CA18DET SS1 Sprint Car

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, Roger Pennington, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

Corky
RSSOC Member

Re: CA18DET SS1 Sprint Car

Post by Corky » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:24 pm

CNHSS1 wrote:You need to factor in that it ideally needs setting up on a rolling road to get full benefit, but since itll need a new power figure anyway itll need dyno time anywah.
Effectively you want to "map" the boost curve to the power curve, backing off boost where you get a spike and upping boost where theres a slump.
That's the plan. Just need to work out where to take it.

There's a place in North Manchester that I'm thinking of taking the Audi to for a remap, I'll enquire there or at the place in Stockport that Josh recommended :? Plenty of time before next season though..

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car, Honda S2000, VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:36 am

Exhaust manifold and turbo are now back together. Fitted with the new Nissan gaskets !

Ran it up to temperature and it seems to sound and run beautifully. Better than it has done all season.

The raspy sound on the overrun is the exhaust.

I've changed the spring in the actuator to a 0.5 bar one, which would probably put the power down to around 170bhp ish. Hopefully this will take the strain off the actuator diaphragm and it'll become reliable again :roll:

The bleed valve that's fitted will allow about 0.7 bar of boost in its current setting which is down on what it should be running. So the next step is to choose a boost controller. Truth be known, I'm confusing myself with all the choice and I don't want to get it wrong. My criteria is :

* It must be good quality, not some eBay tat.
* It must retain all of its settings when the battery is disconnected.
* I must be able to engage it whilst wearing race gloves or (ideally) it should work all the time without having to switch it on for each run. Quite a few seem to default to stock boost unless you start them up each time you switch on the ignition.
* It must be under £300

Current contender is this http://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/product/e ... index.html

The reason I've pushed to get it running again is that it's supposed to be on the stand at the Manchester Classic Car Show this coming weekend. So not only is it running again, it's had some Cheshire treatment too:-

Steve
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:36 am

I think I've now read the manuals and customer reviews for about ten different electronic boost controllers :roll:

The problem I have with them is that they are either too complicated, too blingy or a mixture of both.

I just want something to control the boost accurately and ultimately make the car quicker and smoother to drive. Set it up once and leave it alone. I want a simple method of switching between high and low boost modes, that doesn't require scrolling through menus and sub menus. Call me old fashioned, but simple usually works :lol:

Anyhoo.... I think I've found the very thing. It doesn't have a GUI, an LED interface, bells, whistles or flashing lights. It just has a big switch that toggles between high and low boost modes. It gets great reviews and comes in at around £175. So I've ordered one from Amazon, as I know their returns policy is good should it not live up to my expectations.

Does anyone have any experience of these ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004PPVJDS

Steve

scimmy ben

Post by scimmy ben » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:55 am

looks like a good choice, simple adjustment and generally less to go wrong. Also from a make that has been around for a while.

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:59 pm

It arrived today and looks like a really well made solid bit of kit. With two boost settings available at the flick of a switch, it should do the trick nicely.

It probably won't give the boost quite as smoothly as one of the more techie versions would, but I've learnt that simplicity is often the key in this game.

Steve

CNHSS1

Post by CNHSS1 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:33 pm

Turbosmart make top kit :-)

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

Return to “Project Progress”