GTC Project & 3.5lt conversion

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

Corky
RSSOC Member

GTC Project & 3.5lt conversion

Post by Corky » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:40 pm

I know that I'm probably about 2 months late posting this, but I'm sure there may be some stuff coming along in the next few posts that may be of use to someone.

I bought the GTC a few years ago for a very reasonable sum unseen. When the car arrived I understood why I paid the price I did......

Most of the small improvements to get the car working properly and presentable are listed on my website. This thread is to cover the work I've done and am doing this year.

The plan is/was to carry out a full refurbishment of the bodywork, suspension, engine and drivetrain.

The project kicked off in February. I got the green light from the finance committee to have the car professionally resprayed. To keep the costs down I decided to do all the peripheral work myself. This included dismantling the car and refurbing all the bits that were to go back on it.

Looking at the first picture you may be asking why, but I can assure you that the paint was very badly cracked and blistered, with the worst bits covered by the vinyl stripes.

This is the starting point. (To get rid of those bloody stripes..) :roll:

Bumpers off

Interior out

Doors off, glass out, boot off, bonnet off

Stripped back to fibreglass, filled sanded, sanded, sanded, sanded, did I mention it needed sanding, sanded, sanded again and then primed.

Most of the car painted. Just the door frames and B posts to do.
Last edited by Corky on Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car, Honda S2000, VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:56 pm

Whilst the car was being painted, I cracked on with sorting the bumpers, lights, door handles, locks, fuel cap, door mirrors, door seals, windscreen seal, boot seal, sill plates, decals, front light bezels, grill, top window channels, winscreen wiper arms, chrome wiper retaining nuts, washer jets, electric aerial, boot lock, hood velcro plates and any other bits I'd taken off. And also sourcing new nuts, bolts and other fixings to fix it all back together again.

The bumpers were an absolute nightmare. The front bumper actually split into two pieces and had to be held together with clamps whilst I got it stuck back together with fibreglass matting and fibreglass paste. This was then rubbed down and finished off with a fine flexible filler, etch primed and painted. The rubber was stuck back on with Tiger Seal and the trim plates were polished up with G3. The trim plates will be removed and chrome plated next winter as they now let the car down IMO.

The hardest part of all was getting the bottom edge of the chin spoiler straight.

I added another 6 coats of paint after the photos above were taken

Steve
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:07 pm

The rear lights were refurbished by removing the lenses and sticking them in the dishwasher (Thanks Erik for that tip !). The metal parts were spray painted and new gaskets were fabricated.

Lights looking good now

Steve

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:12 pm

At the front end I repainted the headlight bezels and sourced a brand new front grill. I also bought new indicator units from GW, and headlamps and bowls from SVC.

Steve

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:18 pm

As per my posts in other forum areas I replaced the door handles with brand new ones for a Range Rover Classic.

The door mirrors are good 2nd hand ones from a Jaguar XJS.

This is pretty much where I'm up to with the car now. It's fully back together and ready for the engine and suspension upgrades.

Steve

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:25 pm

The next job on the list is to take this engine from my 6B and install it in the GTC.

The engine was a standard 2.8 cologne but has been uprated by http://www.cologneengines.com/ford%20co ... ersion.htm

It has been stroked to 3.5 lts, has big valve track day unleaded heads and a performance camshaft. It's as smooth and silk and gives effortless performance. I can't wait......................

Steve

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:16 pm

It looks great Steve! 8) . Just be careful of the paint when you're swinging the engine about! :shock:
Hope to see it "in the flesh" later in the year.

cheers,

....Roger

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:00 pm

[quote="Just be careful of the paint when you're swinging the engine about! [/quote]

Thanks Roger, thats one of the reasons that I've asked Dave Mac to do it. Also the engine from the GTC is going into the 6b so it's a double swap job and I don't have the time at present.

I hope to take it to Curb' but I may be away that weekend.

Steve

Steve

Ian
RSSOC Member

Post by Ian » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:41 pm

Great Job!

