Wakeup Sully

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

rjudcsx

Wakeup Sully

Post by rjudcsx » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:15 am

On Jim's suggestion , I am consolidating my post's under this topic to aid my thought process [ my idea not Jim ] and to provide a little light releaf to those who may need it . A long long time ago I was a very keen car boy /man .I began by driving Morris pick up trucks around the field and reading Hot Car and MotorSport [come back DSJ ] . Saab two stroke , frogeye , 3000 , TR2 , TR6 , SCIMITAR, Elan , MGB , Gilbern , AM DB4 , XJS TWR , Range Rover overfinch came and went following the ebb and tide of normal life .I hasten to add that this was in the time when you could pick up a bargain that needed some work , and did they need work !! ! ! ,long before a classic car became a companion to a persons entry to a certain set .[don't go down that road Richard .] Anyway , for some reason the Scimitar was my main positive memory , perhaps associated with a positive period in my life [now 64 ]. Following some up's and downs ,I suffer from Bi Polar Disorder , I decided to return . I looked all over for two years for my ideal ; 5a ,White ,Black int ,Man OD ,sound not messed about much , in my price range an honest car with some history . Eventually one came onto my radar in Grimsby ,not that far away deal done . A 1974 5a that had been in the ownership of an enthusiast and then put into storeage I beleve . Unfortunatley my new car was deliverd with a broken gear stick that has preoccupied my first few months [see GEAR STICK POST ] curtesy of a nitwit delivery man . Got a bit down about it but with the help of some good guy's on this site [yes, I'm going to mention you Mark ] pushed thru it and now seeing a bit of light . So , welcome to SUL , sorry for the rambling , you will experience more. .Regards Richard .
20200329_151415.jpg
20200329_151415.jpg (297.68 KiB) Viewed 342 times
20200329_151216.jpg
20200329_151216.jpg (327.95 KiB) Viewed 342 times

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Wakeup Sully

Post by philhoward » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:49 am

It’s nice to see the car we hear about :D

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
SS1 Racer
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

adamwilkes
RSSOC Member

Wakeup Sully

Post by adamwilkes » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:26 am

Great-looking car Richard - thanks for showing it to us :) Does the front suspension have adjustable height (looks slightly up in the photo) ?

Adam Wilkes
Scimitar GTE 5a 1973, kinda Highland Purple; after months of work, still a ruin!
I can't help myself - I have to ask questions and find out why. Why ? Dunno :shock:

rjudcsx

Wakeup Sully

Post by rjudcsx » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:04 am

Hi Adam , it has just come off the jacks as I was changing the gear stick ,it stays like that then settles to a normal ride height ,it has spax adj on it and I wonder if they are set a bit stiff ,coupled with a period of inactivity . Regards Richard .

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Wakeup Sully

Post by scimjim » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:56 am

I would check the trunnions, failing to settle is an indication of a lack of movement there.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

rjudcsx

Wakeup Sully

Post by rjudcsx » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:49 pm

Thanks Jim ,is there a simple way of checking the trunnions other than a strip down ? Regards Richard .

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Wakeup Sully

Post by scimjim » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:02 pm

Either remove split pin, slacken nut and check trunnion bolt will spin, or Disconnect one end of the damper, the ARB and the top balljoint to see if trunnion is seized or stiff.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.

rjudcsx

Wakeup Sully

Post by rjudcsx » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:20 pm

The car has been inactive ,as far as I can tell ,for well over 2 year [other than the occasional start up and move back and forward ] most of my "wake up " jobs appear to be associated with this slumber . Being 64 myself I am aware that regular exercise stops my trunnions getting stiff [at 64 its only my trunnions that get stiff ] . Would people advise a pump thru of the relevant grease nipples with some thing with less viscosity and then leave for a while [giving the front of the car some light movement ] ,then follow up with recommended grease , or am I being a bit lazy ! Regards Richard .

rjudcsx

Wakeup Sully

Post by rjudcsx » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:22 pm

Well , as I have my post open awaiting your kind response to my previous trunnion issue a brief update .I did manage to get the clips off the linkage with the exception of reverse ,the cold and time restraints beat me in the end and rather than struggle on and mess things up I retreated to the warmth [wimp ] . Today I had to go into " work" [ I was POSITIVLEY DISSENGAGED ,HR language for redundancy , 4 years ago from my position as Manager of a Specalist FE College after 30 years :evil: , I go in now on a supportive basis working in my specalist area of Behaviour Mnagement ] so when I came home I spent some time going thru the quite large amount of paper work that came with the car [ MOT's , invoices , service records , a diary from the second owners period , notes and pictures ect ] .I like this kind of thing as it brings to life the history of the car and in a strange way gives it an individual persona . Durring this exercise I came across some pictures of my old 5a KKP 688L , part exchanged in favour of a Gilbern Invader Estate [ silly boy ] and my old Aston db4 PGR 300 [a very very silly boy ] ,so the past and present came together , a reflective pause . Tomorrow in to "work " again as the present situation is having some understandable impact on some of the clients but then four clear days to get stuck in ,weather permitting . Regards Richard .

