In July 2010, we made the trip to the Classic Le Mans event (this is copied from car shows):
some tips for 2012:
1. Do stop to rescue broken down classics – it’s highly amusing to hear the wife of the dejected DB5 owner say “I wish we had a modern car like that".
2. Whilst sat at the only Morgan owner free table in the village of Suze de la Sarthe, with about 50 Morgan's parked in front, as a tow truck passes by – shout "Taxi for Morgan".
3. Do drive into the car park of a very busy open air pub/restaurant with Abba's Dancing Queen playing whilst singing at the top of your voices.
4. Do take a wrong turn and end up on the racetrack after the 24hr race, and then proceed to wave at the marshals as you fly down the Mulsane straight.
5. Ensure you beat the local pub table football team and win a trophy which will be displayed at all future noggins.
6. Don't laugh uncontrollably whilst drinking orange juice - spraying orange liquid over your crotch area just before stopping for lunch in Leseaux isn't cool.
7. Go with your instincts - eg at 10pm, whilst considering the requirement for a jacket to watch a night race - don't assume it'll still be +30 deg at 3am!!
8. Do invite the "only gay in the village" back to the campsite - what could possibly go wrong?
Overall – a brilliant time was had by all, ten Scimitars shared the Club campsite and another 4 were seen over the weekend.
Thanks to Viv & Xavier for doing the leg work and we’re already looking forward to 2012!
I've tried to show some of the more rarely seen cars instead of Ferraris, GT40s & Cobras:
campsite - time for a beer!
we'd had an occasional spluttering under full throttle (
) so (knowing that we'd run out of fuel last week
) I whipped the filter off:
off to the track
this was on the side of a toolbox and made us chuckle!
lunch at the Tertre Rouge
expensive looking ouch
the most unlikely car to see on a Club stand at Le Mans!
Porsche and chocolate - it had a crowd of women around it all day!!
georgeous standard looking E
and not so standard:
gas turbine car:
rear of the oldest C type
just for Craig:
I stood here drooling for 20 minutes
even a Crapi got my attention - 2.6 RS dry sumped Cologne with mechanical fuel injection