Roger's Scimitars - MOT Time (SS1)

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Re: Roger's Scimitars - Goodwood Members' Meeting

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:37 pm

Hi Dave, yes thanks, I had seen it (in fact I posted a link in my earlier post above, but it was right at the end, so perhaps easy to overlook). Here's the link to the Yellow Peril's 15 minutes of fame again, for reference: Classic & Sportscar Facebook Link Here

And here is the photo under discussion: (Photocredit - Jonathan Burrows, Classic & Sportscar). I reckon the photo needs more likes! :D :wink: (subtle hint.....)

I should perhaps mention that the guy in the yellow jacket isn't me! :oops: :lol:

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Re: Roger's Scimitars - Tangmere Show

Post by Roger Pennington » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:07 pm

I was at Southern Classics' Tangmere show today - lovely weather, sunshine, cloudless blue skies and very warm, which produced a great turnout. Our thanks to all who attended :D It was held on the old apron of the now disused Tangmere airfield, a place with much interesting history, and home to an excellent museum. Much of the airfield has been returned to agriculture, and is occupied by a field of oil seed rape. After the show this presented an opportunity for some arty shots, matching the yellow fields with the deep red of the mulberry car:

....Roger

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:56 pm

Seems to be the season for MOTs down here today :) I took the Mulberry car in today, and much to my relief it passed :D It did get it's usual advisory warning me of its missing ball ( :shock: ) from the towbar... I leave it off as it looks neater and avoids me walking into it :)

....Roger

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:11 pm

Congrats on the MOT Roger.

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car. VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

AnotherTim

Post by AnotherTim » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:51 pm

Congrats Roger! I had no idea yours was due today.

My local Rover P5b friend texted me earlier today to tell me he'd seen a burgundy colour Scimitar parked up locally. I assumed that must be yours. I now assume it was getting its test!

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:20 pm

Thanks chaps!
"I had no idea yours was due today."
Funny you should say that, Tim, I nearly didn't either! I've had a lot on, and it was really only when the calendar clicked over into June that I suddenly thought "good heavens, it's nearly time for my MOT!" It did seem to be mostly fine, as I'd obviously driven it to Tangmere, and I'd driven it a few times since, but there were a few bits and pieces to do, like all the normal checks of lights, horns, wipers, etc.

One thing I had noticed, was that the brakes seemed to have become more front heavy. This is something I've encountered before, it's often forgotten that the rear brakes on GTEs are completely manual, and if you don't keep them adjusted, then it makes a big difference to the overall feel and balance of the brakes. So over the weekend I adjusted the rear brakes, this considerably improved the footbrake, and reduced the travel on the handbrake.

Then I rang the garage on Monday to get an appointment for yesterday (just before the MOT ran out on Thursday). So it was all a bit last minute! At least it gave me less time to worry, and it's a strange thing, that even after all these years, I still do worry before I take it in :oops:

Your friend must be quite observant, as the MOT bay is a bit hidden away behind the garage :)

....Roger

greeny
RSSOC Member

Post by greeny » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:38 pm

Well done Rodger and mulberry!!!!

Babe the GTC number 229 and and Smurfett the 1400 SST. Ness the vw t4 van/dayvan/camper
Previous 3.0v6 X type jaguar triumph acclaim scimitar SE4A 663 (ex Collin Watson coupe) 2x se5a's 2x SS1 1600s and a load.of other things I can't remember!!!
GTC drivers doing it under canvas since 1981!!
RSSOC SCIMITAR GTC REGISTRAR
Website scimitargtc.co.uk
12601 14846 18/09/12

AnotherTim

Post by AnotherTim » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:15 pm

Roger Pennington wrote:Your friend must be quite observant, as the MOT bay is a bit hidden away behind the garage :)
I'll tell you what he said... "There's a burgundy Scimitar parked opposite Tates on the Old Shoreham Road"

So if that wasn't actually you, then we have another on our patch Roger!

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:04 pm

AnotherTim wrote:
Roger Pennington wrote:Your friend must be quite observant, as the MOT bay is a bit hidden away behind the garage :)
I'll tell you what he said... "There's a burgundy Scimitar parked opposite Tates on the Old Shoreham Road"

So if that wasn't actually you, then we have another on our patch Roger!
No that wasn't me I'm afraid - I went there via a blast down the A27, to get the car nice and hot and blow out any cobwebs prior to the test, then as it was a nice day I came back via a more northerly scenic route :)

So it must be a mystery A. N. Other.....

Actually, on reflection, it might have been Joe who's a bit further west along the coast: see this thread (though his is a lighter colour)

The only other one I can think of at the moment is over Portsmouth way.

....Roger

AnotherTim

Post by AnotherTim » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:08 pm

Oh yes... I just realised I know where you go for your MOT.

That's curious then. He definitely said "Burgundy" and I think he'd have said "Red" if it was that car up there.

Hmmmm... There's a stranger in our midst!

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:19 pm

This thread hasn't had an update for a while! :roll:

Just a quick note to say that, much to my relief, the SS1 passed another MOT yesterday, so it's hopefully all set for continued motoring. Not without a couple of advisories ("monitor and repair if necessary" in modern terminology), these were:

1. "Nearside rear wheel bearing has slight play". Both rear wheel bearings were replaced in 2005 (approx) when I rebuilt the rear suspension, I think I have read elsewhere that they can sometimes "settle" over time (hard to imagine, when they are done up "FT" :shock: ) however it probably needs investigation this year.

2. Especially for Craig, this one - "Oil leak, but not excessive (engine)"! I've had this one before in the past, don't they realise, it's a CVH innit, they all do that, Sir! :lol:

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:38 pm

2. Ford's advanced chassis corrosion system :lol:
Amazing how a mist of oil protects the chassis downwind though 8)

Liked my CVH ss1 to be fair, very drivable and good spread of power albeit not as much as the Ti. Nick Ks addition of a wind-pump does make them extremely rapid, a modern day Rooster conversion 8)

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

Alan SS1

Post by Alan SS1 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:34 pm

Roger Pennington wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:19 pm
This thread hasn't had an update for a while! :roll:
2. Especially for Craig, this one - "Oil leak, but not excessive (engine)"! I've had this one before in the past, don't they realise, it's a CVH innit, they all do that, Sir! :lol:
good job the Regal is MoT exempt then, it really only ever needed a filter change as it seemed like 'total loss' lubrication system, no need for the chassis protection option as it was galvanised !!

SS1 1600 (AJZ ----), Regal 330 (VAV ---), C30 (SK 57 ---)& 480 (EVU ---)

Return to “Project Progress”