Se5a Rolling rejuvenation project

If you have a long-term project and would like to share/document progress, this is for you.

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, Lukeyboy46, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Re: Se5a Rolling rejuvenation project

Post by AnotherTim » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:38 pm

And the day reveals that of my two planned Scimitar rejuvenation options I will do....

... neither of them. I will instead spend the whole morning dealing with excitable clients who suddenly decided last night that they urgently need my attention.

===
Taking a break
===

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:11 pm

Some reference shots of the appalling bodgery I'm planning to tackle. Just to signal my intent to the gods of work & progress ...

===
Taking a break
===

Oldconn
RSSOC Member

Post by Oldconn » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:08 pm

That sunroof looks remarkably like the one fitted to my car, which works perfectly and has never leaked, presumably because it was properly fitted in the first place. I do find it very pleasant to have the extra light coming in, and the fresh air in summer.

PS: That's a real Scimitar!

"When I grow up, I want to be me"
-Kermit Weeks
Current: SE6A; 998 Mini.Previous: Morris Minor,Ford8, Cortinas Mk1 &2,MG Midget 1932,Morgan 3W 1934,Lagonda Rapier,Austin Maxi,Riley ElfMk2,Peugeot 505,Rover 420 SDI

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:17 pm

I suspect my sunroof is the right sunroof for a 6, which I presume has a wider, less arched roof. On my 5 though it sits proud at either end and really doesn't look flush with the roof at all like it does on yours.

When you said "Thats a real Scimitar" I thought you meant your 6 versus my 5, and I was about to say HOW DARE YOU SIR! until I enlarged the pcture and realised you're holding a scimitar!

That really IS a Scimitar.

:D

===
Taking a break
===

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:18 pm

Hmmmm,

I have a long round trip planned tomorrow, to collect a grill from Scim_rebel. 90 miles either way.

Jacked the car up today to make sure the sump bolts haven't worked loose again... they haven't so that's good.

Also had a look to see if I could see anything obvious with the speedo cable. Seems to be pressed home at the gearbox end with no signs of recent movement, so I have to conclude the cable has broken, or the clock has broken.

But then I noticed the sump drain plug still seems to be dribbling oil, so I tried to give it a gentle turn with the right sized spanner. It wasn't tight, so I gingerly gave it a turn, and a turn, and a turn.... it didn't tighten up at all.

So I've lost a thread.

At first, I didn't think too much of it. I decided as a short term solution to the oil dribble that I'd pack some Sugru around the area of the sump body and drain plug head. At that point my thoughts were merely about a temporary means of ensuring I didn't lose too much oil. Sugru is good for this sort of thing because it can very easily be cut off again once it's time to address the problem properly with the right parts. So I then ordered one of those magnet-cored sump plugs from BurtonPower.

At no point this morning did I consider that by making a few attempts to tighten it up today, I may have cut off any remaining thread, and I may now be in danger of losing my my sump plug on a long journey along three motorways. All I was thinking was that the Sugru packing might help resist the slow dribble. It's only slight.

I did give the plug an outward pull between fingers and thumbs and it seemed to be firmly in place and unwilling to pull straight out... but since then the idea has finally occurred to me that it could be foolish to try and drive 180 miles with a threaded sump plug.

Foolish?

Which thread generally goes first, the plug's or the sump's?

It looks to be the original style style of sump plug...

My oil change late summer may have been the point where it got threaded, or it may have already been threaded and I merely upset it further - it was always dribbling oil so I suspect it was already damaged. I was very careful about removing and refitting it and it seemed to tighten, and wasn't over-tightened when I re-fitted it... finger tightened and then just brought to 'snug' with a 15-20º turn of the wrench.

===
Taking a break
===

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:59 pm

Pretty sure I already know the answer to this query now I've finally got to sit down and think about the actual risks rather than the slight dribble of oil I was focussed on temporary fixes for.

So bl**dy frustrating. I've got it all planned out... first long journey in my car for months.

Dammit. DAMMMM-ITTTT.

===
Taking a break
===

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:01 pm

That doesn't look original to me? Is it a metric size?

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), 1600 SS1 (G97), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: SE6a (Katrina), 1400EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick), 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), TI SS1 (snotty), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

scimjim
RSSOC Member

Post by scimjim » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:03 pm

And yes - plug normally strips first.

Jim King

Current: SE5 (8Ball), 1600 SS1 (G97), 2.5TD SE5a (diesel 5a), 6 x random other SS1s.
Previous: SE5, 3 x SE5a, 2 x SE6a, 3 x SE6b, GTC, 2.9i GTC, 3 x 1600 SS1, 1300 SS1, Mk1 Ti Sabre, Mk1.5 CVH Sabre
Chief mechanic for: SE6a (Katrina), 1400EFi SS1 (Grawpy), Sabre/MX5 auto (The Flying Broomstick), 1400 K series SS1 (Megan3), TI SS1 (snotty), 1300 SS1 (Number One) & Sarah's coupe.
CURE THE FAULT - NOT THE SYMPTOMS

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:09 pm

I've always assumed it was one of these (pic from Burton website)

But i've been a little nonplussed by the tall shoulder between the thread and the head.

