Harpboys Black Beauty Body Off Chassis Rebuild

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

Harpboy

Re: Harpboys Black Beauty Body Off Chassis Rebuild

Post by Harpboy » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:03 pm

Hi Jim

I was thinking of the green wire cluster coming off the fusebox - I had a loose connector on the new fusebox I put in which now means all the aforemention gauges are now working & the green feed to the overdrive switch means I have an overdrive now.

I don't have permanent low level light on... there is an earth lead which was & has been refitted to the tank fuel outlet - it was working before. How does everyone else earth the fuel sender then?

Steve

Electrics can be fun......99.99% of the reasons why your electrical bits don't work...IS BAD EARTHS
1979 SE6A MOD

Harpboy

Post by Harpboy » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:21 am

Well,

Switched over the connectors - no joy. Checked with ignition on & there is no power coming to the sender so that explains why its not working. It should have a stabiised voltage same as the temp guage according to the wiring diagram so will have to get behind the dash & see whats coming in.

The earthing is a single earth from the loom point where both sender wires come out & is fixed to the outlet of the stainless tank. Same as it was before it was dismantled.

The quest goes on.

Steve

Electrics can be fun......99.99% of the reasons why your electrical bits don't work...IS BAD EARTHS
1979 SE6A MOD

Harpboy

Post by Harpboy » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:04 pm

Hi folks,

Finally got my pictures sorted, hope you enjoy from where we left off,

When I was trying to get the overdrive switch in place just couldn't figure how it was positioned. Mike camover & we both pondered it so went to Mikes & got under his motor & took some pictures for reference:

So knowing now how its positioned it was an easy fix:

Then it was time to replace the troublesome fusebox:

Which was a 12 fuse holder - duly modified:

Connector blocks from Halfords & Maplins - Use the Halfords ones - they are better:

I have a spare loom from a previous car so used that where the fusebox joined & created an extended loom for the new fusebox, bonus is I have same colour coding & an extended length so its easier to pull out to work on.

Steve

1979 SE6A MOD

AnthonyJC

Post by AnthonyJC » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:06 am

Steve

That is a really elegant solution, and a great way to improve on the old glass type fuses.

Will add to my mod list, and will keep an eye out for anyone breaking a 6A who I can get that part off the loom from

Regards

Antony

Harpboy

Post by Harpboy » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:15 am

Hi Anthony,

Cheers, the original cover can be re-used - just cut out the ends & the ridges inside split neatly into 2 halves - drill a hole & there you go from a casual glance looks like an original fuse box. The loom availability on spares/breakers may not be great but the covers come along quite often in my experience. The Halfords conector blocks are much much better & easier to work on as opposed to to Maplins connectors which are more suited to thinner core wires like those in computers & the like. I have a mixture of both but would strongly recommend the Halfords blocks. Everything soldered together for peace of mind too.

Steve

Steve

1979 SE6A MOD

AnthonyJC

Post by AnthonyJC » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:54 am

Steve,

Forgot to ask but where did you source the blade fuse box from?

Luckily I still have the original cover, one of the reasons for committing to buy my project was that it was not heavily modified apart from tubular manifolds and had sat in hibernation for almost 13 years. Just a shame its Celtic Brown (but its growing on me slowly). Body to come off shortly once I have found suitable/affordable storage down here at this end.

Regards

Antony

Harpboy

Post by Harpboy » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:56 pm

Hi Antony,

Available at the shows for about 12 quid I think I paid for mine

or stafford vehicle for example

http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/fuse-box ... -fuses-12/

regards,

Steve

1979 SE6A MOD

Harpboy

Post by Harpboy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:22 pm

Hi,

Last time I tried to post the pictures we had a major power out in the road so much so that the end of the drive had to be dug out which was major fun!

I will post these now before anything decides to stop me :)

This is about as good as it gets for now, my next major task is bodywork but for now this will do me:

Steve

1979 SE6A MOD

Harpboy

Post by Harpboy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:26 pm

Hi

I have a dumb question but i'm going to ask it. On the auto-choke DGAS how do I adjust the fast idle on start up? Is it via the fast idle screw under the choke assembly? It's just that the car is running a little too fast on start up before the choke warms & it settles. It's idling at around 850 warmed up but must be around 1500 when started which is a bit too high for me on a start from cold.

Can you advise guys - maybe it's obvious but is my question the answer?

Steve

1979 SE6A MOD

Scimher

Post by Scimher » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:43 am

....Can't help you with your question - was just going to say the car looks 'sharp'...............(Andy..[AJL] or a myriad of the techy. guys will be able to tell you......)

Harpboy

Post by Harpboy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:19 am

Cheers Scimher,

Bodywork is nothing special but I'm happy with it for now - just want to use it over the coming months - settle it down & then work on the body next year.

BTW I adjusted the screw under the choke assembly on start up & all is now fine, small adjustment but makes a big difference,

Steve

1979 SE6A MOD

Scimher

Post by Scimher » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:17 pm

...Glad you've sorted it Steve.,....

Harpboy

Post by Harpboy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:00 pm

Hi,

Update on the car:

Sorted the fuel gauge issue - namely I had made a short loom as the original end of the loom with the connectors was poor but as it turned out the wiring i used was dodgy so created a break in the loom. Replaced & switched the connections & working just fine. For those with stainless tanks mine had an earth connector physically attached to an outlet pipe.

I've also had an annoying problem with the courtesy light flickering on & off & sometimes going out on closing the door & other times staying on requiring removal of the fuse to prevent a flat battery. Sorted this Saturday, disconnected the power to the push switch - open the side cover reach in until you feel the wire going to the back of the switch - pull it out & then with a deep socket unscrew the switch from behind the upper door hinge - it will all come out & don't worry about the nut behind as its's captive. I fixed mine as it was bent so straightened it & the added 2 extra washers to bring the switch out to contact the hinge. Reassembled & the problem is solved. Took around 1/2 hour & well worth the effort.

Now have the task of making the car more watertight - still have drips coming in either side above the footwells. Not leaking from the front of the screen but must be getting in from the top somewhere. Its' bizzare really because all the rain we have today & the wells are dry.

Still got a small leak from the sunroof which I havent changed yet but this is minimal since I cleaned & vaselined it. It will need to be changed eventually & the sunrook I picked up from Corky is just shy of the width I need so will need to think this option through.

Steve

1979 SE6A MOD

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:02 pm

The car looks good, well done :D

Re the leaks, as well as the screen, it's worth looking at things like wiper spindles, radio aerial, etc,. A sealant which creeps in and seals (like Captain Tolley's) is probably worth a try.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Harpboy

Post by Harpboy » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:13 am

Hi Roger,

Thanks appreciate the comments,

Will have to try that stuff - not used it before,

Steve

1979 SE6A MOD

Return to “Project Progress”