1973 Se5a - Pic heavy, just as it should be!

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

MightyMite

1973 Se5a - Pic heavy, just as it should be!

Post by MightyMite » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:45 pm

Maybe my project progress would be better suited in this section of the forum rather than in a thread I started asking about how to get the body shell off :lol:

I'm Adam, live in South Wales, 20 years old and heres what I'm up to at the moment...

Id been casually browsing ebay and this site for about a day before I found this car in the Classifieds section of the site. Not to sure why I was looking, with no money it wasn't as if I could get a road going one! But... Free to a good home read the advert! Bargain! But the seller/donater/giver? was pretty sure that as it had been standing for 4 years it would only really be good for spares. Being only 25 miles away I rung up and arranged to go see it the next day.

At the time I didn't know the differences between the Scimitars nor really which one Id prefer. Luckily for me this is an Se5a with an over drive box, not quite tax excempt but other than that its the ideal Scim for me!

This is what I went to see

My initial thought was "Bloody hell! Good clean and a polish and this thing is done!" Had to keep reminding myself that a fibreglass body wouldnt reflect the state of the chassis!

I decided I'd have the car, feeling pretty confident that even if it was beyond saving I could atleast make my money back from selling the bits off it. Got it picked up the following weekend and gave it a good jet wash.

Cleaned up alright I think, needs paint but looks 10 times better than it did!

Engine had fresh oil in it and took a pint of water to bring it up to level, put a fresh battery on it, fuel line from the pump in to a jerry can of fuel, cleaned up the points and cap and it started! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss3i1_pmtTw What a noise!

Amazingly the car still had brakes! It has braided flexis and must of had new lines not to long before it came off the road. The clutch seals were shot though. Orderd some new seals and before long I managed to drive the car around the block! Its first drive in 4 years! The next day I drove the car in to work to get a 'good look' of the underside of it. Fuel tank was holed, some of the metal work surrounding the tank had fair amounts of rust on it and I noticed one of the out riggers needed a patch about 4 inches long.

Drove the car back home and put it on the driveway and begun cutting out the old metal ready to put the new in... That is when I realised a 'good look' isn't the best way to determine how rusty a car is! It needs a good prod!

Once seen how much welding was really needed I decided to take the body shell off. Me and my mate Richard took a few evenings to remove the bolts that hold the shell to the chassis then a few weeks back we got down to the heavy work

Roll over bar mounts

:roll:

Using Mick's advice we put a scaffolding bar under the front inner arch section and attatched it to our trusty engine hoist, £109 off Ebay, bargain!

Then begin lifting!

Few hoses/earth straps still connected :oops:

Then with help of a larger mate and using another of Micks ideas of fitting a long bar through the rear inner arch sections we lifted the shell off.

:D

Luckily for me my parents were on holiday at the time :)

With the shell off the rust could be seen clearly

Not to be put off I orderd new Out riggers from Graham Walker and begun welding. The plan is to cut the back end of the chassis off as a whole and weld on a better one and to replace the out riggers with new. Smaller holes were ground back and patched.

Whilst waiting for the out riggers to be delivered we removed the front and rear suspension and the engine and box.

With the new out riggers here welding continued.

And with the parents home, the drive was a tad tidier :D

Thats where work is up to at the moment. Hopefully Saturday will be nice so I can finish off the other out rigger. But if it isn't I have £215 worth of poly bushes to be fitting :D Updates to come

Tony Jones

Post by Tony Jones » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:59 pm

That's some project you've undertaken mate, not for the feint hearted 8)

You've done some great work there, looking forward to seeing it up and running and you getting the enjoyment of driving it mate 8)

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:09 pm

Any luck with finding a rear half chassis yet?

Your best friend in removing the old bushes will be a blowtorch..followed by Mr Hacksaw and Mr Chisel - unless you're good with a die grinder! Don't forget that the rear trailing arm bushes originally have an inner and outer sleeve - and fitting poly bushes involves a certain leap of faith, as well as lots of lubricant (ooh err!)

Is that your FWD in the background I see?

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

MightyMite

Post by MightyMite » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:55 pm

Its a big project but fairly simple :)

Yes Phil I've found a chassis section off a guy in Southampton, hes also sorting me out with a fuel tank and front bumper cross member etc. Just need to find a way of getting down there, looks like I'm going to have to fit a tow car to my 1300 and tow a small trailor down there :)

And yes that is my 1300 front wheel drive you can see, classic cheapness at its best :D

MightyMite

Post by MightyMite » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:06 pm

Both out riggers now done :D

greenmeanie
RSSOC Member

rear sectiom

Post by greenmeanie » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:53 am

Hi Adam you have done well so far but just a observation the rear end does not look quite right from the photo the side rail section should line up with the rear tube section. Did you cut the outriggers down to size as they always come longer then they are as do the side rails.
Regards Mick J

MightyMite

Post by MightyMite » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:30 pm

Good eyes Mick :)

The rear tube sections have seat belt anchorage points beside the axle mounting points. Both sides had considerable rust. So we cut the old bits out and replaced them with very thick steel L sections I had lying about. All dimensions are accurate to within a few mm :D

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Any use?

Post by AJL Electronics » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:49 pm

I have an SE5a bonnet in that colour (cat vomit yellow?) just lurking, taking up space. If you want it, you are welcome if you can collect from Gloucester sometime in the future.

MightyMite

Post by MightyMite » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:01 pm

Thank you for that offer un named man :D

I travel up that way fairly often. Will drop you a PM when I know when I'm in the area.

Will have to try out a matt black bonnet :oops: Well its looked good on my Dolomite!

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:06 pm

MightyMite wrote:Thank you for that offer un named man :D
You have a point!

I am Andy Luckman in Gloucester. I got into SS1s thanks to Craig who sold me his heap. :-)

Since then I have had a newer one which is my daily driver (pictured), a white 1600 that went to Belgium and just bought the "Malvern SST".

I run a satellite and aerial business which is where the username comes from.

MightyMite

Post by MightyMite » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:30 pm

Well hello Andy. Hows this for a deal? I'll take that bonnet out of your way ONLY if I can get a quick ride in that SST :lol:

Gelcoat

Body off

Post by Gelcoat » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:06 am

:D Mightymite excellent pictures look forward to next lot and progress :D

1983 6B
"Looks like im walking to Curbs, then the wife said she"d come with me ......ooo the pain....

CNHSS1
RSSOC Member

Post by CNHSS1 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:00 am

yes Andy that was a mistake, i should have kept it :roll:

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:00 pm

CNHSS1 wrote:yes Andy that was a mistake, i should have kept it :roll:
Well you will be distreesed to hear that it has been under SORN for the last year and a bit. I sold it to one of my employees who fell in love with it and then took it off the road. He still hasn't finished paying for it either! I suggested that perhaps he should sell it on, but that fell on deaf ears for some reason!

Should it come up for sale I will let you know first.

MightyMite

Post by MightyMite » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:48 pm

Picking up my rear chassis section, fuel tank, front bumper support, radiator and fan shrouds this weekend :D

Return to “Project Progress”