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Wakeup Sully

Post by scimjim » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:31 pm

The trunnion grease nipple greases the upright thread, not the lower wishbones or trunnion bolt (unless they’ve been modified).

Jim King

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Wakeup Sully

Post by Old and Slow » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:18 pm

Your comment regarding "sitting high" after jacking up until the car has been moved, is my experience too.
Nevertheless, I'd pump grease into every nipple you can see until all the current black stuff oozes out of the rubber boots, especially the trunnions and the upper swivel joints; if you can put the front wheels up on axle stands you should find little or no resistance when turning the steering wheel, or pulling/pushing the wheels.
The horizontal suspension bearings inboard are in resilient bushes, the lower outers are prone to moisture ingress and seize easily, so often have nipples fitted.
Hope this helps.

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

rjudcsx

Wakeup Sully

Post by rjudcsx » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:43 pm

Thankyou all for your input ,as I mentioned I am away from " work " for a few days so will have some time to investigate further . I have managed to take the front seats out when under the car on the gear stick job , both are in fair to good condition , however the driver side has one small split along the stiching , the foam is still good and does not sag so I intend to back patch with some very similar material that came with the car and hope this saves the need for a replacement [read some historical post re this ]. I removed the rear seats base and drained half a pint of water from them , I think the side windows are not sealed adequately even though they appear to have new rubbers post respray , I will do a talc test . I am still awaiting confirmation re the supply of wheel centres /od badge from my fellow club member in Lincs [subtle reminder !] I must thank those others who's offer was much appreciated . Looking at the engine bay the crank case breather tube is not apparent and the carb has the hole blanked ,has anyone fitted a after market breather , resembling a small K N cone , if so any recomendations would be welcome . On a totally separate matter , I remember some years ago [ 30 ish ] going to see a Coupe straight six that I had been told about at a small village between Spilsby and Louth . I remember it was in a stone outbuilding and was totally in pieces , the owner said it was his late fathers and that it had a Raymond Mays head with larger SU's .At the time I had the Gilbern and an Alfa that took time and space up so I never persued it ,just wondering if it did find a home ,you never know it might still be in the outbuilding might go and have a look ; no , finish what you have started . Regards Richard .

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Wakeup Sully

Post by scimjim » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:51 pm

No, go and see if it’s still there - essential travel :D

Jim King

rjudcsx

Wakeup Sully

Post by rjudcsx » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:41 pm

So many missed opportunities Jim ; when I was about 19 a good friend and myself would drive out to a place in Holbeach St John ,way out in the Fens between Boston and Kings Lynn to Mr Wrights "scrap " yard [next to an old airstrip ] .He was in the trade of buying old cars of intrest for spares , however ,once purchased he was reluctant to sell and had grown a collection of Allards , Healeys [and Austin Healey ] ,XK's wanted £800 for two 140 fhc ,Masser 3500 , E types, Ferrari 330 quad h/lamp ,Sunbeam Tiger's ,MG TC ,TF ,A ,B ,C ,DOWNTON C , Bristols 400 405 406, and the most rare Brough Superiour sports made for George Brough himself ; this was the tip of the iceberg . He got to know us and gradually revealed one rusty gem after another , due to job moves I lost contact but my friend told me he had become reclusive next thing I knew many years hence was a report of a discovery of classic cars in Lincs in one of the monthly mags and that it was being auctioned off by the deceased family . Should have borrowed the £800 :roll: .I bet we have all got such a storey in our past Richard .

rjudcsx

Wakeup Sully

Post by rjudcsx » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:39 pm

Good Evening All , what was going to be a free day turned out a bit different [ a voids nature is to be filled ] ; had some bad news about an old friend being in hospital ICU with the virus , retired Psychiatrist who I have known during my working life and since . Put me back a bit , naturally , but then moved onward . Looked at the front suspension and although the car has settled some what started to grease up , found four grease nipples on both sides , two on each side looked to be newer than others ,may be a mod ? Cleaned the seats again prior to small fix and made the mechanism a bit less stiff .PM fellow cub member re spares . Looking at getting some "crack filler" ,Captain Tolley ? Not sure about the wheels , as you can see in pictures they ,I was told , have been stoved may look a little better when I get the wheel centres [another subtle hint ] . Compared to other members who take an engine out and put it back in during a day a bit of a pathetic days work ,I did do some hoovering and washing but donot spread it about . Regards Richard .

Return to “Project Progress”