Rat Rod (engine runs)

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Re: Rat Rod (slow progress)

Post by AnotherTim » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:21 pm

Ah, thats sounds okay. I thought you were going to say a large metal box full of bricks fell off a shelf and through a wing or something.

I really do need to start learning about fibre glass repairs. The world's our fibre glass oyster.... if only I knew how to work it.

(No help/advice required though... it's a mere click away when I'm ready)

Gillsfan

Re: Rat Rod (Fibreglass repairs done)

Post by Gillsfan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:46 pm

I can tell you are all on the edge of your seats awaiting the fibreglass update. I fear some of you are experiencing a massive repair. What happened twas, I'm planning to replace the cable running from the battery to the starter. I was aware of a crack in the fibre glass near the battery bay. I'm planning to attach the battery lead to the bulkhead, so thought I best repair the crack before I did. Photo of crack

After picking off a previous owners attempt at a repair, it became apparent that the problem needed a larger repair and I elected to reinforce some bits with some metal work.

Whilst I was doing this I noticed 2 more cracks in the battery bay, one where the remote solenoid fits, the bonnet lock area was a mess of failing bodge repairs and 2 further cracks in the area of the washer bottle :w :w :w :w After addressing all these the engine bay looked like this.

I managed to get some painting done this morning waiting for the shopping to arrive.

Well there you go just needs another coat and then refit all the bits which I've taken off for access and I can fit the starter as originally planned :roll:

Steve

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about

1969 SE 5 Manual O/D Rat Rod
RSSOC Jaffa cakes in a minute champion

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Re: Rat Rod (fibreglass repairs done)

Post by AnotherTim » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:03 pm

Looks good. Nice one.

Now I'm worrying about my battery tray and the fact that where my bonnet lock used to be is now like a soft bird's nest of bendy fibres co-operating reluctantly to stay where they are.

SO THANKS A LOT PAL. ANOTHER WORRY TO ADD TO MY LIST.

:D

Gillsfan

Post by Gillsfan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:17 pm

AnotherTim wrote:
SO THANKS A LOT PAL. ANOTHER WORRY TO ADD TO MY LIST.

:D
Happy to help

Steve

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:35 pm

That's a big improvement, well done! :D

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Gillsfan

Re: Rat Rod (1 step forward 2 back)

Post by Gillsfan » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:34 pm

Mixed bag this afternoon. Jims starter motor is off. I'm painting the engine so while the starter was off I thought I'd paint that side of the engine, while cleaning I noticed a weeping core plug :-( ordered new core plugs and move on. Alternator off, thermostat housing off and fuel pump off to allow me to paint. Decided to finally check the timing wheel and it's.... Fibre :-(

I'm almost regretting starting to clean up the engine bay, a couple of weeks ago Rat Rod was running and with a quick tidy up of the interior could have been taken for MOT. Now I seem to have taken half the engine bay apart and found more work to do, oh the joys of classic car ownership.

Steve

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:52 pm

When you say fibre do you mean pure fibre or a two-piece wheel metal disc and a red band of teeth around it?

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:54 pm

(Either way don't despair. It's a day's work to change and very easy - as long as you don't get a succession of old blokes stopping you working to tell you their entire car history... in which case it's a three day job)

Gillsfan

Post by Gillsfan » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:19 pm

AnotherTim wrote:When you say fibre do you mean pure fibre or a two-piece wheel metal disc and a red band of teeth around it?

Twaz hard to tell seemed to be a two piece. I wasn't aware there was a pure fibre wheel. I was looking with a torch, I'm.going to dig out my USB camera thingy out to have a better look.

Steve

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:31 pm

Yeah, really really REALLY old gears are like a giant brownish biscuit. The updated one had a silver metal wheel and an orange/red outer band in some kind of hard nylon stuff. I guess my point was that there's a calculated risk with either, but possibly less of a risk with the later type (prepare for the opening of canned worms).

I drove mine for six months until the sense of fear overcame my reluctance to tackle it .

Gillsfan

Rat Rod (1 step forward 2 back)

Post by Gillsfan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:15 pm

Bit of an update. I'm away November and December, I wanted to make some progress before I went. So I took today off to get so bits done. So since my last ramblings.

Block painted
Alternator refitted
Throttle bracket manufactured and fitted (see photo below)
Refurbished fuel pump fitted
Starter motor fitted and wired ( later type starter wired to do away with remote solenoid)
Wiper motor refitted
New servo hose
New oil breather
Refurbished rocker covers fitted
Carb refitted.
_20171005_165714.JPG
_20171005_165714.JPG (94.24 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
My battery is knackered so it wasn't possible to be completely sure I've wired it up right. But as far as I can tell it's all good.

Steve

Gillsfan

Rat Rod (small update)

Post by Gillsfan » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:11 pm

Hi Guys

I need some more help please. I've just been out tinkering with Rat Rod after finally sorting the bonnet close, which was a bit of a challenge after the fibreglass repairs. I decided to check that the engine would turn over. I converted from remote solenoid starter (broken) to a later type and did away with the remote solenoid at the same time. Now I followed (well I'm pretty sure I did) instructions from you guys regards wiring. At the time I suspected my battery was knackered so wasn't able to check it worked. Well I fitted the battery fresh from the charger and jump leads from my focus (engine running). Turned the key hoping that the engine would turn over. I just got a clunk and nothing else. Could you guys give me some direction to start checking wiring please, don't assume anything will be OK the wiring has been a constant problem due to age and PO bodges.

Steve

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Rat Rod (won't turn over)

Post by Coupe Racing » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:52 pm

Have you a good earth from engine to chassis and are the battery terminals clean and tight

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

MarkHawkins
RSSOC Member

Post by MarkHawkins » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:07 pm

When I had the starter clunk thing on some cars before (5a and Corsair V4) I've found rocking the car in gear or giving the starter a tap can free things off?

Custodian of :

1968 '4b Coupe HBL 725G
1972 '5a M/overdrive ALJ 513K - ALJ 513K
1977 '6a M/overdrive - OPJ 62R

ex 1974 '5a auto - VLN 826M
ex 1985 GTC M/overdrive B205 AMT - number 413
ex 1984/85 SS1 number 0007 (1300)

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:49 am

Coupe Racing wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:52 pm
Have you a good earth from engine to chassis and are the battery terminals clean and tight
To check the earth path, attach a jump lead from battery negative to a good earth point on the engine.

A clunk sounds like a misbehaving starter motor though? When you get the clunk, does the ignition light dim/go out, or stay nice and bright?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Return to “Project Progress”