Heaven and Hell

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, erikscimitardemon, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward

upstart8s
RSSOC Member

Another recent job through the workshop SE6b

Post by upstart8s » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:48 pm

Roger Pennington wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:14 pm
upstart8s wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:46 pm
the reading on the gauge went rapidly up to 120 and then dropped to a steady 90
just a thought, but have you checked that the gauge actually accurately reflects the engine temp?
Yes, Roger, I bought an infra-red digital gun earlier this year and it seems to confirm temperatures, thanks.

Stu

current...
1977 Reliant Scimitar GTE SE6a (VHI registered) 3000 automatic/pas UUV***S
1991 Mazda Eunos Roadster (import on classic insurance) 1600 automatic/pas J***XAN
2006 Vauxhall Astra Estate 1800 automatic/pas FM***TLO
previous...
1977 SE6a automatic VOH***S
1994 SS1 1600CVH manual B***RWK (#54)

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:12 pm

upstart8s wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:48 pm
Roger Pennington wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:14 pm
upstart8s wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:46 pm
the reading on the gauge went rapidly up to 120 and then dropped to a steady 90
just a thought, but have you checked that the gauge actually accurately reflects the engine temp?
Yes, Roger, I bought an infra-red digital gun earlier this year and it seems to confirm temperatures, thanks.

Stu
Ok, well I would have expected the temp to over-run slightly, before the thermostat opens and it drops back to normal, but going up to 120 sounds a bit too extreme? Mine only go a shade over 100. So I wonder if your thermostat may be a bit sluggish?

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:25 pm

Isn't the Cologne thermostat a bit unconventional (and not exactly tolerant of some aftermarket parts)? Sounds like an airlock could be the cause if that was the first and only time it happened.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:07 pm

If it only happened once, I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe it was a bit gummed up so took a bit longer to free up? It is a special beast with two different seals on it. The bottom seal is very important apparently.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:37 pm

I think things have got a bit mixed up here - I believe Upstart's car (judging by his first post in this thread) is a 6a, so I'll probably split those posts into a new thread? :)

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

upstart8s
RSSOC Member

Post by upstart8s » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:01 pm

Yes, sorry Andy/Phil. My car is a 6a auto with, of course an Essex engine. I am sorry to have hijacked the thread, but my symptoms were identical to those described in this thread. One of my greatest achievements in life has been to bring confusion where none existed before!
Roger,
If you feel it is appropriate to split the threads, that's fine. My original post was "Heaven and Hell" in Introductions on 27th July, if that helps...
Stu

current...
1991 Mazda Eunos Roadster (import on classic insurance) 1600 automatic/pas J***XAN
previous...

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Heaven and Hell

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:25 pm

Hi Stu, no problem, It's all sorted now (i think!) What I've done is to split the posts and merge them into your "Heaven and Hell" post, and make that a project progress thread for the car. So hopefully calm and order is restored to the world! :D

(if Phil or Andy had actually intended their comments to be in Andy's thread instead, let me know and I'll move the individual posts back)

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

upstart8s
RSSOC Member

Heaven and Hell

Post by upstart8s » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:39 am

Thanks Roger, calm and order restored...
Stu

current...
previous...

upstart8s
RSSOC Member

Heaven and Hell

Post by upstart8s » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:02 am

Hi, The Scimitar has been laid-up for the last three months due to having too many cars to choose from. A couple of weeks ago, I decided to take the car to the garage and top it up with some fresh petrol. I was also going to use their pressure cleaner to remove some engine bay grime prior to getting my grease gun into action on the front suspension. I was taking the long way round to warm everything through after being stood for some time when, all of a sudden, I had no brakes to speak of. Fortunately I was on a straight road going uphill when I noticed this. I carefully guided the car home and parked it up. My first thought was that a brake flexible hose had failed due to the cold.I checked around as best I could but wasn't able to see an obvious fault (although I have a slight fluid leak in the area of the power steering reservoir/connections).

The only obvious problem was a lack of brake fluid in the front compartment of the Lockheed brake master cylinder reservoir. With no other problem to be seen, I guessed that the seals in the BMC had failed (again due to cold weather and age). I bought a seal kit from Nigel @ QRG and proceeded to fit that. Nothing is ever that simple is it? Eventually, I bought a new BMC from AJL and fitted that. I tried to bleed the BMC and then flushed the front pipes using a manual vacuum pump.

Whilst the car was blocked up, I tried the brakes and they were improved but still spongy. I took the car off the axle stands with a view to moving it to a better location to bleed the brakes properly. I tried to start the car... nothing, the engine turned over but didn't start. As I said above I was going to put some petrol in but never got there! I have 3 gallon cans but could only find one. Went to the petrol station... no wallet. Went home picked up my wallet, back to the petrol station for my 4.75 litres (minimum sale 5 litres). When I got back to the car I realised I couldn't get to the filler without moving it. When I eventually got round to trying to start it, I found I had flooded it, then the battery went flat! Not a good day. I put the battery on charge and left things to cool down overnight. I will pop round to the local garage later to summon some help.

