Time for an update now I've actually had a chance to thrash this thing.
1st Time out. Friday test day at Curbs :-
It goes like stink
Was easier to drive than I was expecting, but does require concentration.
The Wilwood brakes (without servo) are fantastic and inspire real confidence and give great feel through the pedal. OK I was wrong to doubt it
Lap times started to tumble as I was getting used to it.
The gears were crunching a bit on the upshift up as well as downshift. It took me a while to realise that the problem was that the revs weren't dropping as quickly as I expected. It didn't want go up to 3rd with around 6000rpm on the go (unsurprisingly). I got round this by being a little lighter on the throttle, but it was pretty tricky to do.
Finished the day by boiling it over. I think it'd had enough of my ham fisted efforts for one day
2nd Time out. Saturday morning test.
Discovered that the fuel pressure regulator had snapped its bracket and was swinging around the engine bay. Some artistic use of a dozen cable ties got it secure again.
Topped up the coolant and ran it up to temp. All OK, no sign of a boil up.
Decided to remove the overboost (dropping off a few horses, no idea how many but possibly 30 or 40 ?). This was to try and remove some of the excess turbo pressure that was keeping the revs up on the upchange.
My little turbo mod did the trick and the car was easier to drive. I was about a 1.5 seconds faster than the previous day as I could go a little smoother.
By 11:30, I felt I'd done enough and it was time to try and fix the fuel pressure regulator with a more substantial bodge.
Went to my favourite motor factors "Wickes" and bought some little brackets. Returned to the car and fashioned a little cradle/bracket to hold the regulator in place. This worked a treat and is still good !
3rd Time out. Curbs Sprint.
1st Practice lap, nice and steady. The car felt good
Just before 2nd practice Nick Keyser noticed I had a puncture on the rear right
Panic sets in and Nick very kindly lends me a couple of wheels with the same tyre type on them
Lots of messing about ensues, and I end up putting my fronts on the rear and Nicks tyres on the front (It was the only way with the mixture of offsets and spacers I had)
Finally get the wheels on having missed my practice slot and I line up with the expensive Fiats, only to hear a big clang so I return to the paddock
Torque setting on the wheels checked again, and clang put down to the suspension settling down again after having the car jacked up
Finally got out again at the back of the batch of Ferraris and put in a half decent lap IRO 71 secs.
Did my 3 timed runs, and all seemed to go well. Though the car had started to oversteer as Nicks tyres (on the front) were in far better condition than mine (on the back)
So what do I need to do to it now :-
1/ I think I'm going to investigate having a dump valve fitted as the excess pressure is keeping the revs too high for too long. With this sorted I'll put the overboost back on. Any advice on dump valves/types/fitting instructions etc. are welcome. It's not something I've fitted before.
2/ The puncture has forced my hand a bit, so on the advice of many compies I'm going to try some Kumho soft tyres. I'm going 195 up front and 205 at the back to start with. These may get bigger as time goes on, but the current budget dictates this. I could replace with the cheaper R888's, but I've found a couple of reasonable deals on the Kumho.
3/ Fit the new shocks I ordered from GAZ, and try the variety of springs I have acquired.
4/ If I don't get the opportunity to do Wiscomb or Gurston in Sept, I'll do a track day at Oulton Park and have a play there with the suspension settings and boost.
It's a great car, and Chris has done a tremendous job putting it together. Thanks for letting me buy it Chris