Coupe Build From Australia

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Re: Coupe Build From Australia

Post by Coupe Racing » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:46 am

Have you considered any extra strength around the fuel filler ?
When fitting the tank and connecting tube the body can flex where the filler cap and pipe are mounted
Also consider the limited amount of thread for the nut on the filler tube

Blessed are the Cheese makers

Better to be an hour early than 1 minute late

mermar74

Post by mermar74 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:57 am

Coupe' Racing wrote:Have you considered any extra strength around the fuel filler ?
When fitting the tank and connecting tube the body can flex where the filler cap and pipe are mounted
Also consider the limited amount of thread for the nut on the filler tube
I addressed issues earlier in the build by reinforcing this area with steel plate at the rear, and a steel collar inside the hole. The plumbing nut used now tightens on steel and not GRP; my pet hate!
Also made sure enough thread engaged the nut for proper retention.

This was all noted in a previous instalment.

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:07 am

Sorry so much to read

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:07 pm

Waouw, a brand new Coupé shell, well done Victor.

Mine has so many coats of paint that I think I would have to go to the same lengths just to correct the minor blemishes.
So I'll live with them, my car looks perfect at 3 metres ;-)
Interesting to see the servo housing like mine and of course the reverse glassfibre laminating technique which I inadvertently pioneered.

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Rhubarb SE6a V8 1979-1997 Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014-2018
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day

fightingtorque

Post by fightingtorque » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:38 am

This is amazing.

I don't know much about coupes, but looking at the floor I suppose you have a pair of 6V batteries under the rear seat and a spare wheel in the bottom of the boot? So where does the fuel tank live?

Andreas H.
RSSOC Member

Post by Andreas H. » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:16 pm

Is this real?

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:44 pm

Yes Andreas

Victor has too much time on his hands :lol:

Victor, Re your alternator, I use a Brand New one that produces up to 90a, it`s listed for boats of all things and has a direct battery take off that produces 14.5v at tickover, actually cheaper than most refurbs on fleabay.

Mark

Mark Wilson. See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s,1 & 1/2 GTC`s, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

toomanysabres
RIP

Post by toomanysabres » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:16 pm

fightingtorque wrote:This is amazing.

I don't know much about coupes, but looking at the floor I suppose you have a pair of 6V batteries under the rear seat and a spare wheel in the bottom of the boot? So where does the fuel tank live?
FYI A normal standard coupe has a 21-gallon tank high up at the back of the boot under the parcel shelf. Also originally a coupe had 2 x 6v batteries either side of the radiator. Not sure if Victor has relocated stuff.

Now: '62 Sabre 4, '63 Sabre Six, '65 SE4, '00 BMW E38 740i sport.
Prev: '53 ZephyrZodiac, '64 Sabra GT, '68 Elan S3SE, Mk3 Cortina 2000GXL, Mk4 Cortina 2000 Est, 3 SE6a's, 2 SE5a, SE4a Turbo, 1800Ti.
Company: Cav SRi, Cav SRi 130, Honda Concerto 1.6 (yuk)

fightingtorque

Post by fightingtorque » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:51 pm

toomanysabres wrote:A normal standard coupe has a 21-gallon tank
Wow! That's huge?

Coupe Racing
RSSOC Member

Post by Coupe Racing » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:31 pm

Now work out how much it will cost to fill with super unleaded

Pepe

Post by Pepe » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:06 pm

Hello Victor!

Really really accredit your work on the body.

I can still recall all the itchy overhead work under the car doing body surgery, all the fibres and rust and dirt falling on me all covered up in my boilersuit with glasses and breathing mask covered up as much as possible - after hours of work the lightest powerfile will end up in weighing a ton overhead. I am glad it over...

... and still it is not as well done as yours :)

Good job.