It is with regret, that I think my next posting will be in the 'for sale' section. I have suffered an unfortunate combination of unfavourable circumstances of late and the purchase of the Scimitar in July last year was made in an attempt to redress that, but has not. Mid February is never a good time to sell a car, especially when that car has been reduced to a set of spares, but I think it is time to clear the decks. I need to give some thought to an asking price. Any suggestions/offers?

Stu

current...
previous...

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Heaven and Hell

Post by scimjim » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:25 am

Impossible to say without pics and description but take your purchase price as a starting point. It’s not a set of spares, it’s a car with a couple of challenges that has had a new battery and BMC fitted in the past 6 months or so. Start high, you can always go down but not up.

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Laters
RSSOC Member

Heaven and Hell

Post by Laters » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:52 am

Stu after the time it took you to find your scimitar its sad to see your last post. :o
I do know how you feel though. :cry:
My scimitar is still sat outside in the garage with no forward progress. :?
I was considering throwing in the towel with my scimitar after it was broken into and parts were stolen. :evil:
It was only outside due to the garage lighting being done. It was supposed to take 3 or 4 days which turned into nearly 3 weeks.

I didn't even realise when it was broken into that anything had been stolen. I just presumed they had damaged both door handles, door frames and gutters so they could have a search inside to se if there was anything to steal.
It was only when I went to put the battery back on to move it into the garage I realised I couldn't as there wasn't a carb or a few other bits anymore.

On the plus side it has meant that we now have improved security at home with a large lockable area in the garden that is surrounded by a high fence along with a set of lock bolts on each garage door plus a alarm if the extra locks are not enough to put them off.

I am rebuilding a carb I got on ebay at the moment for it which has gone slower than expected due to needing to pin the fuel inlet and outlet pipes along with a strange manual choke conversion on the carb (not sure if its a home made conversion).
Then I might be able to start on the problems the seller told me the car didnt have. :roll:

The prices of the cars do seem to be more this year than last year which was bound to happen sooner or later & if you do decide to let it go as Jim has said dont under price yourself.
Better to be haggled down than give it away.

Paul

Previously owned:- 1969 se5 non o/d, 1972 se5a o/d
Currently owned:- 1976 se6 automatic

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Heaven and Hell

Post by AJL Electronics » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:41 pm

Stuart, how about a compromise? Get the car down here (we can arrange it if need be) and I will sort the main issues so that you can use the car again. Otherwise perhaps someone can come to you? There must be plenty of competent Noggin members around where you are.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

upstart8s
RSSOC Member

Heaven and Hell

Post by upstart8s » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:33 am

Thanks for all your support and kind words, I am a bit prone to bouts of depression. OK, let's start again. Firstly, I've organised my workspace a little and found the other 2 petrol cans, which are now replenished and ready to go into the tank when I next move the car. I have had the plugs out and cleaned them ready to go when needed and the battery has been topped-up. I have re-done the bleeding on the brake master cylinder and re-made the connections to the fixed (steel) brake pipes.

Before I finished for the day yesterday, I got down low and shone a torch around underneath but couldn't see any obvious pools of brake fluid on the floor. I will relocate the car over the weekend, to give me better all-round access, and let you know what I find.

stu

current...
previous...

Nigel Clark
RSSOC Member

Heaven and Hell

Post by Nigel Clark » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:03 pm

Hi Stu,

We all have bad days with our cars when things just don't work out. Best to step away for a while before making any irreversible decisions. Bit of reflection, then either get your Scim sorted (you know you will enjoy eventually), or sell up and get rid of the present hassle but maybe regret later.

There's plenty of good advice available here.

Please give yourself a little time.

Just my two penny worth.

Nigel

upstart8s
RSSOC Member

Heaven and Hell

Post by upstart8s » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:22 am

Yes, Nigel, it's often best to just have a break. Yesterday I spun the car around to give me limited access to the back-end. That was my job for the day, but with all this sunshine, I was inspired to get it jacked up ready for when I make a start on the rear brake investigation. After a refreshing cup of tea (and a biscuit or two) I went back and removed the rear passenger-side brake drum, only to find all my missing brake fluid contained therein!

My plan after greasing the front suspension (still not done that yet) was to have a look at the back-end and sort the fuel tank sender (earth check first). I hadn't planned to do it just yet but I guess it's as good a place as any to make a start.

Thanks once again for all the support,

Stu

current...
previous...

Return to “Project Progress”