Se5a Rolling rejuvenation project

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

AnotherTim

Post by AnotherTim » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:18 pm

Notes to self:

Took the car out for an hour's blast today after leaving it sat motionless for a good fortnight plus. Fired right up and drove very well until I eventually turned its nose to, and arrived on, Sainsbury's car park to get some post-holiday provisions.

On the car park, whilst cruising round a corner for a parking spot, I had a brief moment of clutch judder in 1st at low revs.

Then when reversing up at home to drop the shopping off, a little more clutch judder when getting into motion.

No idea how old the clutch is in this thing, but I suspect it might be in need of replacing. It could, of course, be oil leakage from the rear seal or even rocker covers, and it could also be a bit of wetness build-up after sitting for so long (although it occurred after driving for a while, not at the beginning).

Will be taking it out again tomorrow and if I get any more I will be ordering a new clutch kit from Burtonpower and getting it booked in for a clutch swap.

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:02 pm

If the tail shaft seal leaks (I think we have seen evidence of this) then I'd be replacing the gearbox mount first; a slight amount of corrosion build up on the flywheel or clutch might have shown this up as a weak point?

They turn to marshmallow when liberally coated in EP80..

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:05 pm

Yes, I was halfway through typing a note saying the same thing :D

If you *do* decide to buy a clutch, you'll need to get the right one - an off the shelf Ford one probably won't do (at least nnot the thrust bearing....

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:28 pm

This might be one of the rare occasions that a standard Ford 3.0 clutch works as (from memory) it's a type 5 gearbox (no overdrive), as per Capri etc?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:41 pm

You may be right - I couldn't remember which box Tim had so I couldn't be sure.

....Roger

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

AnotherTim

Post by AnotherTim » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:58 pm

My clutch assembly is the standard type Essex to type5.

Thanks for your thoughts. I first need to see if it repeats the trick tomorrow. It was very slight and brief. My car has a habit of throwing up symptoms from time to time and then recovering.

There is a possibility it was merely some unexplainable crankiness caused by sitting for so long and in damp weather.

My gearbox is not leaking any oil... I am fairly certain the previous leak of a few months back was purely a result of overfilling and leaking out somewhere other than the shaft seals (can't remember where off the top of my head but it was higher up at front end driver's side and was rectified).

My gut feel is it might be a worn clutch as I have felt for a few weeks that it is not quite biting as firmly as it did. It feels like it free-revs a very small amount when accelerating. The clutch must be at least ten years old and the owner before the last owner drove it like a moron.

AnotherTim

Post by AnotherTim » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:14 am

Good three hours of aimless driving this morning. There seems to be nowt wrong with the clutch today. I'm of a mind to think it may have actually been the return of the dreaded wheel arch fouling when turning tightly and slowly. That also gave a juddering sensation when it used to happen.

I'll keep my eye on it... it may well have been the very beginning of some transmission disgruntlement, but I'm not going to think about it unless it happens again and I am able to rule out arch fouling.

So the one thing that does concern me a little bit when I'm on a long drive and I can stretch the car's legs a bit is the sense of riding on a rough surface. There is a lot of road feel, and sometimes it's hard to dismiss it all as merely the evidence of uneven road surfaces through hard suspension, what are possibly unsuitable tyres, and a seat that offers no added underbutt cossetting. It has always been a somewhat jagging drive and whilst most of the time I can match up the feedback to visible imperfections int he road surface, there are times when I hit a visually smooth section of road and get the sense the car is more bumpy than it really ought to be.

My far more knowledgeable classic car friend has been on numerous jaunts in the car and feels certain it's merely a hard riding car and not a sign of something amiss, but being a natural born pessimist, I'm leaving the jury out to continue deliberating for now.

The quickest and easiest way to challenge and rule out arch fouling and overly hard tyres contributing to a rough feeling ride (they may well be van tyres, I can't remember off-hand) would be to indulge in one of my long term wants... a new set of my favourite white letter tyres. That could very well assist me in lessening both things and I've always stuck Hercules HP4000s on my old vehicles mainly for the superficial joy of having white letter tyres, but I do really like the way they roll. They may be a pose and they may well not be very good tyres, but I've always found them (coincidentally) to be a very nice tyre. Trouble is... it's a luxury more than a necessity, and I'm on a limited budget, so treating myself to £300's worth of non-essential tyres when I could well be approaching an expensive fix somewhere else seems a little unwise.

It could be more sensible to treat myself to some new suspension parts.

AnotherTim

Post by AnotherTim » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:03 pm

Notesto self on bumper....

Okay well now I'm truly mystified. For the first time in my ownership I've been able to offer up a bumper, provisionally, to my rear end, to try and figure out what's what. Although I've been been lucky enough to slobber over both KevO's and Rebel_Alliance's stunning 5s over the last year it never occurred to me to peer behind their rear bumpers and see what goes on there.

I have a bare outer piece of bumper - which I will be chopping up anyway - but the holes in my car do not match or even align with the holes in the bumper. Different locations, different diameters.

This is not a problem as I can fill in unwanted holes with some chromeheads, but it does leave me a bit perplexed as to how this bumper attaches to this car, and I assume that when properly fitted there must be some kind of bracing bracket behind the chrome piece, and it's that which then attaches to the bolts that go into the back of the car.

