Lozzzzzzz's Omega LPG powered SE6a with added balljoints

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, erikscimitardemon, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward

lozzzzzz

Re: Lozzzzzzz's Omega LPG powered SE6a with added balljoints

Post by lozzzzzz » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:59 am

Thanks Guys

:D :D :D :D

loz

MikeyBikey

Post by MikeyBikey » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:09 am

Cripes 3.2 next.

And don't forget the beacham v lozzzzz challenge :w :w

Is we sideways yet...

lozzzzzz

Post by lozzzzzz » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:17 am

Don't worry Mike, I'm more confident that that shouldn't be a problem :) :)

We'll have you taken care of in no time :)

loz

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:23 am

Well done Loz - and well done to the car! Sounds like the meticulous build paid dividends with car running for that long without complaining (discs aside). Certainly looks very composed from the pics.

A quick "in my head" calculation says is did 10mpg on the track - that's pretty good going!

Your intention was to make a great track day car; sounds like a success?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

lozzzzzz

Post by lozzzzzz » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:17 am

Right, I've had a bit of a read about discs. And it seems:

Drilled and grooved for show
Grooved for actual benefit.

I think I'd better limit myself to a decent manufacturer too, the EBC pads worked very well, so I'm thinking of going with EBC discs (£150 ish though :( )

Its obvious really, the drilled holes are a massive stress raiser.

More to come

loz

lozzzzzz

Post by lozzzzzz » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:25 am

Yeah great MPG right :)

Thanks Phil, I'm so pleased with it.

In fact it seems such a great balance I've thought twice about supercharging the 3.2. I would hate to upset the balance, and make a hot rod that doesn't handle. Then I came to my senses :)

loz

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:10 pm

Looks ace Loz, and good on you for giving everything else a run for it's money at Bedford.

How'd you find the track, anywhere you felt the car needed a bit more grunt (main straight vs 911 turbos etc.?!) and where'd it really shine / scare the sh*t out of ya? I always found it took a lot of courage to fly through the chicane on the main straight, but when you did, you'd normally bound up behind traffic! Other than that, the back section by the (daunting) bank can be pretty thrilling when taken at full attack.

Think you'll ever re-fit carpets / interior etc. to make it a bit more pleaseant inside? I totally understand the track car ethos, but do think such a well developed Scim would be great in slightly more civilised form....

Philip Andrew.
'74 Robin Super Saloon, '84 SS1 1300, '86 SS1 1800ti, '87 SS1 1300
Previous: I lost count around fifty.

lozzzzzz

Post by lozzzzzz » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:23 am

Philip, I'm really sorry this one slipped the net and I've only read your reply this morning.

I don't think there was any point where the thought of more power popped into my head really. This was only my second track day and the first was years ago, but what really struck me was that by a long long way the driver is the biggest variable. We showed a clean pair of heals to an M3 at one point and 350z, but we were also overtaken by some far less powerful cars. I do remember thinking that the Scim felt really well balanced, and was particularly struck by the cars ability to put lots of power down on the exit to a bend. I will be fitting the 3.2l engine with supercharger so there is a fair power hike in the pipeline but if anything I'm worried that will upset the balance of the car.

The other thing stopping me getting that feeling of "more grunt needed" was the fact that we were limited to 110mph on the long straight as there was a horrible vibration :( Still looking into that now (its a right pain in the arse).

As far as the track goes, my favorite bit was..... every bend! The thing is I'm not a massive risk taker on the road, I always wonder what is round the bend etc and these thoughts slow me down. So while you can give a car full throttle on the road you (I) can't take it the edgve of grip in a bend. Consiquently, I thoroughly enjoyed the sensation of cornering, Absolutely!!!

That said I wasn't too keen on the combination of bends at the start of the long straight, I couldn't seem to get the line right there. I loved the "daunting" bank bend, as you call it, that was cracking at full chat and seemed to go on a bit. My other favorite was the first chicane (is it called that) after you come out of the pit lane, particularly the exit :) :) big smiles there :) The chicane after the main straight was fun but I got it wrong early on in the day and went over the grass, so I didn't really push on much there.

