as most posters seldom reply..

there are rare parts on each model, and a good scimitar is probably worth far more in parts than as a whole at the moment....... several vehicles that were advertised on here and F/B recently have been broken for parts for more than the asking price of the whole car.

there are owners who think that the car they paid a couple of hundred quid for should reflect the value of parts they need..... errrr if the car had those parts in good order in the first place it would not have been so cheap.

prices will only go up as they become more scarce........

Geraint

Sabre ti, se5, GTC, 6b.......

Better to be late in this life than early in the next!

Laters
RSSOC Member

Parts for sale

Post by Laters » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:53 pm

Agree to a certain degree as I have experienced the same when selling things. (both car and not car related)
Also agree that some things are worth more as component parts than as a complete car. (one of my other hobbies is r/c cars which if I sold one I currently have it would raise £300 max but in parts is more like £1000)

The days of the few hundred pound cars are long since gone in my opinion for anything more than a total basket case with little in useable parts.

I paid good money for mine as it drove with a few small issues. I have slowly been collecting parts it needed before the theft and got a couple of good door pannels but had to pay a reasonable amount for them (which didnt bother me).
Its the damage done when the parts were stolen thats proving the issue. (the door panels were scruffy and getting ones without damage wasn't easy)

I realise that as a buyer I always want things at the best possible price where the seller wants to get what they can get.

For instance I have been quoted £400 each for the door frames from a se6 by a guy breaking a car (one of the few to communicate that far). Yes I paid more than £800 (£1500 to be honest, as it needs tidying/painting) for the car.

From my post above most of the people who are selling parts I have contacted it very rarely gets as far as discussing price as they go silent before that point has been reached.

I am more than happy to pay going rate for parts but it's more than frustrating when people go silent without even mentioning prices

Paul

Geraint SabreGTCse5
RSSOC Member

Parts for sale

Post by Geraint SabreGTCse5 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:58 pm

door frames £400 :shock: .... I suggest you contact Graham Walker he has new ones for less than that for a pair!

Geraint

Sabre ti, se5, GTC, 6b.......

Better to be late in this life than early in the next!

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Parts for sale

Post by scimjim » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:43 pm

Paul, it sounds like you’ve been really unlucky - over 30 odd years of Scimitar ownership, I’ve probably only met a couple of sellers within the Club that meet your descriptions and the vast majority are great to deal with. I also sell a lot of parts now and can honestly say I’ve been messed around by buyers changing their minds a lot more than sellers.

I hope I don’t fall into any of your categories :shock: I’m occasionally guilty of forgetting things (2 last weekend!) but in my defence I’m pretty busy and do eventually get around to it :D

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Laters
RSSOC Member

Parts for sale

Post by Laters » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:21 pm

Glad its not just me that thought the £400 door frames were a bit OTT to say the least. :shock:
If I get the rest of the car right and the door frames are still holding me back I will be contacting GW and QRG but thought I would get some used ones easier.

I know what you mean Jim. Most of the sellers I was mentioning are outside of the forum (ebay, facebook, other websites) & some of the sellers on here have gone above and beyond in helping.
I never really used facebook much and the recent sellers I have tried to contact have just confirmed I was right. I will stick to the club forum in future.

The reasons I bought another scimitar were firstly my lifelong obsession with them (I bought my first se5 accident damaged when I was 18 & I turn 53 this year) ok there has been a few years where I didn't own a scimitar inbetween.
Plus I have some very happy memories of visiting club events many moons ago & some of the members made a big impression (Don Pither, Robin Rew & Paul Johnstone to name a few). All helped in a big way sorting parts for the se5 rebuild.
Without the help sourcing parts and advice given on sorting things I am unsure if the SE5 would have ever got done.

Paul

Return to “For Sale”