1975 SE5a restoration link
Image Image

747PETE
RSSOC Member

Post by 747PETE » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:48 pm

Its always a pleasure to "drop in" and see the latest posts on your rebuild Victor and I can see your car was in very good company in that bodyshop....do I see a Ferrari Daytona lurking in the background :-) They have done a splendid job of your bodyshell looking at those images.

mermar74

Post by mermar74 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:31 pm

Continued from previous instalment;

Body Fit Out

With the body now in base primer and back in my workshop, the next lot of work will concentrate on a complete body fit out to correct any component fit issues and drill the many holes closed during body repairs. As well, more planned mechanical upgrades will require further body mods and a total rewire including installing and wiring the EFI computer has yet to be carried out.

This fit out will provide an opportunity to achieve a standard of fit and finishes more in keeping with what I desire, and far above the scant factory original. Once this work has been carried out, the car will be totally dismantled again and the bare body sent to the paint shop for final prep and paint.

Work started by firstly readying the body to reunite with the assembled chassis.
I cut new chassis to body insulation from neoprene rubber sheeting and lightly glued these to tops of chassis. Neoprene was chosen as it is resistant to oil, grease and petrol and does not degrade with time.

The body was next lowered onto the chassis and all body mounting bolts torqued. With the body in its final settled position the closed holes can be drilled and all attached hardware accurately aligned.

I next concentrated on completing the EFI plumbing to the engine.
A suitable adjustable fuel pressure regulator was purchased and mounted inside the engine compartment. This was followed by finalizing the fuel lines connecting the regulator and fuel rail to the rest of the fuel lines on chassis. The tight confines of this already overcrowded engine compartment made it difficult routing these lines away from the exhaust and other dangers.

This lot now finalizes all EFI plumbing on this car; a job 7 long years in the making!

Next, a method of delivering filtered outside air to the engine intake needs to be discovered. This will be no easy task as little room is available in the engine compartment to house an air filter, and the forward opening bonnet hinges occupy the most suitable location for hose ducting outside air.
The easiest solution here is to fit an outside bonnet scoop, but this was quickly ruled out as I have no desire to go in this direction.

After much thought and experimentation I come up with some ideas on solving these issues and made a start.
The downwards front sloping bonnet greatly restricts space where the air filter needs to be on this car leaving only enough room for a cone air filter smaller in diameter than the throttle body.
I next set out to find such a filter and found a promising candidate listed in the K&N catalogue. It turns out this particular filter is not stocked in Australia and only available in the UK; this was duly ordered and upon arrival mounted directly to the throttle body. Much to my relief it cleared the closed bonnet with just enough clearance.

Next, designing the air delivery;
Ducting outside air through hose is not feasible on this car; instead I designed a method of picking up air from behind the grill and directing it to the air filter. This will require a hole cut in the front panel above the radiator, and an under bonnet scoop; fortunately the cross flow radiator allows room for this mod unlike the taller upright original.

I started by cutting a rectangular hole into the centre of front panel. Templates of the under bonnet scoop were next made and trial fitted. The scoop will have 4 walls; a bottom, two sides and a rear wall that will seal against the rear face of air filter element. A sheet aluminium infill mounted to underside of bonnet will provide the top scoop enclosure with bonnet closed. The scoop will fix solidly to the car body and allow for uninterrupted movement of the engine mounted air filter inside the scoop.

The templates were next duplicated in sheet steel and the scoop fabricated.

The top of scoop must follow closely the contours of bonnet underside with minimal gap for effective sealing of scoop against bonnet underside. A foam strip glued to the top of scoop will seal the gap with the bonnet shut.

This mod has produced good results and will provide a good supply of outside filtered air to the engine intake.

To be continued:
Victor Pace

DARK STAR
RSSOC Member

Post by DARK STAR » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:51 pm

Very neat, superb work as usual Victor.

Chris Johnson
RSSOC 1979> Rhubarb SE6a V8 1979-1997 Dark Star Coupé 1989> Scimitar France 2010> Vert Soleil GTC 2014-2018
Scimitar France Website No1 on Google, updated nearly every day

747PETE
RSSOC Member

Post by 747PETE » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:42 pm

A very elegant solution Victor,almost a venturi effect as well.I just wonder how much movement there might be from the engine relative to the fixed duct.The chap who did all that bodyprep deserves a real pat on the back!

Return to “Project Progress”