Joe's 1972 GTE - Wiring loom Repair

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Scimher

Joe's 1972 GTE - (Bodywork & paint prep)

Post by Scimher » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:43 pm

Definitely Highland Purple - a lovely & distinctive colour, redolent of the period that the car was made in. Not a fan of red on most cars...(although, 'Orient Red' was my colour-of-choice for my '56 MGA Roadster, many many moons ago - wish I still had it.........to sell, looking at prices! Could do with the dosh! :lol: )

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:11 pm

Another Update:

A few pages ago I posted this picture of the fire damage to the engine bay:

Heres a few more pictures showing thr progress on the repair...

A first attempt to apply fibreglass failed as there was nothing really to adhere to. so for my second attempt I took a flat fibreglass strip and bonded it to the back of the engine bay with structural mix (cotton microfibres & resin.)

This achived a good bond with the damaged section and provided a solid base on which to build.

Heres a photo from midway through the filling and faring process,

I've since done quite a bit more work improving the curves and finish but don't have any more pre primer pics.

During a break from the endless fibreglass repairs I took the damaged B-pillar trims off. I'm going to redo these in extirior grade vinyl.

I then suffered from mission creep and took the gutters off.... As I'm pretty sure these had never been off the car before the red underneath was probably the colour It was when it left the factory.

I then took the door speakers out to protect them during the prep / paint stage. The plastic backing bowls are a very effective solution to protecting them from damp. After 9 years in the car they are still in very good condition!

Doors off:

I wasnt origonally going to take the door frames off but eventually I decided that as I'd done this much it would be daft not to so they were Stripped down too:

And in the process I found lots of other bits that needed repair:

Heres a picture after the repair, There were a string of these repairs too many to document in depth and they arent all that interesting

I then started to strip the engine bay out, for painting and also to repair some more cracked fibreglass...

Cracks had appeared on the innner wing where it meeds the drivers side front chassis upright, fortuneatly the passenger side which had a lot of repair work in 2010 seems to be fine.

To repair this properly I had to get fibreglass on it from the underside which meant unbolting the body enough to get it to lift off the chassis. The front nose sections and bumper points were allready loose the hardest bit was getting to the outrigger bolts that were buried under a thick layer of carpet and sound insulation and were held very firmly in place with contact adhesive. With the bolts holding the front of body removed it was possible to jack the nose up off the chassis with two trolley jacks placed in the wheelarches and a long length of wood to get the height, A timber spreader at the top prevented the load being taken in one place.

This photo shows the clearance between body and chassis, just enough room to get in and prep with a powerfile.

New fiberglass on

After this picture was taken the surface was flatted off and another layer of fibreglass was added from this side.

I just about finished the structural work before the car was due to go to the painter but ran out of time to do any priming myself so the painter is going to take car of that. Heres a few photos of the car Earlier this month when the car went off for paint:

Which will give me an oppertunity to tidy up the garage.... Interestingly this is picture 666. The garage of the beast?

Last edited by Joe. on Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:52 pm

Hats off to you for achieving what you do with just a single garage. I can't stand not having space to work in!

It's refreshing to see a restoration that is achieved in bite size chunks, but also to a high standard. Too often a rolling restoration = an endless string of bodges.

Philip Andrew.
'74 Robin Super Saloon, '84 SS1 1300, '86 SS1 1800ti, '87 SS1 1300
Previous: I lost count around fifty.

barry_bryan
RSSOC Member

Post by barry_bryan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:58 pm

well done I take my hat off to you. Baz

Barry Bryan

Datsundrew

Post by Datsundrew » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:21 pm

Lol.....'mission creep' that had me properly laughing! I so know that one!!

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:19 pm

Datsundrew wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:21 pm
Lol.....'mission creep' that had me properly laughing! I so know that one!!
Happens to me all the time, One minuite I'm changing the head gasket next I'm sanding all the paint off...!
reliant-reviver wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:52 pm
Hats off to you for achieving what you do with just a single garage. I can't stand not having space to work in!
Cheers Phil, I don't always get it right first time the first repair of the back of the engine bay did not adhere well enough and I peeled it all off and started again. Its hugely frustrating to spend hours doing something only to have tor repeat it cos its not "right"

Space wise I'd love to have more working space. I've done all I can to keep the amount of 'other' stuff in the garage to a minimum. Paired it down to tools and parts for the current car being worked on in the garage. Its changed a lot in 7 years... in 2010 you could hardly fit a car in there! (see pics from page 1)

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:01 am

Priming

The paintshop had originally planned a 2 week window to paint the car, so after a week I called in to see how the car was progressing. After the first 5 days progress hadn't been as quick as hoped the painter had someone signed off sick for a week and was short staffed (Its unclear if they went off sick after seeing the state of my car... :w ) In anycase after 5 days the 2 pack epoxy primer I supplied had been applied but there hadn’t' yet been any flatting back. with the primer on there it was amazing how many additional imperfections in the bodywork were revealed. These were present to a greater or lesser extent on most panels (though the doors and bonnet were not really affected) It's hard to tell if they were caused at Reliant or during the rubbing down process from past resprays. I'd known this body shell was bad but sometimes its not until you get some primer on you start to see how much work is needed.

