The "Mighty" SE6 - New Year, New Plans

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington

demonbluedays

Post by demonbluedays » Thu May 23, 2019 12:49 pm

Ok so nearly another two months have rolled by and Mighty continues to provide excellent service and I'm still smiling almost a year on.

But your not hear to read everything is fine, and I actually have a (hilarious) mishap that happened last week....

Sarinas elder sister was in the car along with her mother and youngest sister, the cap for the reel came free after being knocked (the one with the spring in) and sent said spring flying out, which beamed her right between the eyes :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Naturally being the caring brother in law (well practically brother in law) that I am, I p155ed myself laughing at the incident...until I realised that said reel was now dead and done.

Quick 30 quid spend on Ebay for a replacement (Securon 500/45, same as the unit Terry H fitted before) and the entire seatbelt, reel and receiver arrived this morning. If you have a 6 and with non original front seats like mine you need the "45" length receiver stalk as we know it mounts quite far back compared to other cars.

Anyway that should be fitted out the way tomorrow morning, and there will be a post on here soon with the final "plan" of my direction with Mighty and her renovation from ratrod to tidy example.

Tom "DemonBlueDays" Williams

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

1979 Se6a Manual Overdrive "Link"

Formerly RSSOC #3185 - Must renew eventually....

demonbluedays

Post by demonbluedays » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:30 am

The hose that was nudged by the drive belt finally gave way....

Luckily I was outside the house at the time, a quick replacement and reroute as well as replacement of a sickly looking fuel hose later and cooling system was returned to normal service.

However: I lost use of the electrically operated dials and the cooling fan.

After some head scratching and consultation with Terry the dials were traced to a popped fuse in the engine bay, however as of right now (930am Sunday) the cooling fan is still not kicking in, although thankfully mightys running a lot cooler than before, I'm about to meet with Terry H this morning and go over the modified system with him to see if we can locate the troublesome bugger that's causing the issue.

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

demonbluedays

Post by demonbluedays » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:40 pm

No indicators, or gauges besides speedo, and oil pressure.... and the fan has had to be temporarily wired in with a manual temporary solution, also, I've lost the horn....

Both myself and Terry are stumped...this is confusing us as to why all have suddenly just...given up

Anyone got any ideas?

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:19 pm

Ignition control fuse.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

demonbluedays

Post by demonbluedays » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:33 pm

I'll give it a look Jim, although did replace the fuses (in the fusebox, and inline ones I found) with new ones I had an annoyed state of mind...but an oddity happened on the way back...

Driving back from Terry's help, connected the fan while sat at traffic lights, the dials came back to life, as soon as I diconnected the wire they all fell back to silence, didnt check indicators in my stupidity but I'll go back out once sarina goes to work and check the fuse and its wiring using the blue bible
Last edited by demonbluedays on Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

Terry H
RSSOC Member

Post by Terry H » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:48 pm

Both myself and Terry are stumped...this is confusing
The blind leading the blind here mind gentlemen.
Regards Terry H

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:08 pm

The usual fault with new fuses is that the connection breaks under the caps. Looks perfect but given away by Volts one side but not the other.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

rkclodhopper
RSSOC Member

Post by rkclodhopper » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:53 pm

Bit of a long shot but it could be an earth problem, connecting the fan has provided an alternative route to earth.

Terry H
RSSOC Member

Post by Terry H » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:56 pm

I think the fan is a bit of a red herring here, Just to get the fan running there is a wire direct from the battery + run into the cab with a bare end and another wire with a bare end run from the cab to one side of the fan then one from the other side of the fan to the black wire in the harness under the spare wheel tray, which I assume is earth and was the wire the fan earth was originally connected too. When touching bare wires together the fan gets a live feed from the battery, I would have used a switch but didn't have one.
Regards Terry H

demonbluedays

Post by demonbluedays » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:06 am

After some head scratching, I need some advice regarding relays.

The original is unavailable for me to use as a reference (long story)

I need advice to get one to put in,

Basically it's going to trigger the light on the dashboard when the otter switch trips to run the cooling fan and then when the fan cuts back out, it flicks the light off. I vaguely remember the diagram on the old relay being a parallel looking double switch but at the time I was only half paying attention to it as it was....well...looking a tad scabby....

Now yeah I could make a semi educated winging it guess but I'd rather get advice first to avoid any potentially costly mistakes later on.

Speaking with Terry over how to move forward I *could* just wire it directly to the otter switch, but the relay was originally fitted to prevent any unnecessary load being put onto it, and given how finicky GTE's can sometimes be, my thoughts are reinstate the relay and relocate it to an easier access location.

Ooh and an electronic relay for indicators so I can finally fit the LED ones I've had for about a year. Any particular one I should be on the lookout for?

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:12 am

You don’t need a relay to power a small dash mounted light, just connect it to the fan supply (as the 5a has as standard).

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:27 am

As Jim says, just wire across the fan. No need to get complicated.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

Old and Slow
RSSOC Member

Post by Old and Slow » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:02 pm

The Halfords indicator relays are electronic, but still use relay contacts to switch the indicators on and off (at least they were when I pulled one to bits a couple of years ago).

Philip Needham
Ashley-bodied TR3; '54 Ford Consul; '55 AC 2-Litre Saloon;'65 850 Mini; '70 Ford Zodiac MkIV; XR3i
'81 911SC Targa, '64 Sabre Six

demonbluedays

Post by demonbluedays » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:59 pm

Ok now I'm really struggling to understand a few things with Mighty,

Swapped the ignition control fuse to a known working one, still no dials in the dashboard, had a look at fusebox wiring and all seems ok, looked for earting points but couldn't see any obvious issues with the ones I did find, and my blue bible has been misplaced so that has slowed me down a bit. But touching the wires being used to manually activate the fan, does occasionally spring them back to life for a few moments....

To give a quick run through,

Mights does still start and hold an idle fine

Still no electronic gauge function, however they still light up when the headlamp switch is used and the headlights and taillights function fine. Also all the fascia lights up as it should.

Indicators are non functional, however hazard light switch works and operates as designed externally

No radio whatsoever including the electric aerial

Dashboard warning cluster does still function, even nudges me that I have to fuel up soon.

Interior fans work as I'd expect

Rear Dempster, lights up but doesnt operate

Fog lamps non functional (but I havent used them in a very long while)

Didnt get the expected window today to get down to it and rewire the fan area. However I will take images to better explain where I am and what's going on exactly.

I know it sounds incredibly stupid....BUT....

There are a few bits of electrical wiring on the car that either myself nor Terry have any clue as to their reason or existence, oh and a white plastic rectangular attachment to the passenger wing just in front of the wiper motor is getting really f+£$&ng hot when the ignition Is on, could it be conceivable that any of these could be a culprit in the dead gauges.

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:12 pm

I’ll take the easy one - the white thing by the wiper motor that gets hot is your ballast resistor.

You’ve still got a lack of Ignition Controlled supply so it’s either the fuse (or its holder) or the relay are suspect. Have you tried a meter or a test lamp yet?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Return to “Project Progress”