Grawpy is a galv 1400 SS1 belonging to Sam
. After blowing the engine up on the way back from France 4 or 5 years ago, we fitted an unknown 1600 and 5 speed box. After years of daily commuting it's now using more oil than petrol, the paint is pretty faded, the interior has seen better days, the diff is leaking and the Carlton discs are causing brake judder and were borderline on the MOT.
Options for the engine were:
Rebuild the 1600
Fit another 1600
Fit the 1.8 MX5 engine and box that's waiting for a new home
Fit the 1400 injection CVH that's been waiting for a home for many years.
Eventually we decided on the 1.4i because the MX5 needed a bit too much work that we haven't trialled yet (dash clocks, speedo cable, prop, gearbox mount and electrics. We've only really looked at engine mounts and exhaust so far). The iCVH needs a trigger wheel and the fuel system upgrading to injection (Sabre Ti tank fitted, pipes replaced and electric pump fitted).
DJ changed the diff before Christmas (we had a 3.62 ready for the MX5 option) - a standard 3.92 went in.
I changed the discs last weekend - the old ones were really worn!
The old engine came out quite easily
and after throwing some paint at it and replacing some seals,
the new one went in today
Current: SE5 (8Ball
), 1600 SS1 (G97
), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a
), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: SE6a (Katrina
), 1400EFi SS1 (Grawpy
), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick
), 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3
), TI SS1 (snotty
), 1300 SS1 (Number One
) & Sarah's coupe
.CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS