At last! I have my SE5 back!

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

Akuchanny
RSSOC Member

At last! I have my SE5 back!

Post by Akuchanny » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:51 am

I am awesomely happy today, im not sure if anyone remebers the issues i was having with a garage over repairs and massivley excessive storage cost of my SE5, but after a hard long day today starting at 6am and finishing now, braving snow, and talking two good friends into helping me recover the car, I have picked my long ago crash damaged SE5 from a very argumentative, but finally semi reasonable garage, although still in a un-repaired state, and looking quite falorn, needing new tyres and a fair amount of recommissioning.

I'm planning on patching it's now swiss cheese front bodywork and straighting out the wheel arch damage up as best I can, getting it running, and replace the knackered parts, and then depending if the insurance company wrote it off or not get it inspected then a MOT, slap on a free tax disk and insure, and be back behind the wheel of my car after so long away from it.

Now I'm on the hunt for a pile of parts, and will no doubt have a list up once I've got it all straight in my head.

Andrew Kuchanny - 2530
London
71' SE5
61' Morris Minor

Scimher

Re: At last! I have my SE5 back!

Post by Scimher » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:17 am

I do remember, Andy & that's brilliant news - well done...!!!!

erikscimitardemon
RSSOC Member

Post by erikscimitardemon » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:28 am

Good one!

Hope you'll get the car the way you want it to be.

Erik Hofman
http://www.scimitar.demon.nl

Scimitarweb Webteam / Forum Administrator

MikeyBikey
RSSOC Member

Post by MikeyBikey » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:31 am

Great stuff

Is we sideways yet...

cookieboy
RSSOC Member

Post by cookieboy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:44 am

thats great news andy .well done .

I am a glorified binman .washroom service operative !

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:53 pm

Excellent, well done! Good luck with the rebuild :D

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

soupdragon

Post by soupdragon » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:55 pm

Body parts offered....

VW MK3 Golf Estate
No Club car at he mo :-(

Gemini Bob
RIP

Post by Gemini Bob » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:15 pm

At last Andy, well done :D

Regards
Bob
HUE 1979 SE6a GTE Auto
If the cap fits wear it.
If at first you don't succeed, pay someone who knows what they are doing.
Scimitars Biggest Fan
Resto viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3377 Just for Geoff ;-)

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:03 pm

Good luck Andy.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

Gelcoat

Post by Gelcoat » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:08 pm

Excellent ,enjoy

1983 6B
"Looks like im walking to Curbs, then the wife said she"d come with me ......ooo the pain....

swoakes
RSSOC Member

Post by swoakes » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:09 pm

Good luck

Steve Oakes
SS1 DET Sprint Car

Former cars
SS1 DET Turbo sprint Project
Sabre Ti
SS1 Ti
1971 Yellow 5a
1985 SS1 1600
1978 Green/Silver 6a

"Fail to prepare and you are preparing to fail."
Benjamin Franklin

Akuchanny
RSSOC Member

Post by Akuchanny » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:16 am

Hey guys thanks! Hoping once the frost and snow is gone I can start looking into what's gone missing, and what needs replacing. Luckily it looks like only body work damage, the chasis looks untouched. Although the nose has been bent in some more and now the bonnet will only catch on its safety and not fully close.

The plan is to get it repaired best as I can, so I can get it mot'd and vic tested ASAP, (was cat c'd by the insurers) I will worry about beautifying and improving once ive got the car back on the road. First time I've attempted such a large non mechanical job, so a little nervous, but at the same time looking forward to it, although there are bound to be a few pleas for help/info when I get going. Will try to take photos as I go, may even treat myself to some more new seats, as the ones I has made arn't quite right, the company didn't factor on the angle of the scimitar floor, and thought it was flat, so you end up with a very laid back driving style, far too laid back in fact.

I will get a parts list up once I've been through the car. Just hope the winter and snow ice hasnt done too much damage to the nose were its broken up. It looks like its going to be a big jigsaw puzzle in places.

Also have a write up for a break/clutch fluid sensor and a coolant level sensor to sort out, just fitted the mod to my moggy and am so happy it will be added to the se5. Pm me if interested before I sort it for the scimitar, and I will send over the minor owners club article I wrote up last month.

Andrew Kuchanny - 2530
London
71' SE5
61' Morris Minor

Coco La Blanc

Post by Coco La Blanc » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:43 am

Andrew,
It took me 18months to get my SE5a back from the so-called 'Hot-Rod' garage who were supposed to be respraying it after some rear light modifications and me finishing rubbing it down to Gelcoat on his premises BUT, as I can only assume his poor workrate had left him short of cash, he suddenly decided (with no prior agreement) that I owed him £1900 storage. I took him to Court and eventually got a Court Order for him to allow me to recover my car from his premises within two weeks without paying him a penny. The Bathplug did keep the £300 worth of rear lights that I had bought and taken to his premises and the £480 paid to him for Paint but he did have to reimburse the full amount of money I had laid out paying for a 3,500Kg Two poster lift - this was supposed to be used when I required it and he could use it for his business BUT in reality it was made impossible for me to use it at all. You therefore have my full sympathy as there are at least two very dodgy characters promising but not producing the goods !
I have a large number of parts available should you require bit for the rebuild.
Regards,
Viv

Akuchanny
RSSOC Member

Post by Akuchanny » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:05 pm

Hey viv. Fully understand the pain. Thanks for the parts off. I will great fully take you up on any bits that will help.
Let me know if there is anything I can do for you!

Thanks again really appreciate the support.

Andrew Kuchanny - 2530
London
71' SE5
61' Morris Minor

Akuchanny
RSSOC Member

Post by Akuchanny » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:05 pm

Well thought I would update you all, had some fair weather today so after a bout of apathy decided to have a check of the SE5 today.

A few parts have been 'Liberated" by the garage so they are now on the buy list, nothing major, just irritating little things like the fan heater switch, just glad i filled with water first not antifreeze. a few badges, and other shiny bits went walkies too, but nothing too bad at this point.

I took out the spare wheel and had a look at the metal work under it, the front box of parts pretty much needs replacing, and the front bumper support / iron. Everything else looks good, so much happier than i thought I would be. (If anyone knows where I can get these bits let me know) the drivers side metal plate and bumper section where it bolts are refusing to part company, and has buckled around the stainless coolant pipe, so that may be a challenge to get out. Gave up today and will come back to that, maybe with a grinder, when I borrow one.

The body's nose is worse than i expected, will need a bit of work to get it in one piece again, but as the goal at the moment is practicality and getting the car back on the road and not beauty, then hopefully it wont be too long winded. I am planing on using bendable alloy strips pop riveted to the outside as a guide and glassing the parts, and building the missing parts from the inside, then filling and sanding the outside. I know its going to be painful but hopefully not too painful. Im just worried about the state it will be in once the bumper support is out of the car. may have to think that one through.

Finally I tried to start it. I borrowed the Moggy Minor battery, checked the oil level, and as the car was in fantastic mechanical shape before the accident and the long wait to get back, I thought I would try as it was. Took some persuasion, but it fired up and sounded great, a huge relief! Although the fuel line to the cab has a pin hole, so will need replacing, as the engine top had fuel collecting in it , I will also fit a fuel filter as well just to stop any old nasties racing up from the tank. Was very happy overall, I think it just need some regular running and it will be fine.

Down side is the wolf race slot mage i had to one side, where not as in great condition as I had hoped, and the tyres had seen better days, so I will have to budget for new tyres, also I managed to break on of the revolution spacers, as I left it on when putting the wolfies on. Not great, but new spacers ordered, as I think until I can get them reconditioned they revolutions will be staying on.

on a down side have to move again, so Now have to juggle a minor engine rebuild that is in its last stages, the scimitar rebuild and moving by the end of the month. Not great! Will try to get some pics up later.

If anyone nearby (I'm currently in Hatfield living in the grounds of Hatfield house.) would be interested in lending an hand or moral support your more than welcome, Im happy to throw as many hot beverages and food at you as possible and a pledge to do the same for you if you should ever need it.

I will write up a full parts list too, so if anyone has anything they don't need please let me know.

Andrew Kuchanny - 2530
London
71' SE5
61' Morris Minor

Return to “Project Progress”