Manny's 78 GTE

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

manny
RSSOC Member

Re: Manny's 78 GTE

Post by manny » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:53 pm

MikeT wrote:No wprries matey, there will be other times (I'm on leave all week if you're about, spending most of it in the garage with any luck :) ). Seat runners are worthwhile doing - I've just done my passenger side ones funnily enough, hopefully it will be a big improvement when I fit it back in.

Mike
i'm off for two weeks from next Friday :D :D , will pop down after work next week...will drop you a text before hand...

Scimher

Post by Scimher » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:10 pm

MikeT wrote:No wprries matey, there will be other times (I'm on leave all week if you're about, spending most of it in the garage with any luck :) ). Seat runners are worthwhile doing - I've just done my passenger side ones funnily enough, hopefully it will be a big improvement when I fit it back in.

Mike
..The driver's one particularly, Mike, as it's an MOT failure point now.... :roll:

MikeT
RSSOC Member

Post by MikeT » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:49 am

Good to know Geoff, thanks - luckily the drivers one is pretty good, must be due to it getting the most use.

Mike.

1978 Scimitar SE6a - Project thread

manny
RSSOC Member

Post by manny » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:10 pm

Headlamp relays

I have been planning how\where to add a fuse box and relays for the lights etc, and I eventually settled on the front space next to the wheel, it's just a (working) mock up for now.I used some spare gutter for the mount! And took power from the alternator B+ terminal- again just to test- the wiring will be changed once I am happy.

I have used the offside headlight feed to power both headlamps, as I will be replacing my inner lights with H4 ones And adding another relay fed off the original near side headlamp feed to trigger.

Bl**dy. windy!!!
Last edited by manny on Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

manny
RSSOC Member

Post by manny » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:04 am

OMG!!!!

I gave my fuel tank for repair to a recommended tank repairer ...40 years in the business and all that..after 3 days I went to pick it up and almost fainted...

And then he convinced me it would be ok!!...as the gentleman was senior , I reluctantly said I will give it a try to keep the peace...

So can someone pass me the angle of join to the tank and the longer length of the filler- I believe the filler is 50mm OD, I have pm'd a member as well, but Help!!! I really don't want to put on my boxing gloves -

Slightly annoyed

Manny
Last edited by manny on Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeyBikey

Post by MikeyBikey » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:13 am

:? :? :?

Is we sideways yet...

manny
RSSOC Member

Post by manny » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:16 am

MikeyBikey wrote: : ? :? :?

worth more than three surely!!

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:12 pm

Oh dear! :shock: When he said he was a tank repairer, are you sure he didn't mean these:

Might be worth having a look at this thread?

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

manny
RSSOC Member

Post by manny » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:29 pm

LOL...i did wonder too!..it gets worse.......i paid 70 quid!!!

MikeyBikey

Post by MikeyBikey » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:01 pm

I must admit those moments are heart stoppers.

I asked for a small plate to be machined. I could have made it but i wanted a smooth finish. This old boy was highly recommended, machined two holes and asked me for £180...

I think i had £50 on me expecting £20 and had to drive 10 miles to the cash point - priceless

and I never used it (although not his fault !)

Is we sideways yet...

manny
RSSOC Member

Post by manny » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:08 pm

MikeyBikey wrote:I must admit those moments are heart stoppers.

I asked for a small plate to be machined. I could have made it but i wanted a smooth finish. This old boy was highly recommended, machined two holes and asked me for £180...

I think i had £50 on me expecting £20 and had to drive 10 miles to the cash point - priceless

and I never used it (although not his fault !)

yep happens to me a lot!!...it must be our 'sucker' faces!...i may get another second hand one now and inisit he repairs it FOC if i cant get the measurements for the filler neck portion.... anyway i've started practising on my jab and hook!

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:23 pm

Depending on what happens on the price on the ebay stainless one in the link, it would be well worth bearing in mind as it would be a fit & forget solution :) (and it's NTDWM incidentally) :)

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

manny
RSSOC Member

Post by manny » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:10 am

just for info: the ebay seller of the SS tank measured the angle of the filler as 140 degree inclination and the short length as 60 mm.....what a nice fella!!....

manny
RSSOC Member

Post by manny » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:45 pm

yeah !! finally got my tank sorted...so excited ... Image
..after paying an additional ten pounds...i went to put it back on .....and failed to notice the return pipe (repaired) was an inch too long...and it snapped on the axle stabiliser!!!! arrrrggggggh!!!! so will need to take it back!!! my fault for failing to notice the length......

i also cleaned my heater box ...which was rather rusty, will use some oil based paint once sanded and primed...considering how bad it was inside...it has not come out too bad... :)

there a few hard to reach areas that despite drinking the recommended tipple...still could be not be reached...but this result is after a week in vinegar and 30 mins of hand wire brushing..
Last edited by manny on Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

manny
RSSOC Member

Post by manny » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:57 pm

rear seats:

as many of you will identify with...the interior was always damp\leaking ...so i decided to remove the rear seats and most of the rear carpet\soundproofing

...i have never carried passengers in the rear as the seat belt chassis straps have long departed and need replacing ( 3 point belts perhaps?)... not too sure how i will remove the actual bolts...i may be able to get a cutting disc at them..

Image...

i assume replacing with stanless steel would be ideal..but not sure of the load\strength differences..i do recall seeing a post discussing such so will reinvestigate ...

the rear soundproofing was completely soaked !!--i was able to determine that both rear side windows were letting in water at the upper rear corners- but not the original source of course!
Are there any preferred non water absorbing sound proofing mats?..or can some one high five the idea of using bitumen based flashing ?

Return to “Project Progress”