Joe's 1972 GTE - Wiring loom Repair

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

User avatar
Nigel Clark
RSSOC Member
Posts: 474
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:57 pm
Location: Market Harborough, Leicestershire
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 42 times

Joe's 1972 GTE - Wiring loom Repair

Post by Nigel Clark » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:39 am

Great work Joe. I'm seriously impressed by your attention to detail!

Nigel



willholderogri
RSSOC Member
Posts: 781
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:47 pm
Location: chippenham
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Joe's 1972 GTE - Wiring loom Repair

Post by willholderogri » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:12 pm

Joe. wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:19 pm
To operate the new heated screens I have altered the existing heated rear window switch. Instead of a simple rocker that was either on / off the aim was to modify it to a momentary type doing: front /off / rear. This sounds horrifically complicated but is actually a fairly easy job!

I started by sorting through my collection of used switches and found a spare screen wash switch,
joe where did you get the timer relays from and how much were they


1962 mini, bedford CA , KR200. morris 1000, mini pickup.several escorts,ford grandad.ford cortina X2 ,astra, SE5A x 2 ,ford focus.

User avatar
David Tew
RSSOC Member
Posts: 236
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:09 am
Location: Cotswolds
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Joe's 1972 GTE - Wiring loom Repair

Post by David Tew » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:48 pm

willholderogri wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:12 pm
Joe. wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:19 pm
To operate the new heated screens I have altered the existing heated rear window switch. Instead of a simple rocker that was either on / off the aim was to modify it to a momentary type doing: front /off / rear. This sounds horrifically complicated but is actually a fairly easy job!

I started by sorting through my collection of used switches and found a spare screen wash switch,
joe where did you get the timer relays from and how much were they
I have done something similar for the heated front screen, heated rear screen and radiator fan. I used some momentary Angel Eye switches and wired them so that they glow when the timer relay is on. I got the switches from a well known auction site HERE and HERE. They work a treat and cost about £7 for each application. :)
Heater timer.jpg
Heater timer.jpg (133.56 KiB) Viewed 227 times


SE4B Coupe - completely rebuilt on brand-new chassis.
RSSOC member since 1978. 😲
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes…including you.

User avatar
Joe.
RSSOC Member
Posts: 701
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:23 am
Location: Sussex
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Joe's 1972 GTE - Wiring loom Repair

Post by Joe. » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:34 pm

willholderogri wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:12 pm
Joe. wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:19 pm
To operate the new heated screens I have altered the existing heated rear window switch. Instead of a simple rocker that was either on / off the aim was to modify it to a momentary type doing: front /off / rear. This sounds horrifically complicated but is actually a fairly easy job!

I started by sorting through my collection of used switches and found a spare screen wash switch,
joe where did you get the timer relays from and how much were they
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-Time-Del ... :rk:1:pf:0



User avatar
Joe.
RSSOC Member
Posts: 701
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:23 am
Location: Sussex
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Joe's 1972 GTE - Wiring loom Repair

Post by Joe. » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:43 am

Exhaust midboxes - Finished

Anyone on the RSSOC facebook group will be aware that my progress in this thread isnt entirely up to date... So In the next couple of weeks I'll try and fill in some of the gaps.

This post carries on from my last post on exhaust midboxes. Its a bit of a break from the wiring posts. The main electrical work is now complete. Though there is another installment on radio fitment that I might come back to in future, If i can actually admit in public that I've ditched the Motorola Radio-cassette in favor of a modern* radio. :oops:

The last post on the exhaust system was on page 24, of this thread: http://www.scimitarweb.co.uk/sgwrs/view ... 45#p448711

I'd ripped up my old blowing drivers side midbox and bought some replacement silencers... with a view to welding them on to my exisiting pipes.

I sturgggled to get the passenger side silencer off, in the end it took lots of heat and a large hammer to free it from the tubular manifold...!

Image

The pipes i wanted to reuse were cut out and cleaned up with a flap disk.

Image

They turned out to not be a particulaly good fit in the new silencer. Not great for welding.

Image

So I took them to a local tube fabricator to get them stretched. Care was taken to avoid the old welds which could have cracked. Last time I came in they were making stainless handlebars for Raleigh choppers 8) I've had a few odd jobs done by this company in the past and they always do good work and dont mind doing small one off or custom jobs.

Heres a few pictures of the pipe being stretched:

Image

Test fitting:

Image

And a photo of their pipe bender just because I liked it:

Image

Heres the the finished job, £15 well spent:

Image

Image

Which was then ready Dave to weld:

Image

Which menant the entire exhaust could finally be refitted:

Image

Image



MikeT
RSSOC Member
Posts: 1217
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Dudley, West Mids
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Joe's 1972 GTE - Wiring loom Repair

Post by MikeT » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:40 am

Looks good Joe!


1978 Scimitar SE6a - Project thread

Image

Post Reply

Return to “Project Progress”