Sabre Ti Cheshire Cheese.

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, philhoward

Corky
RSSOC Member

Sabre Ti Cheshire Cheese.

Post by Corky » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:56 pm

As the title suggests this is a mini project to get my recently acquired Sabre Ti back on the road. I have no intention of doing anything cosmetic, as it'd be a real shame if I parked it in a hedge.

Many of you will recognise it and know exactly where it came from...... :lol:

The jobs list looks something like this :-

Thicken fibreglass where the floor has been lowered
Fit standard seats and seat belts (I've got these)
Fit new tyres (I want something cheap and sticky)
Fit new windscreen (yet to source)
Fit replacement door frames (sourced and awaiting fitment)
Work out why it smokes when hot, a little bit from the exhaust and a bit from under the exhaust manifold :?
Sort out the plumbing. If anyone has any photos of the correct layout please post some pics (see how it is below)
Rewire fan to otter switch.
Work out why the headlights don't pop up.. (I've tried doing it manually a few times, the reset button etc. but not checked the wiring as yet)
MOT & TAX
Go for a run/track day etc. and see if I actually like it...... :lol: if I don't............. get your bids in :shock:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Corky on Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Steve
Current:- SS1 Ti RG sprint car, Honda S2000, VW Touareg 3.0 V6
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6
Project Threads & YouTube

“It's not the winning, it's the taking apart that counts"

CNHSS1

Re: Sabre Ti OTR mini project

Post by CNHSS1 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:12 pm

plumbing looks about right, top from aux filler has a cut'n'shut hose, normally goes 90deg down from aux filler to the double steel section mounted on chassis, then back up to top entry onrad, but all pipes look to go to the right places from memory

cheap soft tyres, ex clio cup slicks for trackdays, or colway rally remoulds.

Dave Poole has a screen

dont worry about smoking from exhaust initially. if its stood for ages the turbo seals may not be round anymore, the oil drains out of the turbo bearings and the weight of the compressor and exhaust wheels of the turbo rests on the seals. Bit of use can often brinbg them back round and the smoking stops (the oil pressure pushes them back into shape). Unlikely to be valve stem seals (unlike the CVHs), but could be the engine 'breathing' heavily. Check the top breather hose from rocker cover to turbo inlet hose has a restrictor in it. Could be worn bores, but not that likely either if it runs and pulls well.

Oil under the turbo could be leaking drainflange or pipe (very little pressure so only whiffs of oil smoke) or oil turbo feed pipe (usually leaks liek a ba5tard as its under high pressure!)

the other thing that causes smoke from exh and under turbo hsing, is a cracked or damaged core, but pretty unlikely.

Oh, and whats not to like? cheap, fast and relatively pretty (for a small scim) :mrgreen:

Racing is life, everything before and after, is just waiting--Steve McQueen
6 time Class Champ, 2006 & 2014 SSSC Champion

RIP Batmobile, await the Rise of Dark Knight 8)
Sabre 'Light Sabre' 360hp!!

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:53 pm

Thanks Craig, I see what you mean with the plumbing. That's one job ticked off the list now !

I'll see if EARS have got any of the tyres you mention. They're in Macc', so are quite handy for Motorsport bits, and I know they do slicks etc.

As for liking the car. Well...... I'll have to see if it's as much fun as a GTC. Secretly I've been dying to know what all the fuss is about, whilst scoffing at pointy scims..... :lol: maybe I'll become a convert.

Steve
Prev:- Sabre Ti, 3xSS1 Ti, SS1 16v Turbo Racer, 5XGTC, 2XSE6B, 2XSE5A, 2XV6 Coupe, Sabre 6

swoakes
RSSOC Member

Post by swoakes » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:04 pm

Hi Steve, You will like it; could not believe how quick my Ti was/is. If the weather behaves I hope to bring it to the noggin on Tuesday. Steve

Steve Oakes
SS1 DET Sprint Car

Former cars
SS1 DET Turbo sprint Project
Sabre Ti
SS1 Ti
1971 Yellow 5a
1985 SS1 1600
1978 Green/Silver 6a

"Fail to prepare and you are preparing to fail."
Benjamin Franklin

toomanysabres
RIP

Post by toomanysabres » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:06 pm

Colway went bust a year or 3 ago

Now: '62 Sabre 4, '63 Sabre Six, '65 SE4, '00 BMW E38 740i sport.
Prev: '53 ZephyrZodiac, '64 Sabra GT, '68 Elan S3SE, Mk3 Cortina 2000GXL, Mk4 Cortina 2000 Est, 3 SE6a's, 2 SE5a, SE4a Turbo, 1800Ti.
Company: Cav SRi, Cav SRi 130, Honda Concerto 1.6 (yuk)

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:16 pm

C-Tyres (Colway Tyres & Motorway Retreads) went bust in 07 following a dispute over rent on the premisies - the liquidator/landlord wouldn't let them trade whilst in the hands of the receivers which was madness given their turnover. A company called Mark Gum in Poland bought the rights and the machinery in 08 but as of this year the name hasn't re-appeared AFAIK?

