Those Pesky Rear Hubs Again

Moderators: scimjim, philhoward, erikscimitardemon, Roger Pennington, Lukeyboy46

daved
RSSOC Member

Those Pesky Rear Hubs Again

Post by daved » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:33 pm

I have a half shaft removed from my 5a complete with back plate bearing and spacer etc., usual problem removing that hub to get at a rough bearing. Tried all the excellent advice from this forum, have a good solid hydraulic 12ton full flange extractor, wind on hard go and mow the lawn, put on more pressure and heat, sharp crack with a large hammer. Gone through this cycle a couple of times still rock solid. Anyone got any other tricks ? I have good workshop facilities my thoughts are to grind a flat on the bearing outer and split it, chop through the cage just leaving the inner track. This will permit the back plate spacer and oil seal retainer to be threaded off over the shaft, now with the extractor wound on there is access to give the hub a mighty belt on the inside. Anyone tried this ? If all else fails is there any one in the West Wales, Mid Wales area that is aware of a good garage or engineering shop with a big press and the intelligence to use it ?

Return to “Se5/5a”