There was one other thing with the handling of the car, it was easy to get it wrong on the transition between braking and turning into the bend, it would oversteer if you were doing too much braking and turning at the same time. Obviously there is a lot of weight transfer to the front at that point. My lack of experience driving things fast means I'm not really sure if this is the norm (as brakes are more powerful than engines), or whether this is a handling trait. Either way I left the trackday thinking that that was where my skills needing impoving, judging the braking point and letting off the pedal as you feed the steering in.

Re. the carpets and things. My mind is made up about the exhausts, I'll be making a more restrictive middle box at the cost of power because the noise it just too much for using it regularly. Then I'll cure the 10hp loss by adding another 100hp with a supercharger, better to be safe than sorry right :)

And the carpets and comfort...... never say never! for now I like it the way it is, but I will never be selling the car (the misses is well aware of this fact) so who knows, in a few years time I might fit some comfort again.

Sorry for the very delayed reply.

loz

lozzzzzz

Post by lozzzzzz » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:31 am

After much saving money (misery!), and some time working on a biodiesel brewing rig, I did some more work on the Scim last night.

I've replace the cracked front discs for new discs without drilled holes this time. Lesson learned, drilled holes don't work!!

And before starting the dirty grinding and welding job on the bio rig, I thought I'd have one more go at getting the old gearbox apart, and it finally gave up and showed me its innards! This is the box that came with the 3L engine (first engine) and seemed to have a gear linkage issue, so I put the box from the 3.2l engine in (3.2l gearbox is meant to be slightly stronger). Anyway the box seems to be fine so I struggled all evening to get it back together and will now be refitting it to see if cures the 115mph vibration issue (then I'll know if its a worn bearing in the stronger (but higher mileage) 3.2 gearbox. Wow that's a long and boring story :)

There won't be much progress on the Scim for a while now as its kind of done except the SC 3.2 engine conversion but thats for the winter. Its all about the bio rig at the moment so I can start driving about on 27p/l fuel :)

If anyone wants to see this progress let me know and I'll post here.

More to come (but not for ages)

loz

lozzzzzz

Post by lozzzzzz » Sun May 18, 2014 2:06 pm

I'm thinking about putting the Scim back on the road next month and had noticed one of the axle seals was leaking. Turns out I hadn't put it on lined up so the seal had failed.

These hubs never come off without a fight!!! (snapped the bolt in the puller, then popped of with some heat and a tap with the hammer)

More to come

loz

lozzzzzz

Post by lozzzzzz » Sat May 31, 2014 4:00 pm

A fresh MOT this morning and 6 months Tax :) :)

loz

MikeyBikey

Post by MikeyBikey » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:59 am

MikeyBikey wrote:Cripes 3.2 next.

And don't forget the beacham v lozzzzz challenge :w :w
8) 8)
lozzzzzz wrote:Don't worry Mike, I'm more confident that that shouldn't be a problem :) :)

We'll have you taken care of in no time :)

:shock:
lozzzzzz wrote: My mind is made up about the exhausts, I'll be making a more restrictive middle box at the cost of power because the noise it just too much for using it regularly. Then I'll cure the 10hp loss by adding another 100hp with a supercharger, better to be safe than sorry right :)
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Hmmm me thinks plan B might be required

Is we sideways yet...

choughton

Post by choughton » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:22 pm

lozzzzzz

Post by lozzzzzz » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:33 pm

I had thought about them bit woth the extra cost, weight, complexity and lited.room under the car i decided to stick with.somethig simple.

What's up Mike? You're not having second thoughts are you?

loz

MikeyBikey

Post by MikeyBikey » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:25 pm

Nope.

Just got to think of a Plan B

(what ever that is :lol: :lol: )

I'll go and polish some chrome and think some

Is we sideways yet...

Return to “Project Progress”