SE5a barn find 24V conversion - 40mpg!

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, erikscimitardemon, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington

SE5a barn find 24V conversion - 40mpg!

Postby philhoward » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:41 am

It's about to depart from Somerset to Staffordshire (cheers Jim - you're a star), so best to start a(nother) project thread me thinks!
Have already put a wanted post up for those bits that Jim has identified as missing, so we'll see how that goes. As I guess happens with all uncompleted restoration projects a few bits have gone missing along the way (unless Burtle finds them!); first being the body to chassis bolts.. Are any of them threaded into the chassis, or are they all nut-and-bolt? Never removed a body so wouldn't know! If just nuts and bolts, i'll see how my Metric bolt collection stands up, otherwise i'm off shopping for a job lot of imperial bolts (and probably a socket set) as its a long time since I had a car with imperial bolts everywhere.

Anyway, a couple of pics to get started...
Attachments
FirstWash.jpg
First Wash in about 10 years
AsFound.jpg
As Found/sold
Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1's - 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5
SE5a Barn Find Project 24 Valve conversion
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.
philhoward
RSSOC Member

Re: SE5a barn find recommissioning

Postby peter freeman » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:57 am

The oaintwork looks good - at least on the photos.
peter freeman
RSSOC Member

Postby philhoward » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:07 am

Apparently its pretty good in the flesh as well; couple of storage scratches and a good polish should see it looking nice (I hope!). In the one it looks like BL Tahiti Blue; in another almost Teal blue (having had cars in both colours in the past). We'll see..?
Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.
philhoward
RSSOC Member

Postby Gemini Bob » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:18 am

Hi Phil, I like the car and cant wait to see your updates. I purchased one of these last year and they are well worth the money ebay Item number: 190399464843, he sell lots of Britool tools at good prices. I might also have two brand new nose support brackets as I bought them from CFS and I think they are for a 5 and not the 6 series, I wont know for sure until I get mine removed.
Regards
Bob
HUE 1979 SE6a GTE Auto
If the cap fits wear it.
If at first you don't succeed, pay someone who knows what they are doing.
Scimitars Biggest Fan
Resto viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3377 Just for Geoff ;-)
Gemini Bob

Postby nickkeyser » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:28 am

philhoward wrote:Apparently its pretty good in the flesh as well; couple of storage scratches and a good polish should see it looking nice (I hope!). In the one it looks like BL Tahiti Blue; in another almost Teal blue (having had cars in both colours in the past). We'll see..?

Looks similar to dads, which is trafalgar blue, although I dont think this was a correct SE5 colour, possibly from the 6 series or the 'economy range'.
"Simplfy, then add lightness" - Colin Chapman
nickkeyser
RSSOC Member

Postby philhoward » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:20 pm

I still have no idea what colour it is! Looks similar to Tahiti Blue, but the good news is that aside from a bit of chipped paint on the one door it's in pretty good nick - odd dodgy bit here and there, and a few scratches but most of it should polish out.

Engine is siezed - plugs out (eventually - one lost in the process) and first squirt of releasing fluid in the bores. Will add a concoction of thin fluids over the next few days so see if it will free off the engine.

Now playing "find whats missing"...I have 3 headlights, 3 main beams and plenty of bits of rear light clusters but not enough to make a full set (missing an indicator lens). Still undecided if to go the Bulgarian Trailer Lights route or not..
Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
philhoward
RSSOC Member

Postby dead scimitar » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:53 pm

some of the bolts are captive in the chassis while others are nut and bolt I got a whole load of stainless from a bolt packaging factory in rugby really cheap for mine there called apex i think and they do every conceivable nut bolt in stainless will get more detail if you want
dead scimitar

Postby Taggers » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:54 am

Looks a lot like Rover Corsica blue to me.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-P6-3500-Aut ... 0577938929

Looks like a Leyland colour, anyway.
1979 SE6A
Taggers

Postby philhoward » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:58 am

That looks similar...
Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
philhoward
RSSOC Member

Postby reliant-reviver » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:34 am

philhoward wrote:If just nuts and bolts, i'll see how my Metric bolt collection stands up, otherwise i'm off shopping for a job lot of imperial bolts (and probably a socket set) as its a long time since I had a car with imperial bolts everywhere

Just get a couple of mixed packs from Namrick.co.uk

They have a good stock and are very helpful. If I spot metric fastners on your car, I shall not be impressed!
Philip Andrew. Self assured SS1 know-it-all
Current : SS1 1300 "KMG" - Sideways round a track near you 2017
Also: SS1 1800ti big rebuild on hiatus.
reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Postby philhoward » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:42 am