I guess at this point I really have to hope that whatever this is, it's softer than the pan and therefore it's this which has threaded.

But..... I've probably ordered a new plug that wont fit, because this is probably an oversized plug for a re-cut hole. Dammit.....DAMMMMMITTTT.

It all suddenly seems silly to be expecting to drive that far. Might have to take the wife's Ford CMax.

= (

===
Taking a break
===

Roger Pennington
RSSOC Member

Post by Roger Pennington » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:15 pm

Mine in the mulberry car was like that when I first got it, and one of the first jobs I did was an oil change. after a part turn on the plug, it fell out, with a stripped thread (on the plug, fortunately), so I had to replace it.

I've never liked the original sump plug - that large head is an open invitation to use a large spanner, and then it's so very easy to just tweak it a bit too hard "for luck" . I much prefer most of the modern ones which seem to have a 1/2" (or similar) hex size.

....Roger

RSSOC member (since 1982)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Condition can be bought at any time; Originality, once lost, is gone forever" - Doug Nye

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:18 pm

Right, sensible plan.

1. Remove the plug. See what size it is.

2. Check the thread on the sump pan.

3. If the hole has been recut and still has thread, I'll need to find the right size bolt to plug it.

4. If the sump pan has insufficient thread. Look for new sump pan.

===
Taking a break
===

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:21 pm

Roger Pennington wrote:Mine in the mulberry car was like that when I first got it, and one of the first jobs I did was an oil change. after a part turn on the plug, it fell out, with a stripped thread (on the plug, fortunately), so I had to replace it.

I'm really annoyed because aside from dribbling a very small amount (almost not enough to worry about for the kind of mileage I do) it has so far been fine and done it's job. From recollection it came out and went back in perfectly when I did the oil change. So it would have been fine.

Where it no longer feels fine is that I have now turned it more in trying to tighten it... and discovering it doesn't tighten... so today's act of trying to tighten it now makes it an unknown entity and a risk.... and that fact didn't even occur to me until I sat down with my laptop to order a new plug. Only then did I realise I have turned an imperfect thread and probably made it a high risk weakness.

I'm so annoyed. I really want to leap into the car and hit the road with confidence tomorrow.

I guess I should be thankful that the penny did finally drop before I set off on my cross-country jaunt.

===
Taking a break
===

Dennis Nicholas
RSSOC Member

Post by Dennis Nicholas » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:38 pm

Tim It looks like you have a copper washer in use......they work harden after a while and can leak a little.....best use a fibre or nylon version or at least a new copper one.

It may be that a previous owner has used the wrong size plug....looking nearly the same dia/thread. My radiator had that problem and was weeping so I tried tightening and it just 'striped' but on closer inspection it was just too small a plug and a new one correct size was perfect.

Den

Dennis Nicholas(RSSOC)
1980 GTC Trafalgar Blue, 2010 basic Skoda Yeti (petrol), Austin 7s, Rileys.

AnotherTim
RSSOC Member

Post by AnotherTim » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:50 pm

Thanks Dennis.

It does have a copper washer. I have ordered a nylon one with the new plug. At this point now I really have to hope that canny luck plays me another kind hand and a new plug/washer saves the day.

I keep playing over and over in my mind the attempts to turn it tight this morning. It's pretty much rendered my car un-driveable... just a few seconds of trying to tighten it and it's now an unknown risk. I'm feeling very annoyed, and yet it was perfectly reasonable to test it to make sure it was tight.

Local place appears to have this third party plug available, listed for a 73 Capri 3.0 so I presume it's (technically) correct. Burton plug wont arrive for three days by which time I suspect I'll be back in London working, so I might try this £4 critter tomorrow morning purely for a fit test, just to see if it beds home, and then at least I'll have a sense of whether or not the sump is salvageable.

http://www.cliffordsbrighton.com/compon ... ug-220111s

===
Taking a break
===

philhoward
RSSOC Member

Post by philhoward » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:01 am

Not so sure it's an M14 plug on an Essex engine?

Edit: nope; it's 1/2"UNF. Or should be.

Phil Howard
Scimitarweb Forum Admin
SS1's - 1600 Rooster Turbo; Sabre Mk1.5
SE5a Barn Find Project 24 Valve conversion
Previous: SE5/5a/SS1 No.1/SS1 Rooster/SS1 1800Ti
http://www.ss1turbo.com
Never try and argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you based on experience.

Return to “Project Progress”