Looks ok from this distance:

Bubbles:

The bubble holes were in addition to problems from past crude rub downs which had caused damage to the swage lines revealed lots of odd pock marks in the gelcoat. There were some low spots caused by me when I Da'd the car back, or scraped the paint off a little too hard but the majority of issues with the body do seem to be historic. On top of those there was further work required to some of the accident repair areas and around the doors / door sills which had never been totally finished since I replaced some of the reinforcing the steel work in 2010.

Over the weekend the painter came in and flatted the primer back and stared filing and faring.

A few days later and I called in again to see how it was going and there was another coat of primer on there:

Swage lines were looking much better, as was the roof and the wings.

Some time was spent improving panel gaps on the doors, I've not really got any pictures that show that stage. Once complete the doors were removed and the area around the door sills and door apertures were ready for priming. The body had also had more priming.

A few days sanding (and yet another primer coat!) later and the surfaces were all looking much better.

Compare these shots of the driver’s side wing / scuttle to see how much its changed:

And this one of the roof.

Here’s a few more overviews. After all this work the multiple repairs have been well concealed, Removing the past layers of paint and primer seems worthwhile as the definition and sharpness of the styling seem to have been restored. It was now ready for a final primer coat, a final look over then we could move on to colour!

I'll leave you all in suspense about the final colour choice...

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:16 am

Nice of them to mask the wheelie bar....

Philip Andrew.

MikeyBikey
RSSOC Member

Post by MikeyBikey » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:07 pm

great stuff. i have done exactly the same and these pics bring back so many recent memories !!!! The result if def worth it

Is we sideways yet...

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:01 am

I lol'ed at the wheelie bar bit as I'd not seen that until you mentioned it...!

I fear anyone banking on Highland Purple will be dissapointed....

reliant-reviver
RSSOC Member

Post by reliant-reviver » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:56 am

That'll fade lovely in a few years!

Sad face no Highland Purple.

Beautiful deep gloss. What colour / paint is it?

Philip Andrew.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:49 am

Looks great - glad it stayed red :D

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

BigBobPilot
RSSOC Member

Post by BigBobPilot » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:55 pm

reliant-reviver wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:56 am
What colour / paint is it?
I'm no paint expert, but it looks like red paint to me RR.

Ben

SS1 CA18DET race car in build
Latest owner of V6 coupe SRE 353G
SSSC Champion 2009, driving "Big Bob"
CSCC "Swinging 60s" race series winner in 2011, 2014 & 2015 (Group 2) sharing a Marcos with Iain Daniels

Joe.
RSSOC Member

Post by Joe. » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:06 pm

reliant-reviver wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:56 am
That'll fade lovely in a few years!

Beautiful deep gloss. What colour / paint is it?
Its a Sikkens colour coat and I think a lechler clearcoat (not sure why the differing brands were used though both have a reputation for good quality) The colour choice came down to the fact that It appears the car has been red for 45 years (ever since it left the factory) as I've now had it 7 years I'm now used to looking for a red car in the car park!

One of my favourite specifications for GTE is highland purple with a black vinyl roof and webasto sunroof. If I'd painted the car purple there would have always been the regret that it did not have the webasto roof and a danger that at some point I'd decide to add one with all of the added cost / hassle that would involve!

In terms of Red I wanted a period looking shade, but for simplicity it made sense to find a modern colour that was a close match to the original rather than get something custom mixed. This should mean that any future retouching should be much simpler. I had a sample I'd chopped out of the door sill back when they were replaced in 2010 and went through a lot of different samples before finding one that was a close match to Reliant’s Mexican Red.

The new Colour is actually a current mini colour Chilli RED 851

Online colour charts are a rubbish way of comparing: but here's a swatch of Mexican Red:

VS Chilli Red:

Theres a list of 1970's relaint paint colours on this Australian website which helps a bit with side by side comparisons.

https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/c ... liant_1970

Here’s a few more pictures, I'm aware that the paint looks slightly different in some shots as my phone struggled with getting the white balance correct in the mix of natural and artificial light.

In terms of the quality of the paintjob I'm aware that the photos do flatter it a little the finish is good rather than concourse but that is reflected in the price.

The clearcoat is very thick which I think helps account for the depth of shine, there have been some issues with clearcoat inclusions in part caused by the need to have it air dry in a busy workshop. The majority of these came out during the wet and dry sanding on the clearcoat. There are a couple of areas that will require further attention / spot repair but generally I'm pleased with the final result. Its still not finished in terms of flatting back and polishing but its exciting to see it at this stage.

The paintshop should hopefully have the doors rehung and more of the polishing done by the middle of next week. With luck I should have the car back home by the end of the week.

efi_sprintgte
RSSOC Member

Post by efi_sprintgte » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:12 pm

Looking great mate

JC

Return to “Project Progress”