The "Mighty" SE6 - New Year, New Plans

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

demonbluedays

The "Mighty" SE6 - Internal Recycling

Post by demonbluedays » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:17 pm

Lights restored....

Turns out the "fine looking 15a fuse" wasn't so fine after all. It had blown right at the very edge of one end underneath the metal cap.

Once I'd gone over everything and spoken to Terry, I went through all my materials and decided to go back over everything a second time. Starting with my original suspect of the fuse as it's the only thing according to the blue bible that runs off fuse #6

Took the fuse out, but unlike last time, I swapped it with another.

Came straight on, put the old one back in and nothing. Confused I had a look and found the break as said above. After cursing myself for being stumped by something so simple...I've now decided that I may well upgrade the fusebox sooner rather than later to the blade type included with the car :oops:

Tom "DemonBlueDays" Williams

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

1979 Se6a Manual Overdrive "Link"

Formerly RSSOC #3185 - Must renew eventually....

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:18 am

Is that your only justification for replacing the fuse box ?
Had you used a meter across the fuses to check power supply you would have saved yourself a lot of time and doubt

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

demonbluedays

Post by demonbluedays » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:18 pm

Assuming the one I had was still in a useable condition, which it's not.

But the fusebox replacement was on the list anyway, I'm just bumping it up the list.

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

demonbluedays

Post by demonbluedays » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:11 pm

Now I'm home from work I'll explain that last post more:

My meter showed that everything fusebox wise was fine, when I went to test at the connector I noticed it hadn't reset to zero....

And long story short it never would again, the pcb inside it was basically gone from age.

But while I think of it and I have it for reference:

QRG and GW

Can people give me their experiences of both in terms of "go to QRG for this that and this, and go to GW if you need bits relating to the other"

So I know and can save time later on down the line as I've only dealt with GW so far and it takes longer to sort out my address and postcode as ny road is in Welsh, than it does to order the part and arrange Payment and delivery

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:57 pm

GW and QRG are the Two biggest suppliers for most parts.

BUT if you ask on Scimweb first you may get a bargain off someone who bought a part and has not used it.

I have a large stock of parts such as Gasket sets ( 3lt & 2.8 ) Rear brake shoes SE6a onwards, Handbrake cables, SE5a Clutch cables, rear brake cylinders SE6a, and lots of other stuff.

I honestly can`t remember exactly what i have, such as Overdrive Services fully reconditioned OverDrive boxes for only £350 outright sale, SE5/a New vinyl seat covers, engine parts Etc Etc Etc

Mark

Mark Wilson. See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s,1 & 1/2 GTC`s, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:26 am

You can also buy off my webshop, or give me an email / ring for anything else not listed.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

JoeySully
RSSOC Member

Post by JoeySully » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:37 am

it takes longer to sort out my address and postcode as ny road is in Welsh
I have experienced the same issue with my leprechaun accent. I now just email them the address so they cant screw it up.

JoeySully
RSSOC Member

Post by JoeySully » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:46 am

Its funny how they always hear the credit card number just fine but the address gets screwed up.

demonbluedays

Post by demonbluedays » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:13 am

Oh gawd aye! You may have a visitor in the next couple of weeks if we go to Gloucester Xmas shopping as apparently planned :wink:

Oh and my dad had one of these spare he never told me about...I always wanted to steal his now I have one of my own :mrgreen: it'll be handy for the electrical system right?
s-l300.jpg
s-l300.jpg (111.56 KiB) Viewed 2325 times

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

demonbluedays

Post by demonbluedays » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:25 am

Ok so 2019 and thought it'd be a good idea for me to lay my plans out so I can reference back to them throughout the year and see how far I get from today.

Anyway. The plan:

Originally it was going to be rat look and then go mad with a metallic blue paint and Black interior update in a few years. But that would have meant throwing out a lot of spares I already have.

So....I'm going the other way now...keep as much originality as possible. Wing mirrors are staying as the jag items look and work fantastic. Seats, may swap may keep sort of on the fence as I do have the rear leather in storage, but I'll always um and ahh over that as I'm indecisive on what to do.

Main jobs this year to do.

Timing gear

Carpet

Fit new drivers door

Paintwork

Refurb the alloys

Sort out the little piddly jobs I have listed in my notebook...That I can't find at the moment to note them here (add later when found)

Now doesn't sound like a lot granted, but given that I haven't been able to give mighty much attention beyond checking the fluids and driving her, this could end up taking a while.

As for Mighty herself? Fourth month now of driving her and no problems so far as yet, which is a testament to how well cared for she was with Terry. Always puts a smile on my face taking her out and she's always given smiles by the locals. Looking forward to this year with her and maybe just maybe....another one if SWMBO is actually taking a shine to this one

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

demonbluedays

Post by demonbluedays » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:04 pm

And he makes his first mistake!

Fluid check last week everything was all fine.

Did the same this morning...

I must have nudged the coolant pipe that runs close (and I mean literally just runs less than a quarter inch away) to the alternator drive belt. At some point in the last 7 days the pipe has scagged on the drive belt making one hell of a groove, not all the way through as the cords aren't exposed but it will in the near future need replacing. I knew the gap was tight...But didn't realise how tight until today.

Thinking of a temporary fix as it does run against the spare wheel of removing the spare for now as the tyres an old Centurano on a steel rim. Will that upset Mightys handling all that much? As its not exactly light and does sit right on the nose, not that I'll be doing sprints or anything, more day to day driving.

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

Terry H

Post by Terry H » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:33 pm

That pipe was originally running over the top of the alternator and straight into the overflow bottle, you could get a longer pipe and run over the alternator again securing it with a cable tie. It was one of my temporary fixes and was always meant to be altered.
Regards Terry H

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:30 pm

If it's the overflow bottle hose, then that's an 8mm ID hose. It's not under great pressure, so fuel pipe should probably do the job?

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

demonbluedays

Post by demonbluedays » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:49 am

It's been a while since I last updated, reason being is, Mighty hasn't missed a beat in over 1000 miles, still getting used several times a week to keep her in rude health.

More parts to pickup from Terry H this week including an alarm system (after seeing so many go a wander and someone come up to myself in Newport who knew exactly where she used to be I'm taking no chances)

And just a photo update (because we love them) before the work resumes to get mighty looking smart again later this year.
20190305_124326.jpg
20190305_124326.jpg (270.24 KiB) Viewed 1528 times

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

demonbluedays

Post by demonbluedays » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:59 pm

Whichever smart4753 at reliant decided on the exhaust hanger location and height needs to be shot..../rant

So this week had some delightful colleague take the passenger rear silencer off the hanger with their towbar and left it to the engineering staff to tell me whilst they drove off.

For future reference (as I managed with Terry H's help to refit it back to its usual location) is there an easy foolproof way to do it beyond the sweaty swearing using enough lubricant to launch a battleship and it grudgingly goes on method for the next time I do it?

1976 SE6 #141 "Mighty"

2009 Fox "King"

Former Owner Of

Return to “Project Progress”