se6 chassis and build progress.

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46, philhoward, erikscimitardemon

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:41 pm

Roger and Andrew
I would not be worried about dust and dirt falling into the cleaned out switches as they are quite obviously upside down.

See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s, GTC, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:09 am

Datsundrew
You "blasted with contact cleaner" .......did you read the original how to article which advised greasing the springs and inside the holes and ends of the plastic plungers/V of the rocker copper so that they would slide easier? I have used silicone grease (plumbers supplier) silicone being long lasting, in the past.....another said use lithium grease (but did not explain why) Also have you smeared the contacts and studs with contact grease (special stuff designed for electrical contacts to help prevent the arching that causes the burns that then gives big resistance and causes worse burning)?

Dennis

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)
1980 GTC Trafalgar Blue, 2010 basic Skoda Yeti (petrol), Austin 7s, Rileys.

Datsundrew

Post by Datsundrew » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:53 am

Are new ones available? No doubt I'll have to remortgage if they are!

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:03 am

twin position switches are (headlights, fans, fogs) - look for TR7. Not sure about single position switches such as hazards?

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), TI SS1 (snotty), 1600 SS1 (G97), 1600 SS1 (C686CCR), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), 1400 CVH EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick),
1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:12 am

Bear in mind that TR7 do not have the illumination window, but you can swap the new innards into the old housings.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

gtcse8
RSSOC Member

Post by gtcse8 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:32 am

I got LOTS of NOS BL switches that I pull apart to replace the old worn out components inside standard Scim switches, some TVR wedges used the same ones too.

As a result I got quite a lot of the outer unit to replace the Scim ones that have broken locating fingers and refuse to stay put.

Mark

See the Beast on youtube under" RELIANT SCIMITAR CONVERSION LOL.,Se5,Se5a, Se6a, Two Se6b`s, GTC, SST 1800Ti & not a lot of sense

Datsundrew

Post by Datsundrew » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:53 pm

Thanks Dennis, yes I did, and I may well do, I just wanted to try to get things working quickly as most of the wiring has been disconnected or moved in some way. My stupidity as I assumed that things not working was due to me fiddling, and only after a lot of frustrating hours I realised that it was dodgy switches.

Datsundrew

Post by Datsundrew » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:58 pm

A bit more sorted this afternoon, I've got all the dash gauges connected up and working! I got the alternator wiring made and connected up, so we now have charging. I ran it up to temperature and can confirm that the heater works very well and although the original fans aren't brilliant, they are quiet and as I've got a big matrixin the dash it doesn't need a lot of air to move the heat through the core. The temperature sender on the engine seems to match the gauge ok and it reads 90 as the thermostat opens and the radiator starts to do its job. I've not got a sensor to operate the cooling fan yet, not sure what I'll use yet, but I ran it until almost boiling and connected the fan who saw the temp drop quickly back to 90.
I'm using a volvo 850 fan, which moves a massive amount of air (and amps!) in the volvo this blows through the air con condensor and the radiator so has to be quite good.
Next job is to neaten up my wiring under the bonnet......it's a mess!

Datsundrew

Post by Datsundrew » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:15 pm

I forgot to mention the dash warning (triumph based) thingy......
The left indicator warning was dim and the low fuel light didn't work, so I took the unit out and found 3 blackened bulbs, two blown and one working...that was the left indicator. The blown ones were the fuel light (surprise,surprise!) and the hand brake.
I tried to find bulbs, and ended up with a google search that led me search for Lilliput bulbs. Apparently they are used in dolls houses and train sets? Anyway a pack of 10 led ones are ordered, along with other dash bulbs too. I'm going all LED :D

AJL Electronics
RSSOC Member

Post by AJL Electronics » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:45 pm

Not the ignition lamp though, the alternator needs to have sufficient current through it. An LED may well stop it charging.
Last edited by AJL Electronics on Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yes, we can mend your Scimitar!
Order your Scimitar parts any hour of the day at http://www.classicmicrocars.com (member's discounts).

Fancy a holiday in Gael, France? http://www.ianrhu.com

There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig.

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:09 pm

Also may be worth noting that there isn't in fact a specific "handbrake warning" as such. The two red lights at the bottom of the cluster are for brake pad wear and hydraulic fluid failure. When the handbrake is operated, it shorts out those two circuits to switch on the lights and prove that the warnings are still working. So they only have a secondary function as handbrake lights. So if one lights up when you're driving down the road, it probably doesn't just mean you've left your handbrake on, but something rather more serious! :wink: (though the brake pad wear light will only work for real, if you have pads with the warning sensor wires).

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

Datsundrew

Post by Datsundrew » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:44 pm

Oh good call on the ignition light! That would have got me stumped as it would have lit up but not given the resistance as you said. I had an incident many years back with a datsun........3 alternators later, it was the bulb!

Datsundrew

Post by Datsundrew » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:51 pm

I've not seen any wires for brake fluid failure, or pad sensors anywhere, I think they are long gone. There's a few wires behind the headlights going 'spare' though. Do you know where the wires from either come from, is it from the loom behind the lights!
Is the fluid failure a level sensor on the cap? Mines not got one.
IMG_4065.JPG
IMG_4065.JPG (310.21 KiB) Viewed 268 times

ronnie

Post by ronnie » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:57 pm

Look under the master cylinder and you'll see a 2-pin plug connection
Wires for the fluid reservoir should be close beside

Pad wires are either side near the x-member towers look for them on the loom coming out beside the wiper and also over the other side Black/White coloured

Enjoying the progress.........

Datsundrew

Post by Datsundrew » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:41 pm

Thanks Ronnie! I'll have a look tomorrow.

Return to “Project Progress”