I'm in the process of stripping my 5a back to fibreglass at the moment. Originally beige, then bright yellow, then bright blue then white which has cracked and flaked all over the place. I started in January and only just about to start sanding and filling (.....and sanding and sanding.....).

Your post has given me new enthusiasm :lol:

Ian
ScimitarWeb WebMaster
RSSOC 453
1974 SE5a manual and 1985 SS1 1600
If you know what you are doing... you aren't learning anything!

Gelcoat

Post by Gelcoat » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:30 pm

Very nice mate ,lot of graft and well worth the result .Repair works spot on :wink:

1983 6B
"Looks like im walking to Curbs, then the wife said she"d come with me ......ooo the pain....

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:45 pm

Thanks for the positive comments guys.

I'm thinking about the engine swap at the moment and have been considering swapping the 38DGMS for 40DFAV or similar ?

Can anyone suggest another bolt on replacement carb ? Holley ?

As the 3.5 engine is essentially a stroked 2.8, the standard capri injection system would be the obvious choice, however I'm told that high under bonnet temperatures in the Scim' lead to fuel vaporisation problems with that system.
The alternative is an electronic fuel injection system, but I know absolutely nothing about the electronics side of things. If I could buy a bolt on kit with instructions for fuel injection numptys I may be in with a chance.... Could I fit the system from a 2.9i or 2.8 efi ?

Having said that, I do like the simplicity of carbs.

Cheers

Steve

Steve

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:29 pm

I think Paul T (Orange5) runs a Weber/Holley on his racer?

I don't believe that the Scimitar underbonnet temperatures are a problem for an injection system (several people are running injection now) - the Cologne set up would be a bolt on job but you'd have to adjust the fuelling.

I'm not sure if the 2.9i ("American Cologne") injection would fit - I know the exhaust is totally different (3 port) but I'm not sure about the intake?

What's the motivation for swapping the existing carb?

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:38 am

Jim, it all stems from a conversation I had with Dave Mac. He's doing the engine swap for me. He said he thinks that my 3.5 should really be running a 40DFAV or similar to get more out of it. This was also mentioned by the guy who had the engine installed in the 6b, he said it was under-carbed and had thought of sticking a Holley on it.
As for the fuel injection, Dave told me he had spent hours trying to get the mechanical fuel injection system from a Capri to work in a Scimitar. This he blamed on the higher under bonnet temps and fuel vaporisation. He's not the first person to tell me this either. He did say that the later EFi version found on the very late 2.8 and the 2.9i's will work a treat. I'm assuming that this is because they dont have the long exposed fuel pipes from the fuel distributor like the original 2.8i, which is where I understand the problem arises.
The intake manifolds on the 2.8/2.9 do differ slightly in bolt pattern (1 bolt IIRC), but I was told that they are interchangeable with a little modification. It was mentioned that there is a Scim owner somewhere who runs a 2.9 with a carb setup using a 2.8 manifold..
And the motivation for fuel injection is the 241BHP recorded on the dyno when this engine was fuel injected in a Capri. Need I say more........?
Cheers

Steve

Steve

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:24 am

Anything is possible Steve - just a question of cash (as always). I guess the stock EEC-IV (2.8 EFi Granada) could be remapped but once you decide to go EFI, then it could probably be just as easy to go an aftermarket route (be it Emerald, Megasquirt, etc, etc), but just using the Ford hardware. The car would probably run on stock injection although you would be very lucky to get the best from it "as is". I can't really see any advantage in using the mechanical injection system (apart from the manifold bolting straight on).

I've seen a 2.9 on a carb - think the 38DGAS was used instead of the Pierberg - and i doubt you'd hit anywhere near 241bhp on a twin choke carb! The Weber 500/Holley/Edelbrock/whatever is is would do fine - and if you refrain from full throttle they can be quite economical i gather.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

erikscimitardemon
RSSOC Member

Post by erikscimitardemon » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:40 am

Looking good Steve!
Wish I had a 3.5ltr for my GTC 8)

Erik Hofman
http://www.scimitar.demon.nl

Scimitarweb Webteam / Forum Administrator

Return to “Project Progress”