Jim King

SECURE DRY STORAGE FOR YOUR SCIMITAR

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

CNHSS1

Post by CNHSS1 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:05 pm

they are Maxsports now, look like the same product

If EARS havent got them they will have an alternative

as for comparing it to a GTC, my TVRs a GTC in drag (albeit prettier :mrgreen: ), and the SS1 ran rings around the handling A-B, although the Tiv is better for covering long distances as its longer geared and longer & wider so less pitchy. The V6 is better 'in gear' as you can hoof it, without changing down, whereas a turbo motors a bit dull below the boost threshold RPM. Scim is more rattly and feels cheaper imho.
Nothing even comes close to the S series noise though, its even lusted after by the V8 Tiv crowd 8)

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:22 pm

The TVR versus GTC, hmmmmm ! How many passengers does a TVRs carry ?

The GTC is a great family classic, but maybe not as quick as a Trevor. Perhaps the sabre will be a great 2nd scim.

Just checked with EARS (they're on eBay). I can get a full set of Yokos for £156, which doesn't sound too bad.

Steve

CNHSS1

Post by CNHSS1 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:37 pm

Tivs not that quick, although it feels much quicker than it is.

yes Tivs more antisocial than a GTC, but then its a sports car not a family car...
Touche :wink:

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:36 am

CNHSS1 wrote: but then its a sports car not a family car...
Touche :wink:
................. :lol:

Steve

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:07 am

swoakes wrote:Hi Steve, You will like it; could not believe how quick my Ti was/is. If the weather behaves I hope to bring it to the noggin on Tuesday. Steve
I look forward to seeing it, and having a look under the bonnet....

Steve

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:08 pm

I managed to find a bit of time to make a start on the Sabre :-

After some issues with a couple of fuel filled cylinders preventing the engine from turning, I managed to get the car idling nicely at around 1000rpm. The smoke from around the exhaust manifold looks like it's just crud burning off from the lay up, so hopefully it'll clear after a good run. Very little smoke coming from the exhaust now, so I think that's beginning to clear itself too. An oil change is on the cards if I get some free time this week. Plugs are now nice and clean (what a job getting to those :evil: and getting the leads back on :shock: ), air filter cleaned and oiled :)

I stripped out the layers that Jim had put over the lowered floor and cleaned up the steel plate and applied some red oxide. I then put in several layers of fibreglass to thicken up the area, I'll do the same underneath at a later date. The passenger side seat is now fixed in position and so is the seatbelt, I'll do the drivers seat if I get chance this week.

Still got a couple of electrical jobs to do; rewire the fan to the otter switch and work out why the headlamps don't pop up.
Then there's door frames to install, tyres to change and finish off polishing the weld spatter off the windscreen (I may not need a new one now).

Steve

Corky
RSSOC Member

Re: Sabre Ti OTR mini project (now with added questions)

Post by Corky » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:51 pm

I've been thinking about my plans for this car and was going along with the theme of a fast road car. However, after a long chat with a bloke at a party who's just started racing (and is older than me..) I've been thinking about possibly sprinting or hill climbing it next year.

I've no idea what I need to do for the car to be eligible. Jim sprinted the car in the past, but my acquisition deal didn't include the bucket seats or harnesses. If I buy some, do they have to conform to any particular standard, and do they need to be marked as such ?

Are there any other things I need to do ? Can I run standard tyres ? I think the shock at the front are adjustable, is this OK ?

Any help would be much appreciated, as I don't want to buy the wrong parts.

Steve

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:00 pm

AFAIK, Harnesses now need to be 3" wide; play safe and get FIA seats (steel framed ones like the low end FIA Sparco ones are very reasonable and actually fit) and not sure if the 6 point cage (see Craigs thread) is mandatory or just advisable - for the money its worth it for a) safety (no need to preach to you there) and b) extra chassis stiffness...

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5, Sabre Mk2
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti/SE5a 24 Valve
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Corky
RSSOC Member

Post by Corky » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:15 pm

philhoward wrote:AFAIK, Harnesses now need to be 3" wide; play safe and get FIA seats (steel framed ones like the low end FIA Sparco ones are very reasonable and actually fit) and not sure if the 6 point cage (see Craigs thread) is mandatory or just advisable - for the money its worth it for a) safety (no need to preach to you there) and b) extra chassis stiffness...
I hadn't though about a cage, I assumed my roll bar was compliant with any regs. I'll have a look through the compie discussions :wink:

Steve

Return to “Project Progress”