Makes sense, but I can't find any pics anywhere of what the back of a rear bumper looks like, or what the bolts are/are doing.

So my plan, stage 1 is:

Measure twice and cut once: the long centre section I need from this bumper.
Drill new holes after I have....
Designed and made some simple, rigid sheet metal hanger brackets that fit inside the bumpers.
Use smaller chromeheads to attach the bumper to the brackets, and have the 1/2" longstuds attaching the brackets to the car.
Use the curved corner sections of the bumper offcuts to make smaller wraparounds that return to the back of the car as opposed to the sides of the car.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:24 pm

Yes, I suspect you're in need of some brackets?

....Roger

AnotherTim

Post by AnotherTim » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:45 pm

ah,item 35 would seem to explain the different size, shape and position of holes. Thanks Roger.

I plan to make something similar, strong enough to hold the weight of my shorter, lighter eventual bumper.

Just tried to doodle up a better impression of it, but it's been a long time since I doodled!

had half a mind to try and get my bumper fitted before Goodwood. I think it's going to take me a lot more time than that to figure this out.

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:30 pm

Look at a pic of a coupe front bumper - it's a 5 rear bumper with the ends chopped off along the lines of what it looks like you're trying to achieve? (Okay, the coupe came first, so technically it's a Ford Consul Capri bumper with the ends chopped off and the 5 bumper is an extended Consul Capri bumper without the ends cut off :D )

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

AnotherTim

Post by AnotherTim » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:41 pm

Hahaha

Yes, it was the front of the coupe that gave me the idea for fashioning a rear bumper for my thoroughly and irreversibly de-bumpered rear end. I'd like to have it return so it's tucked to the bodywork as per that. This though is going to take me longer to figure out and fabricate now I've finally seen one. Given that I'm still only halfway through my lights redesign I doubt I'll be making any further progress with this for a while.

I have had a thought about some kind of barrel bracket behind the bumper skin. Could be as simple as a couple of lengths of scaffold pole painted black. Bumper screws to the barrel brackets using the existing holes, and the barrel sits (and is bolted) on the long rods that screw into the back of the car. I think that could provide enough bracing and strength to keep it all in place but... it might also look a bit ugly when viewed from anywhere other than immediately behind my car!

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:10 pm

I have a non scimitar rear bumper in grp if you want and easier task and less weight

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

AnotherTim

Post by AnotherTim » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:24 pm

Thanks for the offer Coupe'Racing.

Although I'm hacking it to pieces I do like the idea of retaining some Scimitarness to the end result, and as I have this big ol' chunk of metal here I may as well start with that. Also though... part of the reason I'm looking at bumpers is that we have hotly contested end-to-end street parking here and it gets uncomfortaby close sometimes to the extent that some bumper nudging must have happened for cars to get into the spaces they are occupying. I've been very lucky this far. So I really need something that will withstand the insistent nudge of a self-important Hove executive in a BMW-X5. A GRP piece might crack quite quickly whereas a piece of metal can get dinged and deformed and I don't really need to care too much about it.

AnotherTim

Post by AnotherTim » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:44 am

Attempting a hastily improvised slapdashing of my bumper in the vain hope I get it on for my trip to Goodwood this Friday. No real reason other than it's sometimes good to have a deadline.

I've been cobbling brackets out of old bits of sheet metal in order to avoid:

1. Having a ruddy great bolt sticking out of the bumper
2. Having to drill any more holes in the bumper

But it's not working... mainly because I'm making it up as I go along in a hurry and whilst I'm enjoying dabbling, I'm running out of time and metal.

I cannot get 1/2" 20TPI chrome smooth headed bolts or even chrome acorn/dome nuts without going on the internet and ordering them from the US or China and waiting three weeks. I've been everywhere local and nobody has anything with a cosmetically decent/minimal head that would allow me to simply drill new holes and bolt this central bumper section on directly to chrome carriage bolts. I even resorted to sneaking around last night with a gauge and some multi-spanners trying to find some fencing that might yield the opportunist thief a couple of silver-metal 1/2"unf carriage bolts. No such luck.

So I've tried to use the existing holes in the bumper to make two brackets that the 1/2" studs from the body can bolt to, and then I could have some smaller, discrete, bumper bolt style bumper bolts attaching the brackets.

The problem though is all the angles, because without having a properly pressed bracket the nuts all force the brackets to bend when tightened, and this forces the bumper to tilt downwards...

In some ways I quite like the fatter, flatter look of the bumper like this, but it looks awful messy and shabby between the bumper and the car, and also I wont get the end caps on like this. They'd be sticking up in the air like a smiley face, and once cut and shaped for this position, they wouldn't be any good for the proper position later.

So I'm on the verge of just accepting I need to drill two new holes in the bumper, go to Goodwood with ruddy great hex nuts holding it on, and then hunt for some chrome carriage bolts to replace the studs at a later date.

I'm also thinking that with a bit more chrome on the back, I may do what I swore I wouldn't do, and tack on these cheapo chrome bezel surrounds around my lamps until I get around to doing the proper recessed chrome-ringed surrounds I plan for phase 2 of my lights. They look odd here but they're just hanging on to the lamp covers by willpower alone not pressed back into place...

Return to “Project Progress”