UNF mixed packs ordered, sir..
Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
philhoward
RSSOC Member

Postby Gillsfan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:04 pm

Phil the paint looked really good when it was outside Jims (you can just make out rat rod in the top left of the photo) apart from the odd scratch as you mentioned I'm jealous.
Steve

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about

1969 SE 5 Manual O/D Rat Rod
RSSOC Jaffa cakes in a minute champion
Gillsfan

Postby philhoward » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:44 pm

I've been making a bit of progress, albeit mostly taking stock of how much I need to do. Engine bores currently soaking in Diesel fuel treatment, but haven't freed off yet.

Forwards progress isn't a great deal at the moment and confined to starting to bolt the body back on to the chassis (with UNF bolts, R-R...). The rear crossmember was just sitting loose (not bolted to the chassis), so got that in position using the number plate/towbar bracket, then some new 5/16 UNF bolts. So far, got the 4 load area bolts in and one of the footwell bolts (by the centre console). The one halfway down the door apeture is currently blocked off by the new bit of chassis (out with the die grinder when I repatriate my compressor to the new house from the lockup) and need to make a new hole in the front corner of the footwell to the front outrigger to sort that one out.

Seatbelts - I have a good pair of the original Britax ones to refit, but no floor brackets. Do new ones (Securon, probably) come with floor bracketry - and are both holes used, or does one just hold the body to the chassis?

Thanks to simon_rs, I now have the majority of a black interior to fit just to add complexity - its first outing might be a mixture of tan and black though!
Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
philhoward
RSSOC Member

Postby philhoward » Sun May 01, 2011 10:51 pm

Oh dear....

Well, despite some diesel-soaked bores, the engine still hasn't freed up. Thanks to ebay :twisted: i've just secured an X30XE engine, box, and all the necessary electrics...anyone else trying this in a 5a yet (know of 2 6a's in progress)?

I think this is what is (as Steve Cork defined to me) an "accident"...
Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
philhoward
RSSOC Member

Postby SilverComet » Sun May 01, 2011 11:25 pm

philhoward wrote:I've been making a bit of progress, albeit mostly taking stock of how much I need to do. Engine bores currently soaking in Diesel fuel treatment, but haven't freed off yet.

Forwards progress isn't a great deal at the moment and confined to starting to bolt the body back on to the chassis (with UNF bolts, R-R...). The rear crossmember was just sitting loose (not bolted to the chassis), so got that in position using the number plate/towbar bracket, then some new 5/16 UNF bolts. So far, got the 4 load area bolts in and one of the footwell bolts (by the centre console). The one halfway down the door apeture is currently blocked off by the new bit of chassis (out with the die grinder when I repatriate my compressor to the new house from the lockup) and need to make a new hole in the front corner of the footwell to the front outrigger to sort that one out.

Seatbelts - I have a good pair of the original Britax ones to refit, but no floor brackets. Do new ones (Securon, probably) come with floor bracketry - and are both holes used, or does one just hold the body to the chassis?

Thanks to simon_rs, I now have the majority of a black interior to fit just to add complexity - its first outing might be a mixture of tan and black though!

Phil, I just did this -

The securon from QR do come with brackets, but not the correct ones, you need to probably make your own (not a difficult shape) or procure some.

Securon comes with a single hole each end of the L, whilst 5a's have 2 to the chassis and 1 for the reel, the single hole from the securon sits very flush to the body and I imagine it'd create issues trying to get it in with the bolt.

if you take a look at the holes it really is a very simple design, the one closest to the gearbox tunnel should be captive (due to proximity to chassis so no room for a socket when you come to take it off, being a box section a spanner etc is a pain also) and the other should be a normal arrangement with a large plate or washer underneath in order to spread the load. (my driver's had a welded nut on this, try not to do this as it's a real pain in the posterior to get off after 30 odd years on a very shallow head).

You can prolly get away with 1 but I feel better using both, especially as the other end of the seatbelt is meant to go on the bolt nearest the tunnel.

I'll take a picture tomorrow.

You no doubt know all this already but hey >.>
Last edited by SilverComet on Sun May 01, 2011 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben (1975 SE5a used for wedding). Son of Andy Faulkner (SE6a & Coupe), brother to Daniel Faulkner (SS1 & Equip GT4s), Wonder where I get the reliant bug from...
SilverComet

Next

Return to Project Progress