Ians GTC rebuild. And now with MOT

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:15 am

GTC Ian wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:35 am
I hope so Roger. I have ATF type Q. I am assumimng that is correct for the C3 with a red dipstick. Very confusing when trying to get the correct grade of oil. The main problem being a lot of motor factors just stock dexron grades for later cars.
Red dipstick is Dexron III type. Only fitted to a few later cars. Black dipstick is AQF.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:23 am

That's assuming it isn't a replacement dipstick a PO has fitted because it looks better than the one that was there originally :w

I don't recall Ian's car being a particularly late one (in GTC terms)?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

GTC Ian
RSSOC Member

Post by GTC Ian » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:38 am

Yor are right Phil mine is a 1980 model. I am assuming the gearbox is original as there is no record in the pile of history that came with the car to suggest it has been changed. Maybe it is the wrong oil in there. I dont know what would happen if the oil is incorrect.

White GTC no 91 (Now getting the TLC it justly deserves)
Personal mechanic to Barbara's SS1
Previous SE5a JKG 236N (R.I.P)
Members since 1984

GTC Ian
RSSOC Member

Post by GTC Ian » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:04 am

Roger Pennington wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:20 pm
GTC Ian wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:52 pm
Then slowed right down and the change down was really harsh.
Just a thought but what type of fluid has it got in it?
Went out in the garage last night and checked the oil.....wrong stuff used. As mine has a red dipstick I used DexronII. Should have used ATF 33 (black dipstick). It would appear, as Phil wondered, that the dipstick had been changed at sometime in the past. Looks like a bit work required from underneath.

Members since 1984

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:14 pm

GTC Ian wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:04 am

Went out in the garage last night and checked the oil.....wrong stuff used. As mine has a red dipstick I used DexronII. Should have used ATF 33 (black dipstick). It would appear, as Phil wondered, that the dipstick had been changed at sometime in the past. Looks like a bit work required from underneath.

No, red dipstick is Dexron, so you should be fine if original. Black dipstick is AQF. No way of telling for sure what you have unfortunately. Do you know if the gearbox has been reconditioned? You may find a plate on the bellhousing if so.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:42 pm

I've been searching back through this thread, and on page three I found a photo of the engine and box. I've enlarged a portion and it looks like this:
Dipstick.jpg
Dipstick.jpg (103.38 KiB) Viewed 585 times
Now I've never seen a "red dipstick" car, but is it literally just the dipstick that's red, or the tube as well? If it was just the dipstick that would seem to leave you rather vulnerable to dipstick-swapping?

I asked about the oil, because you said the change was harsh, which is a symptom of using the wrong oil, but I guess it could bee a symptom of other things as well?

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

GTC Ian
RSSOC Member

Post by GTC Ian » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:33 pm

AJL Electronics wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:14 pm
GTC Ian wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:04 am

No, red dipstick is Dexron, so you should be fine if original. Black dipstick is AQF. No way of telling for sure what you have unfortunately. Do you know if the gearbox has been reconditioned? You may find a plate on the bellhousing if so.
So according to the haynes manual for the Mk2 Granada the oil should be Ford specification SQM-2C9010-A, if it has a red dipstick. I cannot see a plate on the bellhousing, but I will get it up on the lift and see if there is anything that might tell if it is reconditioned.
Last edited by GTC Ian on Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Members since 1984

GTC Ian
RSSOC Member

Post by GTC Ian » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:40 pm

Roger Pennington wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:42 pm
I've been searching back through this thread, and on page three I found a photo of the engine and box. I've enlarged a portion and it looks like this:

Dipstick.jpg

Now I've never seen a "red dipstick" car, but is it literally just the dipstick that's red, or the tube as well? If it was just the dipstick that would seem to leave you rather vulnerable to dipstick-swapping?

I asked about the oil, because you said the change was harsh, which is a symptom of using the wrong oil, but I guess it could bee a symptom of other things as well?
Good detective work Roger. I didnt think of looking back.I should have remembered the tube colour as it was scabby so I put red heat shrink over it to smarten it up. The red tube was alway loose when I got the car as it was never fixed to the block, so it could have been loose since 1) the car had its recon engine in 1997 or 2) the gearbox has been removed sometime before I got the car.

Members since 1984

GTC Ian
RSSOC Member

Post by GTC Ian » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:55 am

After sorting out Barbaras SS1 non functioning headlights ( bloody relays) had a look at the C again. Very difficult to start and not ticking over properly so I started to root around the ht leads etc. Then BINGO. Brand new vacuum pipe from the gearbox to the inlet manifold, split. And not just a small split but almost in half . It had also fallen on the exhaust manifold somehow and partially melted on one side. Fitted a new pipe (and re-routed it for the time being ) and now the gearbox is doing what it should be. Think it might be a good opportunity to run the vacuum pipe in stainless with just rubber on the joints. Dexron 2 oil I used seems to be the correct one,so far, but Im not saying too much in case it comes back and bites me.

Members since 1984

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:05 am

I thought it’s a steel pipe (with the pigtail) anyway with small rubber bits to join the ends?

Or should be?

EDIT: I might be thinking of the C3/Essex combination. No mention of it in the 2.8 parts list that I can see.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:37 am

Your right Phil
MY 6b has the 3/16" pipe clipped to the top bolt on the bell housing.
Can`t remember if the GTC still has it, or just a piece of tubing.

Mark Wilson. See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s,1 & 1/2 GTC`s, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

GTC Ian
RSSOC Member

Post by GTC Ian » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:06 pm

There is a metal pipe from the gearbox then it has a rubber tube that goes to the plate below the carb ( a leftover from the old carb? ). I always assumed that it should be rubber. On my 5a it was metal through to the connection to the inlet manifold with a small tube connection

Members since 1984

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:35 pm

philhoward wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:05 am
I thought it’s a steel pipe (with the pigtail) anyway with small rubber bits to join the ends?

Or should be?

EDIT: I might be thinking of the C3/Essex combination. No mention of it in the 2.8 parts list that I can see.
Yes, your description is the C3/Essex arrangement.

In the 2.8 parts list it seems to be on page F3 (manifolds etc) where it shows the vacuum takeoff on the plate (item 12) and the tube (item 26, R-part 92603).

The tube also seems to appear on page G5 (autobox) where it is also item 26 pn 92603 ("tube vacuum, 37 inches long"). Strangely, at this end it also shows item 27, a connecting pipe with two clips, which implies that the vacuum tube is metal at this end? Maybe the part number relates to a part made of a metal and rubber element, (like some of the PAS pipes?). [edit - just spotted Ian's previous note which seems to confirm that?]

The illustrations are not particularly good, and don't show any pigtail? I'm surprised, as that is supposed to be quite important to reduce the risk of petrol being drawn down the pipe and attacking the diaphragm in the vacuum modulator? (I've had that problem on an earlier C3-equipped car)

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

GTC Ian
RSSOC Member

Post by GTC Ian » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:45 pm

Yes I had a pigtail on the 5a. I was going to put one in on the stainless steel pipe when I fit it. Just to be on the safe side.

Members since 1984

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:20 pm

IMG_20191028_163312[1].jpg
IMG_20191028_163312[1].jpg (73.32 KiB) Viewed 314 times
IMG_20191028_163303[1].jpg
IMG_20191028_163303[1].jpg (79.09 KiB) Viewed 314 times

A bit like this one?. :lol:

Mark Wilson. See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s,1 & 1/2 GTC`s, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

Return to “Project Progress”